A Pool Tale: Nobody Likes to Lose

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actor Jackie Gleason was known as The Great One. But on one afternoon in the early 1970s, Miami carpenter, yo-yo champion. and amateur pool player Jimmy Sanz was The Greater One.

Sanz was a regular on the billiards tables at Bird Bowl in Miami and a long-gone bar on Northeast 79th Street. A gentleman approached Sanz with an offer to play Gleason at the movie star’s house. Jimmy said, "Of course,"and followed him to Jackie’s house. Sanz’s wife Patti said he was a bit leery of the stranger’s unexpected offer so he brought along his brother Richard just to be safe. Well, Sanz beat him.

After Gleason died in his Inverrary home in 1987, Minnesota Fats told reporters that the actor never asked him for advice before taking on the role. “He was very good. You couldn't beat him. And he played real good pool. He didn’t need no help from nowhere,” Fats said. But Sanz could, and did, beat Gleason.

“He wasn’t happy,” Patti Sanz said, laughing. Still, “Jimmy said he was very gracious but nobody likes to lose.” Richard Sanz said his brother won $11,000 or $12,000 that day off the star after the two played several games on Gleason’s billiards tables. Sanz won every round. “He was a pretty good sport and played good pool. It wasn’t one-sided pool. Jimmy was just better that night,” he said.

Jimmy Sanz passed away last month at the age of 77.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/obituaries/article78268552.html#storylink=cpy

Attachments

• Sanz.jpg
    Sanz.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 878

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's where the game took place in the sunken area of the room. It is rumored that Willie Mosconi designed this room for Jackie Gleason at his Florida home.

Attachments

• gleason pool tbale room.jpg
    gleason pool tbale room.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 851

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jackie almost stole the picture

JAM,

Many years ago I watched The Hustler to watch Paul Newman in his part although even then I liked Jackie's acting. These days I watch Jackie. If he would have had another five minutes of screen time he would have stolen the movie from Newman. I have never been surprised to learn he was a player, he had the mannerisms down pat. It is often glaringly obvious an on screen player doesn't know his or her way around a table. Gleason did.

I'd sure like to spend a day in your picture vault. Great story and fantastic pictures as always!

Hu

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actor Jackie Gleason was known as The Great One. But on one afternoon in the early 1970s, Miami carpenter, yo-yo champion. and amateur pool player Jimmy Sanz was The Greater One.

Sanz was a regular on the billiards tables at Bird Bowl in Miami and a long-gone bar on Northeast 79th Street. A gentleman approached Sanz with an offer to play Gleason at the movie star’s house. Jimmy said, "Of course,"and followed him to Jackie’s house. Sanz’s wife Patti said he was a bit leery of the stranger’s unexpected offer so he brought along his brother Richard just to be safe. Well, Sanz beat him.

After Gleason died in his Inverrary home in 1987, Minnesota Fats told reporters that the actor never asked him for advice before taking on the role. “He was very good. You couldn't beat him. And he played real good pool. He didn’t need no help from nowhere,” Fats said. But Sanz could, and did, beat Gleason.

“He wasn’t happy,” Patti Sanz said, laughing. Still, “Jimmy said he was very gracious but nobody likes to lose.” Richard Sanz said his brother won $11,000 or $12,000 that day off the star after the two played several games on Gleason’s billiards tables. Sanz won every round. “He was a pretty good sport and played good pool. It wasn’t one-sided pool. Jimmy was just better that night,” he said.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/obituaries/article78268552.html#storylink=cpy

Another quality post from JAM.
Thanks, JAM.

Catahula

I said "SIT!"
Silver Member
As Always

Thank you JAM for the great post and for reminding all of us of what AZ was meant to be.:smile:
Tommy

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's where the game took place in the sunken area of the room. It is rumored that Willie Mosconi designed this room for Jackie Gleason at his Florida home.

I played on the table that was there, he had several. The original was a brunswick with rails that were covered in bright copper. It was horrible and reflected light in your face. He later had the rails covered over in leather and that cured it. The house by the way was somewhat of a dump. Not one of the nicer houses in the complex. I think it recently sold pretty cheap.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played on the table that was there, he had several. The original was a brunswick with rails that were covered in bright copper. It was horrible and reflected light in your face. He later had the rails covered over in leather and that cured it. The house by the way was somewhat of a dump. Not one of the nicer houses in the complex. I think it recently sold pretty cheap.

460k in 1992 or so.

As per the article, ''twas for sale @300.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Great post! Thank you for sharing it!:)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last time the house was mentioned on our forum, it was brought out that the neighborhood was a little rough. Of course, the home is dated as far as decor, but the location not being a good location diminishes the value of the home too. It's too bad. I'd love to live there just for the historical value of it being Jackie's house. And I'd definitely put that billiard room to good use.:cool:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last time the house was mentioned on our forum, it was brought out that the neighborhood was a little rough. Of course, the home is dated as far as decor, but the location not being a good location diminishes the value of the home too. It's too bad. I'd love to live there just for the historical value of it being Jackie's house. And I'd definitely put that billiard room to good use.:cool:
And...i bet donuts to dollars you can get crack AND meth, within walking distance.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And...i bet donuts to dollars you can get crack AND meth, within walking distance.

He had another really nice house in Rio Vista on the intercostal waterway that no one ever mentions. I think he liked the golf course house because he could play golf everyday. I used to see him like 2 or 3 times a week, He used to dress in really bright clothes and I would see him on the course from like 10 floors up and you could not miss him and his entourage.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He had another really nice house in Rio Vista on the intercostal waterway that no one ever mentions. I think he liked the golf course house because he could play golf everyday. I used to see him like 2 or 3 times a week, He used to dress in really bright clothes and I would see him on the course from like 10 floors up and you could not miss him and his entourage.

I think he might have had a monetary interest in the Inverary Complex in which he lived.