Please Make the 4 Ball purple again

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
Just watched Turning Stone Great as always
Many times the commentators and viewers couldn't tell the lay out confused with the colors of the balls .
Why did they change the color of the 4 ball?
Please change it Back!

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree I couldn't figure out where it was at all , 3 and the 7 also ,, I think it's the quality of the stream though I've seen other streams that's not so hard to recognize the colors

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
under the arena lights, before the tv set, the 4 ball was a deep purple and from far away in the stands, many got the 4, 8, and sometimes 2 confused.

Now the 4 and 5 jive a little but in person they are hard to confuse. The streaming table should have more lighting, but it uses available light and yes, on camera, very hard to differentiate 4 and 5.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Camel

In the 90's I attended a Camel Tour Pro stop in Nashville. It was held in the Convention Center. All the tables had Camel colored Simonis and it was easy to see all colors no matter where you were sitting.
On the floor near the vendors they had a table set up with that cloth so you could test hit cues. It was unbelievable how distinct the balls looked on that cloth.I never understood why for TV they never used that color cloth.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
There are so many different set designs trying to stand out. Maybe for the next event, perhaps the ball sponsor can make it easier by giving the people commentating in the booth a color chart.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
As a commentator it can be very difficult to discern the balls on a TV monitor. In my opinion the original colors worked best, and the trend to using snooker ball colors for pool balls was and is a mistake.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The colors of the balls blend in well with the commentators inexperience in the game of pool. Some of the things they say, make me shake my head. They can't successfully predict the next two shots, yet they try. Often, they predict a draw shot, only to see the shooter stroke and follow for position. Yes, they fit right in with the balls that are shades of pink, orange and red.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think better lighting of the tv table would make a huge difference. Many of the streams
have a problem with lighting.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you know what all the other balls are, then just use process of elimination to find the 4 ball.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like these:

IMG_0270.JPG

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
under the arena lights, before the tv set, the 4 ball was a deep purple and from far away in the stands, many got the 4, 8, and sometimes 2 confused.

Now the 4 and 5 jive a little but in person they are hard to confuse. The streaming table should have more lighting, but it uses available light and yes, on camera, very hard to differentiate 4 and 5.

I was there in person watching from the stands and I had a hard time figuring out the 4 and 5, so I don't think it was the camera. Maybe they are easy to figure out when you are at the actual table. I never saw a player accidently shot the 5 instead of the 4.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there in person watching from the stands and I had a hard time figuring out the 4 and 5, so I don't think it was the camera. Maybe they are easy to figure out when you are at the actual table. I never saw a player accidently shot the 5 instead of the 4.

Actually Pat Fleming did in an early match. But Pat is colorblind so he certainly should have been looking at the numbers.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Yes, those do just fine. Like them for TV and like them for league. One of my leagues uses the odd colored balls, and rather than stumble when I call a "coach", as I don't want him/her to shoot the wrong ball, I just say shoot the light blue ball or whatever pretty ball he needs to shoot ;)

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was watching from the floor table and yes, in the stands, it's hard to make out the difference when the light hits them just right. Like in the rack where the 4 and 5 were almost frozen in the corner pocket and Shane made that great shot down the rail to the opposite corner on the 4. I imagine the 4/5 looked really similar from the stands. However that was the problem with the 2,4, and 8 from the stands with the old set. Many times in the right angles that 4 was just as dark as the 8.

But yes, the closer to the table you are, the better they show up in difference.