Machine Lubrication

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to get a feel for what everyone is using to lubricate their machines. I know they make a specific oil for the larger lathes running gear and another oil for the ways but what are you guys with the smaller lathes like the Hightower and Midamerica, Cue companion, and such using to keep your machines lubricated and functioning as close to new as can feasibly be managed?

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 in 1 oil is what I use on everything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Mobil Vectra Oil #2.
You can thin it with acetone or denatured alcohol for different use.

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From this post you'll see that any lubrication is better than none.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mobil Vectra Oil #2.
You can thin it with acetone or denatured alcohol for different use.

I have gallons of this kind of way oil for my metal working CNC, but have never even tried it on my smaller machines. I just always used motor oil on the smaller machines.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Transmission fluid works very good.

Tranny fluid works great on most lathes, prevents rust, penetrates well, and doesn't create the oil 'snot' when wood dust gets on it. it stays on the metal with a thin film way longer with fewer issues than anything else I've used.
Dave

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tranny fluid works great on most lathes, prevents rust, penetrates well, and doesn't create the oil 'snot' when wood dust gets on it. it stays on the metal with a thin film way longer with fewer issues than anything else I've used.
Dave

I like trans fluid on my small CNC mill but not on hard coat anodized aluminum.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I like trans fluid on my small CNC mill but not on hard coat anodized aluminum.

Most parts in a front wheel drive transmission are aluminum, and it holds up well, considering the wear and tear tranny parts go through, 1000's of miles...etc... a lathe is small potatoes to it, and at $5-$6 a quart....can't beat it
Dave

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Atf is quite magic stuff. It has to cope with acids and alkaline, with brass, al, steel and not have electrolisis occur.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I'm also a firm believer in ATF on my Hightower,but I've also found something else that works quite well,esp when you consider the application method.

Plain old Chap Stick ;). It might not work on anything else,but trust me it works like HELL esp if you are only moving the carriage a short distance in Z for a CNC or lengthwise on a manual. Tommy D.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Lube

Straight 30 weight for my hightower lathe

Kim

-

I've used the STR8-30 oil and when the can ran dry I used air compressor pump oil that works just as well on ways,gibs and in/on/around brass/bronze bushings..
If you guys n gals are using a non industrial machine I highly suggest you clean and inspect your machines daily... I've seen and heard of to many Hightower type lathes that are locked/seized up...

Rob.M

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
-

I've used the STR8-30 oil and when the can ran dry I used air compressor pump oil that works just as well on ways,gibs and in/on/around brass/bronze bushings..
If you guys n gals are using a non industrial machine I highly suggest you clean and inspect your machines daily... I've seen and heard of to many Hightower type lathes that are locked/seized up...

Rob.M

I have never heard of a Hightower lathe that is locked or seized up................

Kim

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
30wt or transmission fluid.
Works equally well on a Taig style bed as a regular ground and hardened steel bed.