TDF--Table Difficulty, RED LABEL DIAMOND!!TOO TOUGH, CRAPOLA!!

acedonkeyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW, At sidePocket in Largo, Florida we just had our 1-pocket and GAMBLE table reset, Here it is and the Specs--

In my opinion, this is just to tough with the shelfs this deep, anything not center pocket will not go in, I understand tough but normally, I can a game of 8-ball on a regular Diamond 9' Pro-Am, like 20-25% of the time.

On this Pro Table, I couldn't run more than 4 balls and if you had to power up on shots to get six to 9 foot of cueball travel, I would make like 2 balls in a row.

Just too tough for me, What do you Folks Think!!????

Table Size--9' Red Label Diamond
Mouth Pocket Size--4.0"
Inside Pocket Size--3.5"
Shelf Depth--2.0

According to the TDF rating it comes in @ 1.22

Good table for 1-pocket but other than that with shots that are hit with speed, Its like a Pool Table with a Stomach Virus--THROWS UP EVERY BALL SHOT AT THE POCKET!!

WHAT DO YOU THINK??

:thumbup:

Respectfully

Mike 'acedonkeyace' Kennedy

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW, At sidePocket in Largo, Florida we just had our 1-pocket and GAMBLE table reset, Here it is and the Specs--

In my opinion, this is just to tough with the shelfs this deep, anything not center pocket will not go in, I understand tough but normally, I can a game of 8-ball on a regular Diamond 9' Pro-Am, like 20-25% of the time.

On this Pro Table, I couldn't run more than 4 balls and if you had to power up on shots to get six to 9 foot of cueball travel, I would make like 2 balls in a row.

Mouth Pocket Size--4.0"
Inside Pocket Size--3.5"
Shelf Depth--2.0

Good table for 1-pocket but other than that with shots that are hit with speed, Its like a Pool Table with a Stomach Virus--THROWS UP EVERY BALL SHOT AT THE POCKET!!

WHAT DO YOU THINK??

Respectfully

And, I thought mine was tough. My measurements are 5, 4 1/4 and 1 1/2. Your table is certainly too tough for me.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I've played lots on small pockets...pool and snooker....I don't like it...but I will play.....
....but NEVER for pleasure.

But IMO, deep shelves are ridiculous

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
You are describing a table that is good for nothing, including onepocket, imo. I would avoid it.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Well, I'll recount what Mike Sigel told me a few years ago.. Pockets that tough basically ruin the game, because you can't cheat the pocket any for position play. And, cheating the pocket to a degree is an important part of position strategy. I would think this table falls in that category.

All the best,
WW

acedonkeyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree so far with the feedback,

You get people wanting to BRAG about how tough and tight the table is and lets gamble and blah blah blah,

They setup this table to be ultra tough and were going to charge a premium because of the upgrades on materials and specs and such, but you ended up a MAJOR Spec'd table but not PLAYABLE---

That's the key word--PLAYABLE

So, I think that a table that has 4 3/8 inch pockets, like 1 inch shelf, nice facing angles.

860HR Cloth, Cyclops or Duramith Balls and the Measle ProCup cueball for practicing and for regular games and gambling the red dot cueball from aramith. Sngle Red Dot with the open circle middle, not the SOLID redot cueball.

Simonois A1--For cleaning and a every 40 hours of play time damp wipe down and a1 for static removal of chalk dust.

EVERYDAY---30 minutes of BULLSEYE BILLIARDS---4 to 10 shots.

THEN--3 to 10 ball rotation setups for 30 Minutes

TIME TO PLAY AND GAMBLE AND HAVE FUN!!!!!! The before is WORKING ON YOUR GAME---Then its time to put the workouts into application!!
BallStar Cleaner with Brillianize Acrylic Cleaner used once every 10 hours of play time.

That's about it for a GREAT POOL PLAYING ENVIRONMENT!!!

What do you think about my setup??

Table could be--Diamond 9' ProAm

Or Brunswick Centennial I--With all the new STUFF ADDED by the REALKING COBRA!!!

WHAT YOU THINK!!!???:thumbup:

Last edited:

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mouth Pocket Size--4.0"
Inside Pocket Size--3.5"
Shelf Depth--2.0

WHAT DO YOU THINK??

Respectfully

Absurd.....

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I'm sorry but deep shelf pockets is the STUPIDEST invention ever in the history of pocket billiards!

Last edited:

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You get people wanting to BRAG about how tough and tight the table is and lets gamble and blah blah blah,

They setup this table to be ultra tough and were going to charge a premium because of the upgrades on materials and specs and such, but you ended up a MAJOR Spec'd table but not PLAYABLE---

That's the key word--PLAYABLE

So, I think that a table that has 4 3/8 inch pockets, like 1 inch shelf, nice facing angles.

860HR Cloth, Cyclops or Duramith Balls and the Measle ProCup cueball for practicing and for regular games and gambling the red dot cueball from aramith. Sngle Red Dot with the open circle middle, not the SOLID redot cueball.

Simonois A1--For cleaning and a every 40 hours of play time damp wipe down and a1 for static removal of chalk dust.

