Re-tipping and ball polishers

jumunjo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

I am looking to draw on the collective wisdom of my fellow members.

I own a pool hall in the U.K and all looking for 2 items to complement our services to our customers.

Firstly am looking for a re tipping set up that does just that. Not ferrules/pins/wraps etc. Just tips. As long as it's a small (ish) set up, preferably portable and can provide a professional finish. Suggestions please. (Ps, I once owned a unique travel companion but wasn't to impressed with the accuracy in the travel of the tool post)

Secondly, am looking for a ball polisher, but can't justify why a decent one costs several hundred dollars when the parts don't even cost a 100! Any suggestions (please, not the bucket polisher!)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

J.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Well the polisher I would suggest is like the diamond one, which rotates on multiple axis's
But costs hundred's less, however shipping across the pond will suck!

It's made here in the us , I own one, does a perfect job polishing my Carom balls

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have nothing to add that addresses your query...but we'd love to see your room and perhaps get a bit of a story too, about its history and current life?

We do like pool up in hrrrre.

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re-tipping by hand is pretty easy. The only specialized tool you might want is a circular tip sander. Other than that you just need a razor blade, some glue, sand paper/tip tool.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Re-tipping by hand is pretty easy. The only specialized tool you might want is a circular tip sander. Other than that you just need a razor blade, some glue, sand paper/tip tool.

Don't forget he needs a can of elbow grease also.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I've heard a lot of good things about the Willard tipper machines. This would be a great alternative to getting a larger machine. You can find these from time to time used but in great shape. You can place a "wanted" ad in the wanted/for sale forum to see if any are avail.

As for polishers, I have the diamond which is prob the best but yes, $995 to the UK is very high. I know in many threads people have been very pleased with two products that have been used in commercial settings, one is the Ballstar and the other is by Bludworth. Def less expensive than Diamond and both should do a very nice job.

GL and as BB said, would love to see pics of your room and some background. :smile:

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Are you reluctant to disclose what the brand name is?

Not at all, not so much a brand as a person I've sent several people to him and they love it too

He's on here although I don't know his screen name
But he's on Facebook , name is Robert ingold

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I own a pool hall in the U.K and all looking for 2 items to complement our services to our customers.

For a pool room the dual platter Diamond Ball Polisher is the route to go. It does a full rack at a time, does not take for ever and it performs like it should. Getting people to clean the balls is hard enough, give them a good machine to use and the balls most likely will get cleaned more.

Trent from Toledo.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I've heard a lot of good things about the Willard tipper machines. This would be a great alternative to getting a larger machine. You can find these from time to time used but in great shape. You can place a "wanted" ad in the wanted/for sale forum to see if any are avail.

A more cost effective measure to the Willard Tipper (which is an excellent choice, btw) is
the Porper Big Shaver. Like the Willard machine it takes a bit of practice but once you develop
a routine, a system so to speak it's reasonably easy to use and convenient.
There are also (or have been) on eBay the tipper contraptions from Asia. They appear to
be plastic and look like they're not very well made but they seem to do the job. They almost look
like a grenade. So there are several choices

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a pool room the dual platter Diamond Ball Polisher is the route to go. It does a full rack at a time, does not take for ever and it performs like it should. Getting people to clean the balls is hard enough, give them a good machine to use and the balls most likely will get cleaned more.

Trent from Toledo.

Could not agree more- you invested in a business and you should invest in the best business tools - cleaning balls with a bucket contraption as some suggested is not the way to go for any serious business person.

jumunjo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like above mentioned, the dual Diamond polisher on a rolling cart! Extension cord wraps on one side while cleaning supplies on bottom shelf. Such as a small vacuume, ball cleaners etc. wheel it table to table! .