What is you favorite wood?

prulhiere cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a cue maker. I know I have my favorite woods. If you had your pick, what wood would you like to see a cue made from? I myself like the looks of Redwood Burl and Ribbon Sapelle, but want some new ideas. So fire away, and give me some ideas.
TDRedwdBurl.jpg

sapele-pomelle.jpg

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sapelle is one of my favorites as well.

Also...

Gaboon ebony
Curly Koa
Bubinga,
Madagascar rosewood
Lacewood
And maybe my favorite.....Pernambuco (sp?)

Last edited:

JonTravisTaylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a cue maker. I know I have my favorite woods. If you had your pick, what wood would you like to see a cue made from? I myself like the looks of Redwood Burl and Ribbon Sapelle, but want some new ideas. So fire away, and give me some ideas.
TDRedwdBurl.jpg

sapele-pomelle.jpg
MORNING??............

Just kidding, is the top picture Redwood Burl?? I have never seeenit before but it looks awesome!

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Mine would surely include

Masur Birch

Macassar Ebony

And really densely eyed Birdseye Maple

Attachments

• Masur%20Birch.jpg
    Masur%20Birch.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,462
  • Macassar%20Ebony.jpg
    Macassar%20Ebony.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,473
  • BirdsEye%20Maple.jpg
    BirdsEye%20Maple.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,416

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
MORNING??............

Just kidding, is the top picture Redwood Burl?? I have never seeenit before but it looks awesome!

My favorite wood is the wood I get from looking at your avatar (I know, I know....too much information :embarrassed2:)

Maniac

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Can't say I have just one, but I have used many for turning including cues both playing and mini cues. I think that black and red palm are stunning when used in pool cues. I also like burls as long as they are not to dark when finished.

I have been collecting and turning Myrtle wood for decades and rarely see it used in the making of cues, it has many different color variations and figure and can be gorgeous.

Of course I still love Maple , both Birdseye and Curly but I also use Juniper because it is local in my area. Juniper is very fragrant and super dense but it can be a little un-stable so be careful when turning it.

Lacewood looks amazing when it is finished as does Lignum Vitae. Snakewood has so far eluded my lathes but I love the way it looks.

Lace Sycamore is another wood that is awesome on a cue but is hard to find and I am nearly out.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Woods

Some good woods mentioned, burl is a pretty wood. I like Southwestern styled cues (Not Southwest, Southwestern, i.e., like New Mexico, Arizona looking cues).

I had a cue with Mexican Bocote' and Padauk that was awesome.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Figured but straight grain Braz Rosewood.
There a gazilion pretty woods but a lot of them are duds in the hit department.
Braz Rowewood is the king.
Pernambuco is the emperror. :)

Last edited:

mm4pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my current favorite is kingswoods which is my current player also. lots of grain character

Mike