Ferrule threaded on or no?

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Do you prefer to thread the ferrule and tenon, then glue it on or just bore it out smooth and glue it on? And why for the way you prefer? Thanks

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't thread mine. It's more labor and doesn't make it any better. If the glue releases on either they will move, and you would think the threads would be better, but I have never had one move yet, so until I do, I bore and glue. I know there will be guys that answer here that threading is the best way, maybe because they think it's sexy that they figured out how to cut threads. Baloney, I knew how to cut threads 45 years ago, but I've also done enough engineering to know it doesn't improve either the impact or the bond.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I do screwed and glued.....I have replaced many ferrules that were just sleeved...due to the glue joint failing, and the ferrule sliding off and also due to the tenon expanding/contracting different from the ferrule, which will cause the tip to dislodge....I do a fully capped ferrule, with a glue relief hole......20 years and have not had to replace a ferrule that I have installed, except on a couple that cracked.
Dave

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Threaded with shoulder, capped and glue relief hole.
I've seen quite a few sleeved ferrules come loose, that thin layer of epoxy can become brittle and then it's nothing to hold that ferrule on.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Do two mock-ups.
Leave them in your car for a few weeks.
Then check which one has more gap at the bottom.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
All the unthreaded ferrules that I have seen come loose were most likely not glued with epoxy.................... I only thread ferrules on break cues........... I have done hundreds of ferrules with out threading them............... never had one come loose

Kim

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Do Meucci cues have threaded ferrules? I have replaced several ferrules of different makers, and it seems most are not threaded...... Hmmmmmm

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies... The non threaded ones I have replaced, I did cut small grooves in tenon and inside the ferrule......... None have come loose yet..... That I know of anyway..

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies... The non threaded ones I have replaced, I did cut small grooves in tenon and inside the ferrule......... None have come loose yet..... That I know of anyway..

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner...

Dale

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
You're going get answers from both sides and they may both work out for certain situations. But, threading is the sexy way to go about doing things and yea it may take a little longer ( so what's your hurry?), you should be getting paid for doing it the correct way anyhow.
Common knowledge leads me to believe that a mechanical bond + glue of a properly threaded ferrule will out last a glue bond only.
Don't believe me? Try putting both on without any glue and see which one lasts longer.
I'm confident one will attract more dirt and chalk in the seam than the other will. I also don't have to put any white stuff in my glue to hide any inaccurate work detail at the seam when its properly threaded in place.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Do Meucci cues have threaded ferrules? I have replaced several ferrules of different makers, and it seems most are not threaded...... Hmmmmmm

I have replaced many Meucci ferrules......... no threads..... tenon seems to be tapered on some.......... looks like wood glue not epoxy.............. many Meucci ferrules crack because of the large diameter tenon and the thin wall of the ferrule............... just a bad all around idea.................

Kim

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I just had a thought... All of the ferrules I have changed because of cracking, were not threaded. I wonder if the threaded ones hold a little better to maybe prevent cracks... Just a thought....

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A large portion of the repair side of this industry are using purpose built repair lathes.These lathes are not equipped for doing live threading. So if they want to thread a tenon they need to use a threading die which gives mediocre results at best. IMHO this is the fuel which drives the opinion that a through ferrule is equal to that of a threaded one. You could argue that a through ferrule is adequate to do the job but I believe it would be a hard sell to argue that it is equal or superior to a threaded ferrule.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
A large portion of the repair side of this industry are using purpose built repair lathes.These lathes are not equipped for doing live threading. So if they want to thread a tenon they need to use a threading die which gives mediocre results at best. IMHO this is the fuel which drives the opinion that a through ferrule is equal to that of a threaded one. You could argue that a through ferrule is adequate to do the job but I believe it would be a hard sell to argue that it is equal or superior to a threaded ferrule.

Yup.
With the die, the 5/16 18 becomes some .290 18tpi.
The argument that 5/16 18 threaded tenon is weaker because of the threads do not hold much water to me b/c we rarely see broken tenons.
Besides, if you have a real metal lathe, you can increase that tenon size to .350 to .375 if you choose to. You just need to fabricate your own ferrules. Which most are not willing to.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That`s a pretty good point.
I do as Joey says, Use 18 TPI and a 9.5mm tennon. I do all my ferrules from rods, so I can cut them however I choose.

FLYINGSNAIL

Koo Cues
Silver Member
Threaded dowels

Threading all dowels and tenon is the only way for me. Over the years doing repair seeing many of the none threaded coming apart.

threaded shaft dowel for ferrule.jpg

ferruel threaded.jpg