This is interesting.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you imply "we"? I was talking to "he". But it's a public forum and I guess I could have addressed spider in a private message, but he took me out of context in public, so I have a right to defend myself.

That's why I gave a backstory to help establish my position in which im a pretty serious individual, as well as some nutty ramblings, but some could say I'm creative or eccentric or genius or an idiot.

Some could say I'm balanced but not much middle ground and that's probably true. Middle ground feels like death to me. I like extremes and I like to laugh my ass off as well as work hard and think hard.

Some can say im somebody else or speculate im somebody else and I don't care because I'm not quite sure if I have given out my name and if I didn't, then I think there is enough of a trail to find out if someone is compelled.

Say or think whatever you want because I know I put myself out there over the edge, but that's where greatness usually is and crash and burn is a usual result and perhaps I crashed this time, I really don't know, I don't feel like I did and it's not my problem if people don't understand me or get it.

I assure anyone, everything I've said about pool, even my fictitious movie, is designed to HELP and think outside the box........CONCEPTS.

It's not about me, im just a messenger of my findings through very hard work so far and my work will continue.

What I will not swallow though is being taken out of context. I think im in the right when I defend myself in any way I know how. I don't do that to others, other than paraphrasing or perhaps misquoting, but never in a negative way.

I really don't see what the problem is, other than I derailed a thread, but wtf is aiming any way? Not trying to force my will, but it is a overall subjective topic, so in essence, a set up for argument.

I rarely apologize but I will to one pocket John but I suspect he doesn't care and if so, he is right because i am trying to contribute but in my own way that I hope is not typical and once more, I know I am right in CONCEPT.

I repeat, if one does not get it, then that is not my problem and allow me to continue speaking freely in my own way. This is a forum, not a courtroom.

The book of 50 talents talks about keeping things fresh and not stail, I agree with that. I try to offer a different view and I believe someone will gain. If not, I certainly do because as Stan Shuffett said in my favorite video of his, "pull'n my hair out, try'n to figure out CTE".

Man, let me pull my hair out in peace please. "Rambling" helps me. If I can help myself, then I know I can help someone else out and i ohh so like to help people. I give all the time and ask little in return.....but I've found "little" is too much for some. Not referring to any one in this forum, I meant out there in the other world.

Forums don't really represent a true real world on the most part but it reveals a real world of how people really think, because I never encounter things in the outside world like I do in forums, but im no different in the real world, so somebody is full of shyte and I don't think it's me.

I feel good and have been focusing much better as of yesterday and made a very interesting discovery and every day is a progression now and it's really fun. The days of insane mystery are pretty much over. Stan Shuffett knows. Gawd knows how much I bugged him with my ramblings and questions. I haven't emailed him in quite a while now LOL.

Off to the tables and thank you.

ok........

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
..........:eek:

By the way, thanks for that app info and suggestions. I've made interesting discoveries in the process and haven't used any type of high tech gismo just yet.

I may just pick up your book too since it seems you have angle quadrants mapped out in a number type system. I've always felt that may be important but not sure yet.

Thanks

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Free Style (GO AS YOU PLEASE) is the game with a 1 move opening. The great free style players would spend a lifetime honing 1 line, always opening the same way for 70 years. They'd learn all the offense and defense for that one line........In 3 Move the players draw for their opening
( i.e. card 91 out of 142) then the game begins with those 3 predetermined moves. So, all 3 Move champion players would be well versed in 91 or they'd be cooked within minutes.Stan Shuffett
Arthur Reisman wrote an excellent book on transposing the 3 move openings into the controlled, forced, lines of his Pioneer System. I still have that book.
Those who doubt the absolute brilliance required to play the championship game need only turn to youtube and try to master the study of Payne's Draw.
They MIGHT get a concept of 'forced play'.
(BTW....still murdering them with the CTE. What a delight it is to be down on that long distance pressure money ball shot (with all of them watching and hoping you pooch it) and absolutely KNOW that you've chosen the right angle and way to drill it into the pocket. Thanks to you and your publishing of this fantastic way to aim pool shots)
Keep on truckin'
:thumbup:

Last edited:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an expansion of your experiments, see what comes out of it if you tuck or roll on the backstroke. Hold the position at the transition and then stroke.
Use the same ball setups you were using.

What happens?

All of what you found above with "a little, a little more, and more" will come into play.

After this, there are a couple of other things I'll go over.

Good Morning Dave

In red.

I had been working with this since you posted the above. Couldn't get a hold of what you were saying.
I woke up this morning thinking about it then it dawned on me.

To execute the Roll, on my back swing the cue is touching the palm of my hand, on the finish of the stroke the cue ends up touching the pad at the base of my thumb and the wrist is out away from my body. (the Roll)
To execute the Tuck, on the back swing the cue is touching the pad at the base of my thumb, on ther finish of the stroke the cue ends up touching the palm of my hand and my wrist is bent in toward my body (the Tuck)

Long story short, to execute a Roll finish, on the backswing the grip is in the Tuck position (or the wrist can hanging straight down).
To execute a Tuck finish, on the backswing the grip hand is in the Roll position.

For me this has helped to create a very smooth transition (stroke) and feel from start to finish.

I have a series of shots I perform every morning to get all of my stuff calibrated. The Tuck and Roll has been incorporated into my morning practice.

John

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Good Morning Dave

In red.

I had been working with this since you posted the above. Couldn't get a hold of what you were saying.
I woke up this morning thinking about it then it dawned on me.

To execute the Roll, on my back swing the cue is touching the palm of my hand, on the finish of the stroke the cue ends up touching the pad at the base of my thumb and the wrist is out away from my body. (the Roll)
To execute the Tuck, on the back swing the cue is touching the pad at the base of my thumb, on ther finish of the stroke the cue ends up touching the palm of my hand and my wrist is bent in toward my body (the Tuck)

Long story short, to execute a Roll finish, on the backswing the grip is in the Tuck position (or the wrist can hanging straight down).
To execute a Tuck finish, on the backswing the grip hand is in the Roll position.

For me this has helped to create a very smooth transition (stroke) and feel from start to finish.

I have a series of shots I perform every morning to get all of my stuff calibrated. The Tuck and Roll has been incorporated into my morning practice.

John

Good stuff, glad it's now part of your game and arsenal. It certainly is with many pros, road players, and very good amateurs. You just have to be observant and know what to look for. When you see it and they want to play for money, run in the other direction. ;) :D

Not one word or mention of Tuck and Roll is on the Billiard University site. Watch, it will show up all of a sudden. I'm not sure it'll be praised or suggested that one should practice and use it since the scientists like all straight lines and movements.

But I have never seen a science/physics geek ever come close to making it to the pro ranks or big money player. If so, who?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I import high quality clips into the app from my phone, then in the app apply slow motion. It's pretty accurate visually, but the timer isn't micro enough to measure perfectly. Still can get a decent idea of break speed. Too bad the qmd isn't too helpful.

** UPDATE ** The timer in the Coach's Eye app is only accurate to the nearest 0.01 second, but the actual video time display that appears in the app as you're physically scrolling through the video frames is to the nearest 0.001 second. I recorded a break shot at 120 frames/sec, then imported the clip into coach's eye and was able to determine an average CB speed from initial acceleration to impact with the rack. From a distance of 4 feet (measured from the surface of the CB to the surface of the front ball in the rack), it took the CB 0.148 seconds from start to finish. I gave an example yesterday where I used hypothetical numbers and rushed through the simple calculations, incorrectly I should add, because I multiplied instead of divided to convert fps to mph. Anyway, the real numbers from today's break shot example are: 4ft ÷ 0.148s = 27 fps, then dividing by 1.467 gets me 18.4 mph. Of course, stroke speed would be faster than this and CB speed at rack impact would be slower than this, as 18.4 is the average speed the CB traveled from tip to rack.

Excellent use of the app! In thinking about this, let me ask a question. If the original recording is 120 frames/sec then each frame is .008 seconds long. When you import and scroll in the app you are scrolling at .001 seconds resolution. Does the image stay frozen for about .008 seconds before the next frame comes up?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Be real.

That doesn't even happen for pro pool players.

I'll bet it did (does) for Jeannette Lee and Jennifer Barretta. Especially from men who want to get close. I know it does because I saw Jeannette Lee doing an exhibition where she was challenging and taking on people from the audience. Afterwards she had an autograph signing session and the line was around the room.
All men and 3 women.

I had to look him up because I never heard of the guy but Jonni Fulcher is primarily a snooker player. (I think) Maybe it's different overseas and he does get autograph requests. Earl would probably get a good number but most would be scared off depending on his mood.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Excellent use of the app! In thinking about this, let me ask a question. If the original recording is 120 frames/sec then each frame is .008 seconds long. When you import and scroll in the app you are scrolling at .001 seconds resolution. Does the image stay frozen for about .008 seconds before the next frame comes up?

