Shims under slate coming loose

GodinSession

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I recently got my first table and I have two questions.

1st - The shims between the frame and slate keep coming loose. Not all of them but some of them. The installer used wooden wedges. I find some under the table, having fallen out on the floor. Is this normal?

2nd - This is most likely related to the shims coming loose but is it normal/ok to be able to feel the seams between the three pieces of slate. I can’t feel them with just my bare hand but I can if I hold a ball in my hand and slide it over the seams. I can’t feel the seams everywhere, but in places I can. It does not seam to effect play. If I slow took a ball over them it does not seem to make a difference to how the ball rolls.

I have been putting the shims back in and trying to fix the seams by using the wedges as much as possible. Having a tough time getting it perfect. I think I have it pretty close and then within a few weeks there are shims on the floor again.

Thanks for any advice/feedback.

GodinSession

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have been to my house 3 times!
Definately not calling them again.

So is it not normal then for shims to come loose under the table. They have two small shims stacked on top of each other. I'm wondering if that is the issue. Instead of having just one, they are stacking two because the thick side of the shim is smaller that the gap between the frame and slate.

I would think now also that the seams have been comprimised since the slate has shifted...

GodinSession

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know of any good installers in western pa\pittsburgh area? I looked in the list on here and did not see any listed.

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Sounds like all the leveling has been done between the frame and the slates and nothing under the legs. Unless the frame sags really bad you should never need to stack wedges at the seam. If i were to fix it i would probably start over taking the slates off...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

GodinSession

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the shims are loose are they not making proper contact?

So they are tight, making good contact when first put in, but then after a few days\weeks, I find some on the floor. I think it may be because they are two shims stacked on top of each other. Not sure. I think I need to get some different shims, that are thicker on the thick side and replace the ones the installers have stacked. Or just use a dab of glue like was suggested. Not sure....