Shane and Bergman maintain top two Mosconi Cup spots

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read about it here Matchroom News www.matchroompool.com/news/article/...itle/shane-and-bergman-maintain-top-two-spots

Capture.JPG
Capture 1.JPG

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strange title of the article, given that Scott Frost is tied for second. Scott would be an interesting Mosconi Cup addition. I don't know him, but he always seems to have a ... large personality. I watched some of the Bonus Ball matches last year, and my young daughter would watch a little bit, and she said "why is that big guy being so bossy and mean to that little guy all the time?" lol it was Scott telling Tommy Kennedy what to do.

Interesting that Dechaine isn't up there, but there's still time.

Remember also that only the top three places on this list matter. The other two are captain's picks. But I'd like to see Wilson stick to at least the top 10.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Think its gonna be great year hope Oscar makes his way up he really is great player but guess we will see what happens

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Interesting that Dechaine isn't up there, but there's still time. ...

Dechaine is in a tie for 11th currently:

T11. Mike Dechaine -- 13 points
T11. Joshua Roberts -- 13
T11. Alex Olinger -- 13
14. Brandon Shuff -- 12
15. Rodney Morris -- 10
16. Johnny Archer -- 9

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
What a joke. I couldn't pick 5 just from the USA that would be close to favorites. Give our spot to Asia. Johnnyt

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Comical rankings for sure.

I'm wondering which of the players other than Shane has wins to speak of this year.

Over the past six months, Dechaine has reached the final four at both the US Open and the SBE 10-ball. He was 2nd at the Derby City 1-pocket, 5th at the Dragon 14.1 event, and he won the American rotation event at Derby City. He won the Ocean States Championship in November, too.

This past weekend at SBE, he beat Immonen and Hohmann back to back, that's two Europeans who've won the World 9-ball championships.

Any system that doesn't send Mike Dechaine to Las Vegas this year is a joke.

He is America's second best rotation pool player and keeps on proving it.

Let's hope we won't repeat the 2014 mistake of sending out-of-form players to the Mosconi. If we do, I won't attend.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm wondering which of the players other than Shane has wins to speak of this year.

Over the past six months, Dechaine has reached the final four at both the US Open and the SBE 10-ball. He was 2nd at the Derby City 1-pocket, 5th at the Dragon 14.1 event, and he won the American rotation event at Derby City. He won the Ocean States Championship in November, too.

This past weekend at SBE, he beat Immonen and Hohmann back to back, that's two Europeans who've won the World 9-ball championships.

Let's hope we won't repeat the 2014 mistake of sending out-of-form players to the Mosconi. If we do, I won't attend.

Stole the words right outta my mouth. Personally I'd go shane, Bergman, dechaine, Oscar, and make Alex Pagulayan an honorary citizen of the U.S.A.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member

I doubt the MC rankings will take into account 2014 feats. I think the events they will look at will be Jan 1, 2015 and forward to the Mosconi Cup.

Dechaine is going to need to play in the points events for 2015 and he is going to need to perform well in them to earn a spot. If people are ranked above Dechaine atm than it is because Mike has not played in the points events or he has not managed to perform as well in them as those who are above him.

I agree he is absolutely one of the Americans that should be on the team if you look at pure skill, but he has not done what he needs to do in 2015 so far. He has time to turn that around, hopefully he can.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

At least it's a start, something that players must Work for......it's something they've not had in the past, a qualifying path.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Stole the words right outta my mouth. Personally I'd go shane, Bergman, dechaine, Oscar, and make Alex Pagulayan an honorary citizen of the U.S.A.

Just make it Team America vs Team Europe.

One country vs the entire of Europe is honestly idiotic at this point, given the USA has nowhere near the talent of the whole of Europe at this stage in the sport. It might have made sense early in the MC to put the USA up against the whole of Europe, now it is a freaking farce as Europe has far more talent then the USA at this point.

SVB
Alex
Dechaine
Bergman
Morra

That is STILL an underdog against the best Europe can field, but at least they have a chance...

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I doubt the MC rankings will take into account 2014 feats. I think the events they will look at will be Jan 1, 2015 and forward to the Mosconi Cup.

Dechaine is going to need to play in the points events for 2015 and he is going to need to perform well in them to earn a spot. If people are ranked above Dechaine atm than it is because Mike has not played in the points events or he has not managed to perform as well in them as those who are above him.

I agree he is absolutely one of the Americans that should be on the team if you look at pure skill, but he has not done what he needs to do in 2015 so far. He has time to turn that around, hopefully he can.