Yes it remains frozen, so it's not the most accurate analysis, but it'll give you a ballpark figure. You can get a decent estimate of when the blurry freeze begins or ends, and use that point on both ends of the analysis.

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll bet it did (does) for Jeannette Lee and Jennifer Barretta. Especially from men who want to get close. I know it does because I saw Jeannette Lee doing an exhibition where she was challenging and taking on people from the audience. Afterwards she had an autograph signing session and the line was around the room.
All men and 3 women.

I had to look him up because I never heard of the guy but Jonni Fulcher is primarily a snooker player. (I think) Maybe it's different overseas and he does get autograph requests. Earl would probably get a good number but most would be scared off depending on his mood.

Spider, you do realize how technical Earl is about the game, correct?

You don't have to be a geek scientist to be scientific about the aproach.

Earl said if he could, he would sand his shaft after every shot if it wasn't time consuming. Not out of being neurotic, but because of friction consistency due to particulate build up at the onset of chalking and stroking etc etc.

He's right, even if it means a minute degree because build up starts somewhere and it's virtually instantaneous when considering atmospheric elements.

Necessary? Well, that's for others to decide.

Technical? Yes.

Technical = Scientific

Scientific = Geek

Geek = Earl Strikland

Earl Strikland = Scientific

"Pro" = NON SEQUITUR

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Earl Strikland = Scientific

Well, that explains all the safety gear. Lol.....when he's at the table he's in a constant state of scientific presentation, and one can't be too careful when it comes to that.

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, that explains all the safety gear. Lol.....when he's at the table he's in a constant state of scientific presentation, and one can't be too careful when it comes to that.

Don't forget having the table mechanics at a particular event where he had the rails slightly elevated, a touch of silicone on the edges and a hard face on the side rail side of the pockets so everyone in the world doesn't shyte balls in and beat him due to "luck".

Something like that.

If I recall correctly, he played O'sullivan a set of 8 ball and frequently called out the barometric changes as the match progressed, thus an explanation for missing.

Earl the Pearl ladies and gentlemen and the not so gentlemensssss

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

Earl is a Science Geek alright.

Ankle weights

Arm weights

Finger extensions

Earmuffs

Shooting Glasses

Tendinitis wrap

And his 8 ft Javelin

What's next? MLB catcher shin guards...chest protector...mask...batting helmet or football helmet...track shoes...he definitely needs a "cup" like boxers wear...

Yep, Earl is scientific, so says the brother of Professor Irwin Corey. But he's an OCD "WHACK JOB" even more. After all is said and done, ya gotta love EARL! He's a ONE OF A KIND CHARACTER!

Last edited:

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl is a Science Geek alright.

Ankle weights

Arm weights

Finger extensions

Earmuffs

Shooting Glasses

Tendinitis wrap

And his 8 ft Javelin

What's next? MLB catcher shin guards...chest protector...mask...batting helmet or football helmet...track shoes...he definitely needs a "cup" like boxers wear...

Yep, Earl is scientific, so says the brother of Professor Irwin Corey. But he's OCD even more.

Don't make me break out my protractor on you sir. I only have one, from a outfit in Sweden who speacializes in cotton swabs with optional linear or vertical wood grain shafts. Must be specified when ordering. Very specific.

It's attached to my cue shaft for.....ehhhh hard to explain.

You know me and explaining and all.

Shoot'em now shoot him now!......shut up Ligh'jh

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice ninja editing there spider spider just in case Earl is onlooking lol. That'l win him over:)

Ok off to the geometric gulag......where I find peace, sort of.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good stuff, glad it's now part of your game and arsenal. It certainly is with many pros, road players, and very good amateurs. You just have to be observant and know what to look for. When you see it and they want to play for money, run in the other direction. ;) :D

Not one word or mention of Tuck and Roll is on the Billiard University site. Watch, it will show up all of a sudden. I'm not sure it'll be praised or suggested that one should practice and use it since the scientists like all straight lines and movements.

But I have never seen a science/physics geek ever come close to making it to the pro ranks or big money player. If so, who?

In Bold above

Since you mentioned this I went back to UT and watched a lot of pro's play with my attention on their wrist action. Sure enough a good number of them use the Tuck and Roll.

It appears that the Filipino players use the same action but use their elbow position instead of their wrist or it could be a combination of both.

I never really knew what to look for until I became familiar with the action.

Having fun building a new habit. :)

John