looking at the base of the object ball

sausage

Banned
has anyone else noticed that if you look near the base of the object ball, you can see the line-path to the pocket and more easily judge cue position? it gives me an overall perspective on the entire shot which makes for more effortless play.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
that must be your personal perception because I don't see real connection between the base of the ob and the contact point (cb-ob). (When I first saw Stalev I noticed he was pointing the tip to the base of the cb on his first preliminary stroke. I guess he did this for proper alignment along vertical axis of the ball, I can't find other reasoning)
If it helps you, that's good, use it further.

sausage

Banned
when i aim like this, i'm not really looking for a contact point. what i see is the line of the OB to the pocket and CB position. it forces me to look at the entire shot. that's when i know i'm 'in-stroke'.

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
has anyone else noticed that if you look near the base of the object ball, you can see the line-path to the pocket and more easily judge cue position? it gives me an overall perspective on the entire shot which makes for more effortless play.
The biggest obstacle to sighting the line to the pocket is finding the contact point on the object ball. Being that it's curved makes it very difficult to see. What I try to focus on is a spot on the object balls equator. From there I draw a mental line to the contact point on the front of the cueball, which is a reverse image. Joe Tuckers' aiming by the numbers illustrates this very well. The main thing is, do whatever works best for you. Just be open to other methods and continue to learn.

sausage

Banned
oftentimes the difference between making and missing a shot is just 1/32 of an inch difference on the OB or less. on many shots there is no way to see that. but i don't want to get into an "aiming" thread. i just realized that when i'm in-stroke, i pay attention to the line that the object ball will follow and my cue position. i accomplish this on most shots by looking toward the base of the OB. sometimes on shots where my cue is on the rail, i can see the entire shot by looking at the top of the OB. it gives me the same overall perspective. when i do this, i can make balls effortlessly and run a table quickly. i just need to stay in this groove. i think that this is the difference between playing fast and loose and high runs and playing tight and poorly.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
has anyone else noticed that if you look near the base of the object ball, you can see the line-path to the pocket and more easily judge cue position?

Yes, I've used this as an aiming technique for years. But, I use it only when the shot alignment is straight-in. It is especially helpful to me when the CB and OB are separated cross table.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I think who ever mentioned that it is within our individual perceptions, hit the nail on the head.

My preferred method is to find the contact point on the OB, and if cutting left use the left edge of my cue as a direct line from the CB to that spot, the opposite is true for cuts to the right.

I apply any needed english when I set up my shot as this method works whether you hit center axis or extreme left or right english. Nothing changes you simply use the edge of your shaft on the side you are cutting to.

Using the edge rather than the center, eliminates the problem of leading edges on the round balls. No guesstimation at all . Point and shoot. :)

sausage

Banned
has anyone else noticed that if you look near the base of the object ball, you can see the line-path to the pocket and more easily judge cue position?

Yes, I've used this as an aiming technique for years. But, I use it only when the shot alignment is straight-in. It is especially helpful to me when the CB and OB are separated cross table.

YES, that is what i have learned too. i also use it when i'm making a long-shot from behind the rack, to the head pocket. what is visible to me is the path of the object ball. i know this because on these long-shots, i KNOW that i've missed the shot after the OB travels only a short distance because it's not on the track. if i concentrate only on that fricking spot on the ball without taking the entire shot into consideration, my time at the table is limited.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YES, that is what i have learned too. i also use it when i'm making a long-shot from behind the rack, to the head pocket. what is visible to me is the path of the object ball. i know this because on these long-shots, i KNOW that i've missed the shot after the OB travels only a short distance because it's not on the track. if i concentrate only on that fricking spot on the ball without taking the entire shot into consideration, my time at the table is limited.

For me, alignment, in all its vagarities, has always been the biggest challenge. Watching guys like SVB is almost disheartening. His ablility to hit super straight every time is remarkable not to mention his control of speed of stroke. It is always telling on long, straight shots; his cueball never slides a millimeter either side after contact, just dead straight stop.

sausage

Banned
For me, alignment, in all its vagarities, has always been the biggest challenge. Watching guys like SVB is almost disheartening. His ablility to hit super straight every time is remarkable not to mention his control of speed of stroke. It is always telling on long, straight shots; his cueball never slides a millimeter either side after contact, just dead straight stop.

i read a quote from CJ Wiley a while back where he talks about making a connection with the pocket. i believe that seeing the OB track is this connection. the precise spot on the ball is automatic when you can see the track and then concentrate on cue position. on the difficult cut-shots, concentrating solely on cue position is key. when the cue behaves as planned the shot will go unless you just planned poorly or got a bad hit on the cue.