EVERYDAY---30 minutes of BULLSEYE BILLIARDS---4 to 10 shots.

THEN--3 to 10 ball rotation setups for 30 Minutes

TIME TO PLAY AND GAMBLE AND HAVE FUN!!!!!! The before is WORKING ON YOUR GAME---Then its time to put the workouts into application!!
BallStar Cleaner with Brillianize Acrylic Cleaner used once every 10 hours of play time.

That's about it for a GREAT POOL PLAYING ENVIRONMENT!!!

What do you think about my setup??

Table could be--Diamond 9' ProAm

Or Brunswick Centennial I--With all the new STUFF ADDED by the REALKING COBRA!!!

WHAT YOU THINK!!!???:thumbup:

So, when does your new room open?

Keith

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. The whole tight pocket deep shelf thing is out of hand and does nothing for pool. It make the game, any game, harder for beginners and makes games take longer for anybody. Better players are better players on any equipment.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Owned a brand new Red Label with pro cut pockets back in the 90's. Lousey cushions and a real torture track; I think my best run in ten years of trying (and crying) was only 50. Sold it and now enjoy playing on my GC I. Really regret including the full size Diamond light with the sale which I threw in for nothing. Live and learn....

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
hmmmmmm

Who did the work? Wes Burden? If the subrails were not extended properly and just "shimmed", the pockets will not play right. 4.5" corners and 5"
sides are my standard. I hate the deep pocket shelf Diamonds have, but, they are the standard so no use in complaining about it :)

I grew up on Indian Rocks Beach, visit my family down there a lot and will have to check this table out!

Trent from Toledo

Mouth Pocket Size--4.0"
Inside Pocket Size--3.5"
Shelf Depth--2.0

WHAT DO YOU THINK??

Respectfully

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mouth Pocket Size--4.0"
Inside Pocket Size--3.5"
Shelf Depth--2.0

WHAT DO YOU THINK??

Respectfully

A table like this is pretty silly and turns in the game into something other than pool.

In my travels I have come across a couple of tables set up like this. One that comes to mind was the 1pocket table off to the left of the counter at the late, great Comet Billiards in NJ. It was absurd. And yet all the local guys thought that was the way a table setup for 1pocket should be. I even had one guy tell me that, "You shouldn't be able to run 8 and out at 1pocket."

For pool, you need to be able to work the ball a little. And that means there needs to be some margin or error, which means pockets at around 4 1/2".

Lou Figueroa

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
That would take too many shots away for it to be a good table for me. Too tough.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Mouth Pocket Size--4.0"
Inside Pocket Size--3.5"
Shelf Depth--2.0

WHAT DO YOU THINK??

Respectfully

When shrinking the corner pockets, the shelf depth recedes, meaning it gets more shallow. So since Diamonx has never produced a 9ft slate with that deepof a pocket radius, how is it that it's 2" deep?

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Who did the work? Wes Burden? If the subrails were not extended properly and just "shimmed", the pockets will not play right. 4.5"sides and 5"
corners are my standard. I hate the deep pocket shelf Diamonds have, but, they are the standard so no use in complaining about it :)

I grew up on Indian Rocks Beach, visit my family down there a lot and will have to check this table out!

Trent from Toledo

I'm guessing that you meant 4.5" corners and 5" sides. :wink:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Mouth Pocket Size--4.0"
Inside Pocket Size--3.5"
Shelf Depth--2.0

WHAT DO YOU THINK??

Respectfully

Wow! That is a tough table (almost as tough as the money table at Hard Times in Bellflower, CA). FYI, I've added it to the table-difficulty-factor (TDF) thread.

Thank you for posting the info,
Dave

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Mouth Pocket Size--4.0"
Inside Pocket Size--3.5"
Shelf Depth--2.0

WHAT DO YOU THINK??

Respectfully

Can you post any pictures of the corner pockets with the shelf depth showing?

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Mouth Pocket Size--4.0"
Inside Pocket Size--3.5"
Shelf Depth--2.0

WHAT DO YOU THINK??

Respectfully

With a corner pocket opening of 4", unless the slate shelf was purposely extended, it's impossible to have a 2" shelf depth. A 4 1/2" pocket opening will only allow enough slate shelf to set 60% of the ball inside the jaws of the pocket, and as the pocket opening is reduced, the slate shelf starts to disappear as it starts to funnel the balls througj the front of the pocket shelf, which is the most shallow part of the shelf. Reduce the pockets to 4" and there's almost no where for a ball to sit, let alone a 2" shelf depth.

This is a GC1 i rebuilt with 4" corner pockets, it also has a Diamond deep shelf 3 piece slate installed, how much of the ball is in, and out of the pocket showing....50%?

Your claim of a 2" slate shelf depth in a 4" corner pocket can't be correct, unless the slate slelf has been extended, otherwise in the picture i posted you'd only be able to seen the outside edge of the ball, about an 1/8" inch of the side.of tbe ball, not like the 1 1/8" showing in the picture i posted.

Attachments

• received_1229320567123266_1024x1024.jpeg
    received_1229320567123266_1024x1024.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 212
Last edited: