My Schon LTD

Dogman

Registered
Greetings and Salutations,
First post, better make it a good one.......
Wisconsin is home to let's see; McDermott, Viking, J. Pechauer, Jacoby and of course Schon (Cue Cube as well).
I grew up in Milwaukee WI and began playing pool in college at UW-Milwaukee in the early eighties. I've played at the original Romine's High Pocket Billiards when it was on 27th St and Wisconsin Ave. in Milwaukee where I believe Schon Cues was started. I remember purchasing a Schon around 1983 or 84 while in college. Simple cue with no wrap or points, but it hit very well (hindsight is what 20/20? Should have never sold that one.....).

Fast forward a few years and my wife and I relocate to Waukesha WI a suburb of Milwaukee. Within one month of purchasing our home I had our Ohlhausen Drake II delivered by MasterZ's (our local billiard supply house), which is 1/2 mile from our home.

2004 comes along and I am searching for a new cue. Around the same time there was a rash of burglaries in the Milwaukee area involving the theft of high end cues from billiard supply houses. MasterZ's was one of the victims of the burglaries, something like $30,000 worth of cues were taken. This is where the story gets interesting. The perp tried selling them at the 2004 US Open in Alexandria, VA to an unsuspecting fella. That gentleman ended up sending photo's of the cues to Evan Clarke in an attempt to place a value on the cues. You guessed it, Mr. Clarke recognized the cues as stolen and working with local law enforcement in Virginia assisted in having the burglar arrested and they were able to get the stolen merchandise back. MasterZ's couldn't sell the cues as new as they went through hell and back but were never hit or other wised used. I was able to purchase a Schon LTD for 1/2 price and was able to get copies of the newspaper articles of the burglaries, copies of the police report including the inventory list of the stolen merchandise and a receipt branded "stolen".
A couple years later I stopped at Schon Cue Manufacturing with the cue and I met an older gentleman (Even Clarke) who wanted to know in no uncertain terms how and where I came into possession of my cue lol.
I am NOT going to get into a debate on custom v production but I really do have to say their shop is:
1.Tiny
2.Dingy
3.Dusty

Sorry for the long initial post but I've been dying to tell this story for years and thought this site the most appropriate to share my tale.

Played some Intercollegiate tournaments and one bar league a few years back but I drink too much, way too much so now I just basically play at home where my wife can keep an eye on me.

One last thing, yea I dog the eight hence the nickname "Dogman"
See ya,
Dogman

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haha, tiny, dingy, and dusty....very true! I stopped by Schon recently to get the weight adjusted in a couple cues and it was not exactly what I was expecting....but they made the adjustments at no cost and were very nice! Plus, the taco truck out front is quite good!

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Welcome to AZ, Dogman. Just so you'll know, long stories aren't really necessary around here. Usually you can get by with: "Hey, I sure like those Le Pro tips.",or, "Hey, I hear that Tramp Steamer fellow is one handsome dude." You know, shit like that.
Anyway, enjoy the ride, and keep an eye out for the postman. You should be getting your free t-shirt any day now. :)

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. American Made
2. Best Cue Value for decades
3. As always, even in your article, HONEST Cue Maker

With today's cue market, I could only wish people would buy a Schon, a Joss, a Scott Erwin, a Robert Harris, a American built Mcdermott or Viking, a Pechauer, a Schmelke, and so forth. A one month ban against all imports would be really cool.

I am a small business owner with 40 wonderful people working here. Although buildings inside and out are always freshly painted and clean, they are old. Never, would we have survived late 2008 to 2010 if I had pretty building PAYMENTS. We are proud to put American Flag emblems on our products. Maybe all pool cues should have to put a embedded country emblem into the butt of the cue to see where it was copied at, oops, I mean made.
With Schon still hanging in their without high cost buildings, I Thank them for still keeping their awesome end products at an affordable price for their quality. How many other cue companies have gone to big and better buildings, only to seek out cheap cue companies overseas to make x amount of their cues at cheap prices. If these companies would have been smart enough to stay in their buildings of yesterday and continued to make American Made Cues at their old skill process, just maybe their name would come up a few notches on the quality list today.

In no way am I trying to blast your comments, I am just saying, Thank You Schon !!! Many smart cue makers are working out of basements, garages and small rental places. I am fully aware of what it takes to put food on your plate and try living the American Dream.

Dogman

Registered
I concur fully worktheknight. I in no way was disparaging Schon or their building. I was merely attempting to point out that for the people who believe Schon is a large "production" cue manufacturer, perhaps they should visit Mr. Clarke's shop in person. It will shed light on just how small of a "production" cue company they really are. I know all about being self employed/owning a small business but wouldn't have it any other way.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Posr

Awesome post, thanks for sharing the history of your cue.

Anyone involved in building a cue has to love tacos! If you don't like tacos your cues will play no good:)

Rob.M