One reason pool is suffering

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a guy who frequents a pool room out in the country owned and operated by an older (fifties) fellow who runs a pretty tight-laced pool room. He told me this:

1.There is absolutely no profanity allowed or your out on your ear and never to return.If you're heard expressing distaste for a poorly made shot, such as the word "damn!", you're told to stop that talk. If it happens a second time, it's bye bye.

2.There's one bridge/cheater for 6 tables. Don't like it? Tough! There were 5 bridges, but the owner put them all in hiding but one because the old men were laying the bridges on the pool tables instead of leaning them against the wall. Bridges are built for being rested on pool tables, aren't they?

3. The owner intentionally refuses to maintain the house cues in an attempt to sell more two-piece cues from the showcase. The house cues are bent and in bad need of tips.

He told me there's hardly anyone ever in there. Gee, I wonder why.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a guy who frequents a pool room out in the country owned and operated by an older (fifties) fellow who runs a pretty tight-laced pool room. He told me this:

1.There is absolutely no profanity allowed or your out on your ear and never to return.If you're heard expressing distaste for a poorly made shot, such as the word "damn!", you're told to stop that talk. If it happens a second time, it's bye bye.

2.There's one bridge/cheater for 6 tables. Don't like it? Tough! There were 5 bridges, but the owner put them all in hiding but one because the old men were laying the bridges on the pool tables instead of leaning them against the wall. Bridges are built for being rested on pool tables, aren't they?

3. The owner intentionally refuses to maintain the house cues in an attempt to sell more two-piece cues from the showcase. The house cues are bent and in bad need of tips.

Unless there is something about the room that is an irresistible draw (doesn't sound it) he is a dead duck and will soon own a very big private man cave. I get the whole, "This is Ames, Mister" thing he's trying to pull off but he is 50 years too late for that to work.

Lou Figueroa

Madnecity

Registered
Sad. Why don't you tell him? Doesn't sound like too bad a place to be banned from.

Sounds like if you open a bar with 4 good tables in the neighbourhood, the comparison bias will shovel cash into your pockets.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yup, THIS is why pool is suffering. Too many straight-laced poolrooms. :rotflmao1:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
It isn't THE reason, it's one of many, many reasons. Care to share any you may know?

Then why is it dying in places that don't have these rules. Folks have other options, and there are so many. Lets not pretend it's because of one small random pool hall that is run by an owner with a bug up his arse cause folks won't put the bridge back? lol

It's a niche sport that only pool fans enjoy. So, lets just enjoy it. I don't care that my wife and son don't like it. Though my son did take a pool cue with him to college last month so he doesn't have to use a house cue at the schools pool room, so there is hope after all. In 4 years he may like pool a little more :)

Last edited:

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets not pretend it's because of one small random pool hall that is run by an owner with a bug up his arse cause folks won't put the bridge back?

I'm not pretending anything. I'm simply stating that this is ONE reason. (The title of this thread is "One Reason Pool is Suffering"). There are people who become discouraged at trying to have a little fun at a pool hall and run into this kind of foolishness. After a prolonged battering of these kinds of ridiculous controls, they simply tire of it and stop frequenting the only pool place they have to visit in the whole country town.:smile:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I'm not pretending anything. I'm simply stating that this is ONE reason. (The title of this thread is "One Reason Pool is Suffering"). There are people who become discouraged at trying to have a little fun at a pool hall and run into this kind of foolishness. After a prolonged battering of these kinds of ridiculous controls, they simply tire of it and stop frequenting the only pool place they have to visit in the whole country town.:smile:

And I'm just saying it's nonsense. You don't quit the game you love because of an ornery old cuss. If that was the case I would have quit baseball 40 years ago, and so on and so on and so on. One old ornery guy with a bride fetish is the least of pool's problems... it really is.

I can't stand APA, I don't like the rules, and a few other things... and don't even like the tourneys all that much yet I get roped into playing now and again ;) It's still pool, so I can overlook my personal bias against their areas that are so sorely "lacking". Yet, without their areas that many folks complain about, its the biggest league in America and growing. And there are folks in the APA makes your old ornery cuss look like a sweet heart ;)

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Some people can run a donut shop into a cup of coffee...
...some can run a pool hall into a cue ball.
I've had two friends who destroyed their pool hall business doing what you posted.
I told them to just get someone else to manage it and stay in the office doing book work.
...tried to tell them that customers aren't subjects that you can rule.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It isn't THE reason, it's one of many, many reasons. Care to share any you may know?

Sure. Pool has been dominated by hustlers, con men, and hucksters for almost its entire history. Straight-laced poolrooms are reason number 576 of the top 100 reasons why pool sucks.

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people can run a donut shop into a cup of coffee...
...some can run a pool hall into a cue ball.
I've had two friends who destroyed their pool hall business doing what you posted.
I told them to just get someone else to manage it and stay in the office doing book work.
...tried to tell them that customers aren't subjects that you can rule.

Another friend of mine actually suggested that this owner get a manager to run the pool hall and the owner is actually considering that. I hope it happens for the sake of the pool players who frequent the establishment.:smile:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Sure. Pool has been dominated by hustlers, con men, and hucksters for almost its entire history. Straight-laced poolrooms are reason number 576 of the top 100 reasons why pool sucks.

Yep....just like poker.....oh, wait..:confused:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Yep....just like poker.....oh, wait..:confused:

What's interesting about pool, it parallels life in all ways. All the good and bad that happens in a pool room, happens in real life everyday in the corporate world....but, in the real/business world....the pencil pushers are able to hide it much better and in turn not become complicit in its outcome if it turns bad, when in reality they created the problem.