1952 World 3-C Championship, San Francisco

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a picture of the 1952 World 3-C tournament which was held in San Francisco and run by the BCA.

Full view:

BCA 3C 1952 full reduced.jpg

Left group:
Unknown - Welker Cochran - Referee, Sebastian - Tour Secretary, Charles McElligott - BCA Official, John Canelli

BCA 3C 1952 left.jpg

Center group:
Irving Crane - Masako Katsura - Willie Hoppe - Kinrey Matsuyama - Joe Procita

BCA 3C 1952 center.jpg

Right group:
Ray Kilgore - Herb Hardt - Jay Bozeman - Arthur Rubin - Joe Chamaco - Tex Zimmerman

BCA 3C 1952 right.jpg

I saw three of the players play (Crane, Katsura, and Procita) and had a cue made by Zimmerman. A friend(?) of mine once tried to steer me into a one pocket game with Procita. I declined as I wanted to play nine ball.

Here is the tournament chart on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masako_Katsura#/media/File:1952_World's_Three-Cushion_sheet.png

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a copy of this photo among some of the things Robert Byrne bequeathed to the USBA.
Bob's desire was for the USBA to raise money through the sale of what was donated.
This photo will be for sale once everything is inventoried and cataloged.

The copy I have was poorly framed and the print is wrinkled but I think it can be repaired to nearly new condition.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good stuff Bob, thank you

Hoppe was starting to look like Anthony Hopkins or maybe an old John Lithgow lol

robertno1pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Classy Billiards

Why no pants dropping below the belt line ???

Perhaps something to be re-learned to elevate the game(s).

:grin-square:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
whats with all the suits? I bet Efren could spot all of them all while wearing t-shirt...

Because billiards are for grown ups , not children
Thanks

if you think effren would win 40 point match with hoppe at any age of eithers life , then your worse off than your post suggests

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
March 6 – 22, 1952
World Three Cushion Tournament
924 Billiard Club – San Francisco, CA
Game: Three Cushion Points: 50
Field: 10 Format: Round Robin
Prizes: $20,000

High Run: $50 Ray Kilgore 11
Best Game: $100 Jay Bozeman 23 innings
Admission: Afternoon: $1.20 & $1.80
Evening: $3.00

Note: This was the first time a women (Masako Katsura) competed in a world tournament.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
whats with all the suits? I bet Efren could spot all of them all while wearing t-shirt...
But could he beat them while wearing the required suit?

That is how all major tournaments were conducted through the 1960s in the US. The World 14.1 in 1977 was in coat and tie.

Timkrieger

I have a copy of this photo among some of the things Robert Byrne bequeathed to the USBA.
Bob's desire was for the USBA to raise money through the sale of what was donated.
This photo will be for sale once everything is inventoried and cataloged.

The copy I have was poorly framed and the print is wrinkled but I think it can be repaired to nearly new condition.
Hi Sir, I would like to buy this photo if you happen to have it still? I found this thread researching this photo. Please let me know if you still have it?

Thanks!

Timkrieger

Here is a picture of the 1952 World 3-C tournament which was held in San Francisco and run by the BCA.

Full view:

View attachment 453079

Left group:
Unknown - Welker Cochran - Referee, Sebastian - Tour Secretary, Charles McElligott - BCA Official, John Canelli

View attachment 453080

Center group:

View attachment 453081

Right group:
Ray Kilgore - Herb Hardt - Jay Bozeman - Arthur Rubin - Joe Chamaco - Tex Zimmerman

View attachment 453082

I saw three of the players play (Crane, Katsura, and Procita) and had a cue made by Zimmerman. A friend(?) of mine once tried to steer me into a one pocket game with Procita. I declined as I wanted to play nine ball.

Here is the tournament chart on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masako_Katsura#/media/File:1952_World's_Three-Cushion_sheet.png
Hi Bob, I am looking for a copy of that top photo. I saw

Full view:

View attachment 453079

Left group:

View attachment 453080

Center group:

View attachment 453081

Right group:

View attachment 453082

Hi Bob, I’m looking for a copy of this picture with everyone around the Centennial. Do you happen to have a copy for sale? I saw the picture in Grissim’s book Billiards and have been looking for a copy for my collection.

Thanks

Attachments

• F7049F9D-5607-4BBD-B432-E4434DBC6681.jpeg
    F7049F9D-5607-4BBD-B432-E4434DBC6681.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 76

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Hi Bob, I’m looking for a copy of this picture with everyone around the Centennial. Do you happen to have a copy for sale? I saw the picture in Grissim’s book Billiards and have been looking for a copy for my collection.

Thanks
Here is a higher-resolution copy. Is this good enough?
1952 3C Tournament picture

Last edited:

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
A friend(?) of mine once tried to steer me into a one pocket game with Procita. I declined as I wanted to play nine ball.
I wonder, with the benefit of hindsight, would the memory of having been hustled by Procita be worth it?

I know you move in higher circles in the game, but to an average Joe (pun not intended!), a modest loss might be a fun memory.

I'm reminded of a guy I know who won a martial arts world championship when he was ahead on points, and in the final few seconds his opponent got him in a submission hold, so he allowed his arm to be broken in order to win. Pretty brutal, but given what goes in to getting to that final, it's got to be worth it. Actually that's not the same at all. But it's an interesting 'what would you do'.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder, with the benefit of hindsight, would the memory of having been hustled by Procita be worth it?

I think it would have been worth it. The main point of all of this is to have experiences, isn't it?

Reactions: Pin

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I think it would have been worth it. The main point of all of this is to have experiences, isn't it?
Agreed. I can imagine having a different view in the immediate aftermath of losing my bankroll though! It's interesting how one's perspective can change.