Where to get 32" length wood and Radial Pin Joint Protector Inserts

eazyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Cue makers,

Where can I get Kiln Dried 32" turning stock and some soft Radial Pin Joint Protectors.

For joint protectors where do you all the the plastic inserts?

Thanks for the help

eazyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What size turning stock would i need to find then? and where would i be able to get it?

Thanks,

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What kind of "turning stock" are you looking for, that might be the first thing you should consider.
Do you want to make a shaft or a butt?
Soft Radial pin`s? Do you mean Delrin?
Radial pin studs for making your own JP`s only come in metal. But you can by Delrin Radial JP`s from several places.

eazyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking to make a plain jane cue so hard maple would suffice. Looking to make butt 32".

I guess Derlin would do but where do I buy just the studs. I would like to insert that into my own wood to make a custom joint protectors.

I have seen Samsara use a soft plastic material.

JC

Coos Cues
Not debating the merits of your project and addressing your original question you should be able to find some wood that length and the proper thickness in boards and cut it into a turning square yourself. Take a look at Cook Woods in Klamath Falls Oregon. They have a lot of random size boards online to look at. There are a few species I would trust to stay straight at that length if you want one piece. Not many though.

JC

PoppaSaun

Banned
Not debating the merits of your project and addressing your original question you should be able to find some wood that length and the proper thickness in boards and cut it into a turning square yourself. Take a look at Cook Woods in Klamath Falls Oregon. They have a lot of random size boards online to look at. There are a few species I would trust to stay straight at that length if you want one piece. Not many though.

JC

Why would you help the handicapped? If this guy is too thick to figure out how to cut a board into a square, he won't ever make a cue.

eazyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
haha thanks PoppaSaun. Im not the one whos gonna work on the cue I just want to pick out the wood myself.

Make sure its Kiln Dried and pick the grain etc.. Thanks for all the input.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
haha thanks PoppaSaun. Im not the one whos gonna work on the cue I just want to pick out the wood myself.

Make sure its Kiln Dried and pick the grain etc.. Thanks for all the input.

Do you have any knowledge about wood and how cues are constructed?
If you're having a cuemaker do the cue for you, why don't you work with him or her?
As for the JP studs, why is it important that they are "soft" I'm guessing Samsara has ordered a bunch from a local machine shop. The only Radial studs you can buy (wich are made by Uni-Loc) is made from metal, SS if I remember correctly.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I am looking to make a plain jane cue so hard maple would suffice. Looking to make butt 32".

I guess Derlin would do but where do I buy just the studs. I would like to insert that into my own wood to make a custom joint protectors.

I have seen Samsara use a soft plastic material.

Purchase some pre-made delrin radial pin joint protectors, many out there, and have the maker machine them down to fit inside the wood casing of your choice.. Voilà!

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I have made full length butts from birds eye maple, curly maple, straight grain maple, bocote, cocobolo, shedua, purple heart, bubinga, etc. Shafts get cut significantly thinner than butts and we expect them to remain straight, even at 32". It should be the easiest cue to make, IMO.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
And be sure to not rely on glue to hold them to the wood.

You got that right .
They do not glue all that well.
Made these. Pic is before I epoxied them.
I cut them from delrin shaft j/p.

Attachments

• jp.jpg
    jp.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 130

PoppaSaun

Banned
Per the joint pins again:

I did some experimenting with casting pins from epoxy a while back. The pure epoxy ones broke pretty easily, even with strengthening fillers. When I cast them around a center rod, they actually worked very well. I have a friend using a cue I converted to a 3/8-10 SS pin to a epoxy/carbon fiber tube pin. He's been using it for well over three years with no problem. The pin weighed about the same amount as a penny.

All you need to do is get a pin with the thread you intend on using and make a RTV silicon mold. After this is done, you can use the mold to hold a rod or tube in the center and cast epoxy around the rod. I found that I didn't even need to split the mold for 4"+ pins. After the epoxy cures for a couple of days, use some 90% isopropyl alcohol and the mold will release very easily.

If you made the pins that way, you can rely on glue to bond them to the wood.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Per the joint pins again:

I did some experimenting with casting pins from epoxy a while back. The pure epoxy ones broke pretty easily, even with strengthening fillers. When I cast them around a center rod, they actually worked very well. I have a friend using a cue I converted to a 3/8-10 SS pin to a epoxy/carbon fiber tube pin. He's been using it for well over three years with no problem. The pin weighed about the same amount as a penny.

All you need to do is get a pin with the thread you intend on using and make a RTV silicon mold. After this is done, you can use the mold to hold a rod or tube in the center and cast epoxy around the rod. I found that I didn't even need to split the mold for 4"+ pins. After the epoxy cures for a couple of days, use some 90% isopropyl alcohol and the mold will release very easily.

If you made the pins that way, you can rely on glue to bond them to the wood.

Thomas Wayne suggested a 1/8th metal rod going through a G-10 screw here one time.
Your molded screw sounds interesting .
Might be a great A-joint stud .