9 events are being used to determine the 3 players who qualify automatically based on points. The first was the DCC 9-Ball (Jan.), where Dechaine went out in the 4th round and earned no points. The next 3 were the US Bar Table Championships (Feb.), which Dechaine did not enter. The 5th was the SBE, where Dechaine finished 4th and earned 13 points.

The remaining 4 points events are: US Open 10-Ball (July), US Open 8-Ball (July), Turning Stone XXIV (Aug.), and US Open 9-Ball (Oct.).

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
9 events are being used to determine the 3 players who qualify automatically based on points. The first was the DCC 9-Ball (Jan.), where Dechaine went out in the 4th round and earned no points. The next 3 were the US Bar Table Championships (Feb.), which Dechaine did not enter. The 5th was the SBE, where Dechaine finished 4th and earned 13 points.

The remaining 4 points events are: US Open 10-Ball (July), US Open 8-Ball (July), Turning Stone XXIV (Aug.), and US Open 9-Ball (Oct.).

Am I understanding this right to mean there is only 16 points left is someone wins all of the last 4 events? Johnnyt

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Two of the last four events are bar table events, meaning the Mosconi points this year are based on five bar table events and four big table events. Perhaps I didn't hear about it - is the 2015 Mosconi Cup on bar tables? If not, why would we count even one bar table event?

I've purchased Mosconi Cup tickets and I'm alerting the forum now that I'll give them away for free to someone on this forum if the team we select is not, in my view, reasonably representative of America's best rotation pool players.

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's inexplicable for me that a guy like Dechaine didn't enter a MC qualifying event like the US Table Championship.
And please stop all the BS "because it's bar table", if I'm a professional player and know I have a good chance, I would play even virtual pool or monopoly if Matchroom put them on the schedule to get in the team.
Maybe it's just me :rolleyes:.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a joke. I couldn't pick 5 just from the USA that would be close to favorites. Give our spot to Asia. Johnnyt

That 's right. Though that Luke guy will agree and still stubborn that MC will continue to be relevant for long time as USA v Europe
If anything is to change that Luke guy should be fired
:grin-square:

Just make it Team America vs Team Europe.

One country vs the entire of Europe is honestly idiotic at this point, given the USA has nowhere near the talent of the whole of Europe at this stage in the sport. It might have made sense early in the MC to put the USA up against the whole of Europe, now it is a freaking farce as Europe has far more talent then the USA at this point.

SVB
Alex
Dechaine
Bergman
Morra

That is STILL an underdog against the best Europe can field, but at least they have a chance...
Who knows maybe Canada might banned Alex and Morra from taking part- I mean why taint Canada's name by sending the duo to be sacrificial lambs . Canada may not want any part of it :)

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Am I understanding this right to mean there is only 16 points left is someone wins all of the last 4 events? Johnnyt

No, Johnny. Each of the 9 events was rated as Category 1, 2, or 3, with more points available for a Category 1 event than for Category 2, and more for Category 2 than for Category 3.

The only Category 1 event is the US Open 9-Ball. All 5 of the bar-table events are Category 3. The other 3 events are Category 2.

First place gets 30, 20, and 15 points in the 3 different categories. So with a C1, a C2, and two C3 events remaining, someone could, conceivably, receive 80 more points than they have now (30 + 20 + 15 + 15). It ain't over!

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
They have a whole continent and we have a country, it should be North America vs Europe honestly. Then we can have Morra, Klatt, and Alex as possible players. If it sounds like a good idea then give a hell yeah to North 'Merika! :eek:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Perhaps I didn't hear about it - is the 2015 Mosconi Cup on bar tables? If not, why would we count even one bar table event? ...

Hey, we covered this in February.:)

I'm sure you know the Mosconi Cup will be played on a 9-footer.

The reason Matchroom threw bar-table events into the mix is the paucity of significant events in the USA on 9-footers. They wanted to have more than a partial handful of events for players to try to earn their way onto the team.

And, from what mikepage has reported (based on his Fargo ratings) -- (1) the same group of players who are best on 7-footers are also best on 9-footers and (2) they are essentially just as much better than the next-lower-skilled group of players using 7-footers as using 9-footers. Hence, it is OK to use smaller tables as a discriminator of pool skill and to qualify for events on larger tables, or vice versa.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
If we don't send Dechaine we are going to lose. It really is that simple. if they changed the game to 10 ball USA would have a better chance at this thing