Who WANTS to be on the Mosconi Cup?

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some time ago, Scott Frost made the statement that he was going to make every effort to make the Mosconi Cup team this year, playing in the tournaments that qualified for the point system that had been implemented. Mr. Frost, imho, deserves a round of applause for stating early that was his goal, and for performing with this goal in mind.
Has anybody else come forward and made public that this is an active goal? With all the uproar last year, I was hoping several, especially Mike Dechaine, would state this early and go for it. Go USA!

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sky Woodward,Justin Bergman and Justin Hall are 3 of the best barbox players in the country missed playing White Diamond (barbox event with over 90k payout).
All 3 played the pro SBE event last week instead because it had Mosconi Cup points that should tell you something

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some time ago, Scott Frost made the statement that he was going to make every effort to make the Mosconi Cup team this year, playing in the tournaments that qualified for the point system that had been implemented. Mr. Frost, imho, deserves a round of applause for stating early that was his goal, and for performing with this goal in mind.
Has anybody else come forward and made public that this is an active goal? With all the uproar last year, I was hoping several, especially Mike Dechaine, would state this early and go for it. Go USA!

I don't think someone "deserves a round of applause" simply because they state a goal.

Frost is a great player and personally I like his intensity; however I have reservations
about him being on the team. Why? He is too much of a 'busybody' in team play.
Did you see the way he micromanaged Tommy Kennedy in Bonus Ball?

IMO his team-style of play doesn't work for the Mosconi Cup.

He's a great ambassador for one pocket and a good teacher in that regard,
but personally, I wouldn't want to be on any pool team with him.

He's too demanding at times and lacks discretion at key moments.
Both attributes that are important within the Mosconi Cup milieu.

Last edited:

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think someone "deserves a round of applause" simply because they state a goal.

Frost is a great player and personally I like his intensity; however I have reservations
about him being on the team. Why? He is too much of a 'busybody' in team play.

IMO his team-style of play doesn't work for the Mosconi Cup.

He's a great ambassador for one pocket and a good teacher in that regard,
but personally, I wouldn't want to be on any pool team with him.

He's too demanding at times and lacks discretion at key moments.
Both attributes that are important within the Mosconi Cup milieu.

I think you're being a little unfair to Scott on the bonus ball. Tommy really needed direction and Scott gave him confidence to perform to an ability he didn't think he had. Scott embraced the team concept and spirit of bonus ball quite well.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
i am convinced USA pro pool is DEAD!!!

Only 2 players with any real heart and that is.

Justin Hall
and
Earl Strickland

Shane god bless his soul has his moments. But, under pressure just does not come with it. His last Mosconi cup performance as an example and the Alex historic big come back. Sadly, on both Shane folded up like a "Lawn Chair".

Other then the two I mentioned. I have seen MOST every usa contender choke BIG time and soil themselves. Witnessed alot of heart from Skyler Woodward and Chris Bartram but recent loses and poor performances leave them light in the resume department.

I still think we need to think outside the box and pull in "John Brumback"

so my team would be " Justin Hall, Strickland, Brumback, SVB, Skyler" alternate Bartram or Frost !!!

leaning towards the shot makers that can MAKE the tough shot or bank to get out of trouble.

KD

d_day

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Justin Hall
and
Earl Strickland

Shane god bless his soul has his moments. But, under pressure just does not come with it. His last Mosconi cup performance as an example and the Alex historic big come back. Sadly, on both Shane folded up like a "Lawn Chair".

Other then the two I mentioned. I have seen MOST every usa contender choke BIG time and soil themselves. Witnessed alot of heart from Skyler Woodward and Chris Bartram but recent loses and poor performances leave them light in the resume department.

so my team would be " Justin Hall, Strickland, Brumback, SVB, Skyler" alternate Bartram or Frost !!!

leaning towards the shot makers that can MAKE the tough shot or bank to get out of trouble.

KD

Funny, I've never seen anyone fold up like a lawn chair more than Earl.

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I applaud anyone who makes the commitment and wants to represent his country in an event such as the Mosconi. Good to hear that Mr. Woodward, Bergman and Hall played the SBE because of the Mosconi Cup. If Team USA is going to put up a good fight, its got to be with players who don't back away from the pressure, and at least some are stepping up.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny, I've never seen anyone fold up like a lawn chair more than Earl.

I guess you didn't watch the match on the 10ft where Earl smoked him and he was sinking in his chair ,,or when King Ko nosed him and blew right by him ,, but to be fair Earl has checked out more than once , if I remember he quit a match against Cory when Cory had that soft break working ,,
Which like the Hoodie he outsmarted every one so they changed the breaking rules

Last edited:

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
auto 10K payday even with a team loss. 20K if USA wins.

Theres a reason these guys are playing in all the scoring tournaments.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member

Many of the Bonus Ball players needed and appreciated the micromanagement because they weren't familiar with the game and the rules. To his credit, Frost quickly mastered the rules (and therefore the strategy) of the game.

I agree, he can be very intense at times. Some personalities will complement that...and others will clash with it.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Top USA players don't play doubles or team pool. At the top, there is NO reason to tell a partner how to shoot their game. Why tell them to copy Europe. Johnny A. started that crap about 10 years ago. Top players don't need to be told what and how to shoot and don't like it. I'm sure Mark Wilson and the MC people want the players to talk. USA players will never get loose that way and don't roll that way. Johnnyt

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Nice out of context quote...the EXACT quote was:

Mr. Frost, imho, deserves a round of applause for stating early that was his goal, and for performing with this goal in mind.

Scott has played in the MC points events and has played very well. After the SBE event he is tied for 2nd in points. That is stating a goal and going out and working hard to achieve it... that is what the OP is applauding in his post.

It doesn't matter who any THINKS should be on the MC team, it only matters who plays well and EARNS a spot on the team.

10407713_10153180424645115_1452516279868752740_n.jpg

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don give a shit who plays, could be Bruce Jenner in a miniskirt and Nancy Reagan for all I care, I just want a WIN for the US of A.

Justin Hall
and
Earl Strickland

KD

Looks like you're after players who can get you INTO trouble to me.

The USA keeps losing because you cannot control the CB.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Looks like you're after players who can get you INTO trouble to me.

The USA keeps losing because you cannot control the CB.

The safety game will be WON by the person who can make the BIG shots. After or during safety battles big shots come up and way too often the return safety is 10 times harder then the shot! You got to MAKE the big shots!!! At this level, every one can run a "COSMO". But, who can spear a ball length of the table for the win or bank one in from the back rail???

The team i suggested could beat the entire EUROPE team in round robin banks!!!

none are favored against Earl, Justin Hall, Brumback, Skyler or SVB???

Please name ANY europe player you PREFER over any one on my proposed squad playing "Bank Pool"???

KD

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The safety game will be WON by the person who can make the BIG shots. After or during safety battles big shots come up and way too often the return safety is 10 times harder then the shot! You got to MAKE the big shots!!! At this level, every one can run a "COSMO". But, who can spear a ball length of the table for the win or bank one in from the back rail???

The team i suggested could beat the entire EUROPE team in round robin banks!!!

none are favored against Earl, Justin Hall, Brumback, Skyler or SVB???

Please name ANY europe player you PREFER over any one on my proposed squad playing "Bank Pool"???

KD

That's all fine and dandy if thier playing banks ,, but thier not so that's irrelivent