APA Sandbagging

tjshaw02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will not now, nor ever listen to a team Captain that tells me I have lose a set. Especially in APA.

End rant...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JeremiahGage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will not now, nor ever listen to a team Captain that tells me I have lose a set. Especially in APA.

I had the same thing happen when I first joined APA in Albuquerque, and my team even tried to get me drunk so I would lose. The culture of the local league seemed to be all about the sandbagging, so needless to say I have not played after that season. I'm not familiar with APA in other parts of the country, but they seem to be quite popular.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I quit an 8-ball team, because of that exact problem with the APA. My captain had told me to lose the next two matches and I told him I quit. It's a problem all over the country. It never ends well for anyone.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good for you, I never have or ever would ask anyone to lose on purpose. How on earth
can a player have fun doing that is beyond me.

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if he just asks you to stretch out your games a couple of innings? What if he calls timeouts, which work to keep you lower in rank?

tjshaw02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if he just asks you to stretch out your games a couple of innings? What if he calls timeouts, which work to keep you lower in rank?

I have made the mistake of doing this for him in the past and unfortunately it turned into a full fledged "you know you have to lose today" situation. I won and left.

tjshaw02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I quit an 8-ball team, because of that exact problem with the APA. My captain had told me to lose the next two matches and I told him I quit. It's a problem all over the country. It never ends well for anyone.

I basically quit today myself, or was asked to not come back for winning, oh well, I would rather enjoy playing!

BigNBeefY

Just Stopping By
Silver Member
As a captain i always ask everyone to play their best...but that doesnt mean that i wont put my weaker or over ranked players in a matchup that they arent likely to win. Sandbagging is bad for any organized league but when we are on the verge of being numbers locked I will alter my strategy accordingly.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm the captain of two different APA teams and have never, and will never, ask anyone to lose a match. One of my teams is qualified for the LTC's and is in danger of not being able to field a team due to players going up. It stinks but I'd rather lose eligibility than to have my teammates sandbag.

Go find a team that enjoys the sport and have some fun. Or better yet start your own.

tjshaw02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a captain i always ask everyone to play their best...but that doesnt mean that i wont put my weaker or over ranked players in a matchup that they arent likely to win. Sandbagging is bad for any organized league but when we are on the verge of being numbers locked I will alter my strategy accordingly.

In my opinion, that is called strategy.

tjshaw02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm the captain of two different APA teams and have never, and will never, ask anyone to lose a match. One of my teams is qualified for the LTC's and is in danger of not being able to field a team due to players going up. It stinks but I'd rather lose eligibility than to have my teammates sandbag.

Go find a team that enjoys the sport and have some fun. Or better yet start your own.

That is our teams problem right there, they had the nerve of asking me if I was a team player or not...

I'm in first right now for Top Gun also, I have never competed in anything to try and LOSE!

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What????????????????

This actually happens in the APA? I'm outraged.

TCIndepMo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please tell us you at least passed on this info to your LO so he could put that team and captain on a watch list. It's not "ratting out your team" if you are the one that is honest and he isn't. Of course the captain will deny everything and blame you as a complainer/poor sport/ etc just trying to get even for not being allowed to play more, etc. Happens all the time.
Being on the "watch list" for one report doesn't prove anything but if that captain accumulates a track record of other/similiar illegal actions then the LO can issue sanctions to protect the integrity of the entire area.
You seldom read it here, but we APA LOs do value honest players and we do try to protect the honest players even if it means kicking out a cheating team every so often.
Those cheating kicked out teams are the ones your hear from on this forum bad mouthing the LOs as playing favorites and being thieves, etc.
I love this job. And let the flames begin.

APA LO since 1980. Indep, Missouri

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TCIndepMo...I hope we cross paths one of these days. I would love to meet you and swap APA stories! LOL :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Please tell us you at least passed on this info to your LO so he could put that team and captain on a watch list. It's not "ratting out your team" if you are the one that is honest and he isn't. Of course the captain will deny everything and blame you as a complainer/poor sport/ etc just trying to get even for not being allowed to play more, etc. Happens all the time.
Being on the "watch list" for one report doesn't prove anything but if that captain accumulates a track record of other/similiar illegal actions then the LO can issue sanctions to protect the integrity of the entire area.
You seldom read it here, but we APA LOs do value honest players and we do try to protect the honest players even if it means kicking out a cheating team every so often.
Those cheating kicked out teams are the ones your hear from on this forum bad mouthing the LOs as playing favorites and being thieves, etc.
I love this job. And let the flames begin.

APA LO since 1980. Indep, Missouri