Shooting Line of Sight

On a Side Spin Shot, What Do Align Your Eyes With?

• The shaft

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • CB/OB contact points

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • CB center

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Other / Varies / Don't Know

Votes: 8 13.6%

• Total voters

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
When you're down on the shot, ready to pull the trigger with some side spin, what are your eyes aligned with? Are you looking straight down your shaft? Contact point to contact point? Through the CB center? Somewhere else?

I look straight down my shaft for a few reasons: so my cue/stroke aligns consistently with the rest of my stance, so I can see that my stroke is true, so I can see where my cue/stroke is pointed.

Why do you do what you do?

pj
chgo

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I try to do it as you've described, but I suspect I'm not properly aligned as often as I am so. The arthritis in my neck makes it difficult to know when I'm aligned "straight". Gettin' old is a *****!

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
CB to OB contact point for me.

85 to 95% of side spin shots I align as center ball then pivot. (BHE).

RBC

Deceased
I actually don't really know where my eyes are aligned.

I look at the contact point I'm aiming for, but other than that I don't really know.

I'm assuming my alignment is at least consistent, but that doesn't have anything to do with how I'm aligned, only that it's some what consistent.

Royce

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I look straight down my shaft for a few reasons: so my cue/stroke aligns consistently with the rest of my stance, so I can see that my stroke is true, so I can see where my cue/stroke is pointed.

pj
chgo

Hi Patrick, I hope the cue ball gets in the way of that stroke once in a while!

Actually, Ernesto told me he does the same thing. He consciously aims the shaft. I believe all pool players do that whether consciously or sub-consciously. The shaft is the only real thing you can aim come to think of it. If a player was blinded to the entire cue, I don't think they would make much. This could probably be tested.

Personally I visualize the contact point, adjust my visual for the English throw, align to that CB contact point and sight down the shaft the to the OB aim point, look at the OB and shoot.

I do it because this is the only way I know how to accurately hit my contact point.

Last edited:

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I drop down on the line running thru CB center and and ghost ball center, :eek:
with my cue tip at the required english position. I try to ignore where my cue shaft is pointing,
and just trust my eyes and alignment. I do not think about compensating for anything.
I'm not sure why this works for me, but I assume it has something to do with my shaft pivot point and bridge length.

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you drop down on the shot line or move straight into it?

While standing, I am already the correct distance from the CB, so I drop straight down,
on the CB 'heart' to the GB 'heart'. I call it the heart, because I try to look inside the ball
to see it.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'm a little surprised that contact points is winning (2:1 so far) over shaft and CB center.

pj <- go figure
chgo

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you're down on the shot, ready to pull the trigger with some side spin, what are your eyes aligned with? Are you looking straight down your shaft? Contact point to contact point? Through the CB center? Somewhere else?

Somewhere else.

I look down the line I want the CB to roll.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Maybe. What are they?

pj
chgo

While there are many players that aim with their cue ball, there are just as many that aim with their cue stick.

"Aim Points" are when we would aim at a pre-determined point at the OB knowing full well that is not the "contact point". All "contact points" have a correct "aim point"!

Stick aimers like to aim like they were using a rifle. Aiming with or through the middle of the cue ball does the same thing.

randyg

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
While there are many players that aim with their cue ball, there are just as many that aim with their cue stick.

"Aim Points" are when we would aim at a pre-determined point at the OB knowing full well that is not the "contact point". All "contact points" have a correct "aim point"!

Stick aimers like to aim like they were using a rifle. Aiming with or through the middle of the cue ball does the same thing.

randyg
I get you now - thanks.

I "aim" contact point to contact point, but align my sight with the stick and see where it's pointed (the "aim point") as a crosscheck/confirmation. I don't have a specific aim point in mind when I do that, just make sure it "looks right" that way. It's also a way to check my stroke and to have a "target" to stroke at.

pj
chgo

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I voted for contact points. Once I've decided how much side spin I am going to impart I "calculate" how thin or thick I need to hit the OB to offset the throw. I move the contact point in the direction of the throw.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I voted for contact points. Once I've decided how much side spin I am going to impart I "calculate" how thin or thick I need to hit the OB to offset the throw. I move the contact point in the direction of the throw.

What kind of throw?

randyg

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
I'm not sure how to interpret your poll question, so I did not vote there.

I line up the shot on center of CB to center of Ghost Ball.
If I need English, I bridge on the natural pivot point and use back hand English pivoting on the bridge.