Rules question

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Scenario: I scratch cue ball in pocket without making a ball.

Incoming player has ball in hand behind head string and the only 2 balls left on the table are both also behind the head string. What are his options?

Thanks

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scenario: I scratch cue ball in pocket without making a ball.

Incoming player has ball in hand behind head string and the only 2 balls left on the table are both also behind the head string. What are his options?

Thanks
He can have the one nearest to the head string spotted. If they are equally distant, he can choose which to spot. See the WPA rule at:

http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play#1.5

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
For a ball in general to be playable is it the base of the ball or edge of the ball that has to be beyond the head string line?

Thanks

Kevin

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For a ball in general to be playable is it the base of the ball or edge of the ball that has to be beyond the head string line?

Thanks

Kevin
In the standard rules, it is always the base of the ball. If a ball is exactly on the line it is considered playable with ball in hand. The most common scenario where this might occur is when the ball has been spotted on the head spot.

In some one pocket events it is the edge of the ball that determines in/out. The usual rule then is that the object ball must be entirely below the head string. If that rule is used, it seems like the cue ball must be placed entirely above the head string when in hand.

billiard dave 7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me base of the ball means just that. You have to see the line to be able to shoot. As a second note, owners - Please draw pencil lines from foot spot to rail and lines around racks. Head line strings, score beads. Get rid of head string spot. Just mark small cross when marking table. Clean the tables, balls .Hand's down the best practice game for all pocket games.