Gilbert 2000.....what's it worth?

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment image.jpgA buddy of mine purchased this Gilbert last weekend and asked me to try and find the true value of it. All I know about Gilbert's is what I have seen and read on here, and it's been nothing but good things. I combed the entire cue pretty good and there's not a mark on it. Rolls straight together and apart.
Looking for some of you that knows these cue's to maybe assure me it's authentic and a ball park value. I could not load more than one pic. Probably due to using my smartphone. If it can't be identified then I will get more pics tomorrow.
Thanks in advance.....:thumbup:

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Like all other things, the value of an object is what the last person gave for it.
Andy, and Vicky, who are personal friends of mine, create cues that, in my opinion, are priceless. That really doesn't answer your question, but it's as close as I can get. :)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would appraise that cue in the $800-1,000 price range. Having only one shaft is a negative, but being in near new condition a plus.

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
junk

I bought a Gilbert for $2,000 and it was loaded. Guess what? It hit like $hit! It was the worst hitting cue I have ever owned. I will never buy one again. Don't know what the deal was - but it was junk. I only get burned once by a maker. There's not a second time.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
I bought a Gilbert for $2,000 and it was loaded. It was the worst hitting cue I have ever owned.

Back when I could play a little, I'd have simply said "you need to get out more"

I'm on my 9th Gilbert now and they have all hit well...and all been very beautiful, just as the PH cue in the OP's picture. I collect box cues and sell cues at the various shows when I can...I have owned hundreds of high end cues and have an informed opinion. Gilberts are fantastic playing cues.

I've played with big name cuemaker's product that was disappointing. Your remark remainds me of a Scruggs cue that wasn't to my liking...or my first hit with a Tascarella. Both of these guys are masters of their art. I caught cues that for whatever reason were not for me. Sometimes it is a matter of changing a tip or shaft taper but I try not to label a cue builder, new or famous...or future Hall of Famer based upon a single experience.

Bravo for standing up for yourself, and for having strong opinions about how your cue should feel. I'll bet you that in time and with experience however, your feelings about cues and particularly Gilbert cues will change.

I put that cue at $1200. Andy has one of the strongest names in cuemaking today and that recognition always adds a premium when selling a quality cue. Folks other than nutsfortascarellas know how well they play...or have seen their opponents demonstrate how well Gilberts play.

I boasted having owned many cues from notable makers...here is a fact: my Gilbert will be my LAST cue to go.

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tip

By the way - I changed tips 3 times to make sure. Nothing hit solid. I had several very experienced players try it - some of them old timers. Everyone said there was something wrong with it. I do get out plenty Pal. I play every day. I travel to play, been to Vegas, etc. It turns out that something was wrong with the A joint. I won't buy from someone would that leave his shop that way - knowing that they will spend their hard earned money on it...

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
By the way - I changed tips 3 times to make sure. Nothing hit solid. I had several very experienced players try it - some of them old timers. Everyone said there was something wrong with it. I do get out plenty Pal. I play every day. I travel to play, been to Vegas, etc. It turns out that something was wrong with the A joint. I won't buy from someone would that leave his shop that way - knowing that they will spend their hard earned money on it...

I think, Gian (drawman623) was polite and accurate in his response.

I'm curious, are you saying the cue you had actually left Andy Gilbert's shop new with a bad A-joint?

Did you buy the cue directly from Andy?

Hard to imagine this happening their excellent reputation.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Around 1000 for this cue. I find the other information surprising. Andy's construction, and in particular his A-joint /handle construction, is as solid as any maker's.

via Tapatalk

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I bought a Gilbert for $2,000 and it was loaded. Guess what? It hit like $hit! It was the worst hitting cue I have ever owned. I will never buy one again. Don't know what the deal was - but it was junk. I only get burned once by a maker. There's not a second time.

That's completely possible, and could be completely no fault of Andy himself. The cue could have been a custom build for somebody who had odd, personal specs. Andy makes the cue to perfectly match what the customer wanted, then customer sells the cue afterward. Everybody who hits with it will probably not like it. That's not a knock on the cue maker. He made the cue exactly as requested. It's nothing more than you preferring different criteria in a cue than the person who originally ordered that particular cue. Point being, could very well be the cue was originally commissioned by somebody wanting weird specs. If so then it's not the maker's fault.

edit: the "A" joint info came while I was posting. Is it possible you maybe received a cue that had been abused?

BWColeman

BWC
Silver Member
Gilbert Cues

the best hitting cue i have ever played with is a 99 Gilbert owned by a good friend of mine . Unfortunately after 10 years of asking , begging , and horse trading i still cant get him to part with it lol.

As for the comment of Gilberts hitting bad , it could be just a one off that Nutsfortascarella had the unfortunate luck of getting . it happens even the best of the best cue makers have a flaw or two here and there

And As it has been said so many times Cues are so subjective to the player , what may be the magical best hit ever to me may feel like a crooked tree branch to the next guy

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hit

I bought the cue from a person that is well known on here. He buys them new - then resells. The cue had not been abused. It was new. The joint was piloted ivory. I had it checked by a famous cuemaker - (not going to name - that would just cause a bunch of trouble). The joint turned out to be faulty under the ivory. Something was loose. I have been playing over 30 years. I like the hit of many different cues with various pins and construction. I know when something is wrong. I was so disgusted that I GAVE the cue to a good friend of mine. I let him know what was wrong and told him to do whatever he wanted with it.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I have a Gilbert Cue and have known Andy for years. I met him at the Glass City Open and seen him many times at the Derby and the SBE. I bought a Gina and told Andy that the Gina feels and plays like a Gilbert. He laughed and said that he was sure that Ernie would like hearing that. Honestly it really does hit and feel the same as my Gina.

🎱