Favorite South West Wood Combinations???

Dakota Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a quick question for the South West lovers out there.

What is your favorite combination of woods used in a South West? Please include pics if possible!

Here are my 2 favorites:

Ebony on Ebony, and
020a.jpg

Ebony with Pau Ferro...
P1000940.jpg

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have read before that Jerry's favorite wood for playability is Pau Ferro,so i bet it plays pretty solid.i have heard Jeff Olney say the same thing.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Not that I am partial to my Southwest cue design, but it has a macasser ebony forearm, with 6-coco bola points, green/yellow veneers, the same wood combination in the butt sleeve, and rings that match the veneers.
I also think the cue plays exceptionally well. I have recently seen some Southwest's that have very bright colored veneers with ebony forearms, I like that look also

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually Jerry really like Gongalo Alves wood (sp?). Many SW lovers swear by that wood.

For playability: Purpleheart, ebony, and Alves forearms.

I like the look of ebony with nice contrasting wood. I personally think that rosewood and tulipwood with the right combinations is terrific.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
9-pointer

Salamander said:
Actually Jerry really like Gongalo Alves wood (sp?). Many SW lovers swear by that wood.

For playability: Purpleheart, ebony, and Alves forearms.

I like the look of ebony with nice contrasting wood. I personally think that rosewood and tulipwood with the right combinations is terrific.

you haven't posted pics of your old 9-point Southwest yet either, just the new ones. I really like the old one with all of the shafts

MATTY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, the SW cues that I used to own:rolleyes: .....while I still keep the PH one as my play cue....:D

P1020042.jpg

P1010684.jpg

P1020014.jpg

P1020172.jpg

P1000932.jpg

P1000834-1.jpg

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My franklin

Ebony with maple points with green veneer.

Attachments

• collection5.Jpg
    collection5.Jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 6,159
  • collection4.Jpg
    collection4.Jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 6,037

Dakota Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW!!! THAT'S What I'm talking about!!!

MATTY said:
Still another.....:)

P1000738.jpg

Matty, You are the man!

What is the brown wood in the Bottom (left) Gaboon cue? Is it Macassar or Pau Ferro???

Thanks.

P.S. Special thanks for posting the most gorgeous 9 point I've seen. Do you have a shot of the back end, too???

Dakota Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Salamander said:

+1

That's what Laurie told me when my order came up about a month ago. She also said that Mickey's playing cue was Alves, too.

ShaneS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top cue.

Ebony points; BEM forearm; green, white, green veneers.

Wish I still owned this cue.:(

-S

310044567_1f0a45c28e_b.jpg

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not sure about what Laurie said but i was told a long time ago by a good freind of Jerry's that he like Pau Ferro,and have herad it here 2-3 times as well.

MATTY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dakota Cues said:
Matty, You are the man!

What is the brown wood in the Bottom (left) Gaboon cue? Is it Macassar or Pau Ferro???

Thanks.

P.S. Special thanks for posting the most gorgeous 9 point I've seen. Do you have a shot of the back end, too???

I guess thats Alves points, and as your wish, but I am giving you more :D

P1000191.jpg

P1000201.jpg

P1000196.jpg

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
My personal fav is probably ebony nose with BEM points and red/white/black veneers. You could also sub in green for red. I like these the best, equally. The reverse of this is sweet, too. Also like the ebony on ebony ones, but a highly figured maple really pops more with the ebony, at least to me. :)

Here's an example of one below but with Macassar (striped) ebony.

Attachments

• sw-sean-18-fh.jpg
    sw-sean-18-fh.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 2,727
  • sw-sean-18-bh.jpg
    sw-sean-18-bh.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 2,538
Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not seen many that I really don't like the point / forearm combination, but I really think the veneer combinations make or break the cue. My favorite is BEM in ebony wiht flame veneers like the one previously pictured that is ebony/ebony.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
the most gorgeous SW i ever saw was owned by Dick Weaver (touring pro out of the chicagoland area) about 20 years ago. it had a gabon ebony nose with 3 hi and 3 low deep, wide, and kind out of focus grain cocobolo points with no veneers. you almost couldn't see where the edges were on the cocobolo points ended and where the ebony began unless you really looked at it. even still you knew the points were there. it was awesome. i haven't seen anything even close to that cue since. i wish i knew where that cue was.