As a training tool, what to look for in high run videos

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One advise I always see on this board is that it is a good investment to watch high run videos. But what exactly about them should we be looking out for besides stuff that we read in books such as clearing clusters?

Only reason I ask is because I realized in the last few months I have been watching a ton of 14.1 videos and the only ones that I come away with information are the ones with some form of good commentating about the situations at hand.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
One place to start is to play along, so try to predict patterns and shot selection. When you are wrong, try to understand their thought process. Maybe a harder shot or positional route simplified the rest of the rack, or waiting to go into the pack at a later time from a different position had a higher percentage of success.

I also like to identify positions I've struggled with in the past and see how professional approaches it. It's especially a good way to study safety play.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
One advise I always see on this board is that it is a good investment to watch high run videos. But what exactly about them should we be looking out for besides stuff that we read in books such as clearing clusters?

Only reason I ask is because I realized in the last few months I have been watching a ton of 14.1 videos and the only ones that I come away with information are the ones with some form of good commentating about the situations at hand.

1) Watch how the great players control the cue ball on their break shots.

Knowing how the balls come out of the stack and where the cue ball is going to land for that first shot after the break - that can make all the difference in the world between a 14 ball run, and a anything more than that. Aimlessly crashing the cue ball into the rack like sending a cannonball into pyramid of beer cans ... that won't get you very far in 14.1. Players to watch in this area of the game are Niels Feijen - Corey Deuel - John Schmidt - Alex Lely - and Danny Harriman. What separates these champions from everybody else - is that they do nothing recklessly - and they do nothing without a purpose. So learn what the cue ball does after it contacts the rack - and watch how the balls separate from the stack.

2) Watch how, when, where, and why the great players use the secondary break shot to separate the balls.

Going into the balls at the wrong time with the wrong shot can mean the difference between success and failure in straight pool. This starts with choosing the correct secondary break shot to go into the balls effectively and efficiently. Using a ball that is 2 feet away from the problem cluster will usually lack the accuracy needed to take care of the problem. Study some of John Schmidt's high run videos and watch how he studies the table before and after each shot. Niels Feijen - same thing. The best players are usually the players that are studying and learning from what is in front of them. Go out of your way to become one of those players.

3) Watch how the great players take the balls off the table.

Watch how they clear the lanes for other balls to pass into the pockets - watch how they get the problem balls off the rails - watch how they deal with clusters and problem balls. Watch how they transform clusters and problems balls into break balls and key balls(they don't just smash the balls all over the table).

4) Learning patterns is essential, but learning how to take advantage of your strengths and your unique playing style - then shaping your patterns around those strengths - that is VITAL in your quest to master the game of straight pool.

What I mean by this is simple ... yet complicated. Each of us has different strengths and different weaknessses. We are all individuals - and what works for some players might not necessarily be a good idea for other players. If longer shots are your weakness, it would be wise to play patterns that get your cue ball closer to the object ball. If high angle break shots are too risky for you - work with a break ball that is closer to the stack so that you can keep the cue ball in the center of the table for a higher percentage shot. Knowing what works for you and what does not work for you is the first step in managing your game and managing the table.

This is not an all-inclusive list. There are many more factors and much more to learn - most of which you will only learn AT the table by trying to run balls. However- this is my short list of the things that I look for when I watch the greatest players in the world.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
One place to start is to play along, so try to predict patterns and shot selection. When you are wrong, try to understand their thought process. Maybe a harder shot or positional route simplified the rest of the rack, or waiting to go into the pack at a later time from a different position had a higher percentage of success.

I also like to identify positions I've struggled with in the past and see how professional approaches it. It's especially a good way to study safety play.

Not a bad idea to pause on DVD or VCR when viewing top 14.1 player and half the rack is left. Try and figure the order to finish, good idea to go with the first end game pattern you see. Then compare to how the top player completes the frame. Many phoney bologni players trying to teach, better to go with a top player. The commentary in my 351 is OK for insight into how to run twenty-five racks.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you seen Jim Rempe's instructional videos? They would give you an idea of what to look for. I'd also suggest the book/DVD combination Break Shot Patterns by Phil Capelle for the crucial last group of balls setting up the key ball and break shot.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not a bad idea to pause on DVD or VCR when viewing top 14.1 player and half the rack is left. Try and figure the order to finish, good idea to go with the first end game pattern you see. Then compare to how the top player completes the frame. Many phoney bologni players trying to teach, better to go with a top player. The commentary in my 351 is OK for insight into how to run twenty-five racks.

I am finding the commentary in your DVD to better than "OK". I think it's great, very insightful. Thanks!

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you seen Jim Rempe's instructional videos? They would give you an idea of what to look for. I'd also suggest the book/DVD combination Break Shot Patterns by Phil Capelle for the crucial last group of balls setting up the key ball and break shot.

Rempe's really helped my game, especially patience in going after clusters. I still make lots of stupid mistakes, like trying to do too much and going after clusters at the wrong time, but I keep watching Rempe's video and I keep learning from it.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Rempe's really helped my game, especially patience in going after clusters. I still make lots of stupid mistakes, like trying to do too much and going after clusters at the wrong time, but I keep watching Rempe's video and I keep learning from it.

Yes King James is one of my hero's, I recommend any instruction from Jim Rempe. I think I picked up a move from him when I wipe chalk of tip with bridge hand. Both him and Buddy did this and I think I saw them and emulated the move. Thanks for compliment bc21, I am glad you liked the words I had to offer. Maybe OK is an understatement, it was decent commentary. Thank you all for the purchase.