Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Aiming Conversation
Reload this Page Please Explain Your "Aiming System"?
Page 10 of 10 « First 8910

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
I sometimes just wonder...it's quite a question.
Old
  (#136)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Question I sometimes just wonder...it's quite a question. - 09-17-2017, 03:45 PM

I guess when it's all said and done, each pool player takes what he/she likes or feels is good for their game and then incorporates into their playing. And if it doesn't work out, they discard it.
Pick up a little from this guy, that guy, watching this person, or learning from that player until they get a consistent game that will stand up under pressure. And then all that's really left to rely on is talent and desire and a strong work ethic.
I wonder if there really exists anything that is the "absolute best" when it comes to shooting pool. There are so many varying opinions about this and that. And often those opinions degenerate into personal attacks which, in real life at the pool room, probably wouldn't even be worth the mental energy.

Old
  (#137)
SpiderWebComm
HelpImBeingOppressed
SpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

09-18-2017, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
I wonder if there really exists anything that is the "absolute best" when it comes to shooting pool. There are so many varying opinions about this and that. And often those opinions degenerate into personal attacks which, in real life at the pool room, probably wouldn't even be worth the mental energy.
In real life at the pool room it wouldn't be worth the mental energy but it would be worth the physical energy to prove who's right.

Get on the table and play for some real cash. He who loses the most Franklins better learn to STFU!

Viffer: The Movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JFIy2ebJIE

Old
  (#138)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

09-18-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderWebComm View Post
In real life at the pool room it wouldn't be worth the mental energy but it would be worth the physical energy to prove who's right.
Get on the table and play for some real cash. He who loses the most Franklins better learn to STFU!
No doubt about that, for sure.
Keep on truckin'

Old
  (#139)
denwhit
AzB Silver Member
denwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond repute

09-18-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
I guess when it's all said and done, each pool player takes what he/she likes or feels is good for their game and then incorporates into their playing. And if it doesn't work out, they discard it.
Pick up a little from this guy, that guy, watching this person, or learning from that player until they get a consistent game that will stand up under pressure. And then all that's really left to rely on is talent and desire and a strong work ethic.
I think the difference is people that want to be better and take lessons from the professionals. look at the professional golfers, 97% of them have professional instructors on their team and they go to them quite often. Rickey Fowler, as good as he was, he went to Butch Harmon and look at him now, possibly a possible for the Fed-ex. That is the way I love a sport, whether it be golf, tennis or pool, I always strive to learn by taking often lessons and being the best I can be. Most pool players just play the way they are and so be it. I'll pay money to play with the best teacher and try to learn what he has learned over his 50 years. Maybe a money thing? Are pool players broke and golfers have money for lessons, just asking here?

*Pool is not my only fun thing. I love passing those gas stations in the Tesla.
*US Navy 1964-1970, USS Chicago CG-11
* Mark Gregory walnut rails
*RKC set up w/ 42 pt. leveling system
*ProjectorProBilliards MicroComputer

Last edited by denwhit; 09-18-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Old
  (#140)
Low500
AzB Silver Member

09-18-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denwhit View Post
I think the difference is people that want to be better and take lessons from the professionals. look at the professional golfers, 97% of them have professional instructors on their team and they go to them quite often. That is the way I love a sport, whether it be golf, tennis or pool, I always strive to learn and learn. Most pool players just play the way they are and so be it. Maybe a money thing, but not sure about that?
I've been fortunate enough to watch in person some of the greatest.
Some advocated aiming at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full ball (Mosconi)....Lassiter had a line on his ferrule that he used to refine his aim at the contact point and then slightly rotated the cue to "dial in" some English...You have your teacher who apparently can shoot 'lights out', and I have no sensible reason to think you're just making it up.....I adapted very quickly to CTE using the manual pivots and have ZERO desire to tinker around with it by doing a "Pro 1" thing....Shane and his edge of ferrule method apparently works fantastic...on and on it can go.
As for the money winning...............all I ever personally desired was that if some people won some money betting on pool games on a particular day, I just wanted to be one of them.
Capturing good information from great players and working to put it into one's own game is the deal.
I used to tell my son when he started in the music business that he was entering a world where nobody was going to pamper him. It's a world of difference between playing your instrument and singing at a family picnic for free and then performing for strangers who've paid good money. At that time, you give up all protection from being ripped to shreds and criticized. Some musicians (usually those working on a tip jar) never learn that lesson...some pool players, pool shooting writers, and pool instructors never learn that either.
*Notice my emphasis on the 'work' part*.
Keep on truckin'

Last edited by Low500; 09-18-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Old
  (#141)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denwhit View Post
I think the difference is people that want to be better and take lessons from the professionals. look at the professional golfers, 97% of them have professional instructors on their team and they go to them quite often. Rickey Fowler, as good as he was, he went to Butch Harmon and look at him now, possibly a possible for the Fed-ex. That is the way I love a sport, whether it be golf, tennis or pool, I always strive to learn by taking often lessons and being the best I can be. Most pool players just play the way they are and so be it. I'll pay money to play with the best teacher and try to learn what he has learned over his 50 years. Maybe a money thing? Are pool players broke and golfers have money for lessons, just asking here?
So what do you do besides lessons? League, tournaments, gambling?

Old
  (#142)
denwhit
AzB Silver Member
denwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie man View Post
So what do you do besides lessons? League, tournaments, gambling?
About three of the area's A players come over and we play 9 ball. I've got the best table around so they love to play on it. ha Tournaments are not so good for me as I can concentrate well for about 3 hours. Too old to do the all day, all night. Plus, at night, I'd rather be home with my wife.

*Pool is not my only fun thing. I love passing those gas stations in the Tesla.
*US Navy 1964-1970, USS Chicago CG-11
* Mark Gregory walnut rails
*RKC set up w/ 42 pt. leveling system
*ProjectorProBilliards MicroComputer

Page 10 of 10 « First 8910

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: