Straight Pool Deluxe iPad App

cstrombe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My straight pool scoring app, Straight Pool Deluxe, was just accepted by the App Store. It’s iPad (and iPad Mini) only.

I’m working on creating a stripped-down free version to allow people to give it a test run, but for now it’s priced at $4.99. I’ll PM a promo code for a free install to the first responder on this thread who indicates they would like to try it out (but remember, is iPad only)! :) This forum was very helpful during app development, so happy to "give back" in some small way.

Also would appreciate any feedback on the app from users here.

Here’s App Store link with screenshots and features: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/straight-pool-deluxe/id870290295?mt=8

Scoring dashboard screenshot:

screen480x480.jpeg

Thanks,
Chris

cstrombe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately is ipad only :( Thanks for the interest though! Maybe someday I'll do an iphone version, although the screen real estate is so small, I think it would be hard to fit everything....

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was a beta tester for this app and it is pretty sweet. Especially if you are a bit of a stat junkie. Tracks tons of data. Good stuff! Perfect for league play.

Now I know some are saying, "Why have an app to keep score? I just use beads, counters, pencil and paper, etc." Well if all you want is score then, yep, those work fine. Our league tracks a number of stats - Innings, misses; safeties, fouls, top five runs - for handicapping purposes, and this makes it simple.

Overtime, interesting to see your stats stacked up against different individuals.

Thumbs up from me! :thumbup:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get at it man. I would like to use tonight for my straight pool league. One version for the iphone and one for the android system. By 7 would be good.

Michael Fedak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks great !! Congratulations.

As to the iPhone .... don't write it off .... just remember that there will be a new iPhone with a 6 inch screen released in the late autumn. It will have 1,704 x 960 resolution so that it can accommadate the apps of the larger devices. Keep it on your radar cstrombe..... and good luck!

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just downloaded the App and played a fictional game. I was warned when I was on 2 fouls which is good. I especially like the game and shot timers. There is a link to the WPA rules which is also good to have. Will use this for league contests this summer.

Kudos, Great App.

cstrombe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just downloaded the App and played a fictional game. I was warned when I was on 2 fouls which is good. I especially like the game and shot timers. There is a link to the WPA rules which is also good to have. Will use this for league contests this summer.

Kudos, Great App.

Thanks for the feedback. Welcome any ideas/suggestions for improvements or issues you encounter.

cstrombe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hoping this gets released on android. Why tablet size only?

I actually started developing the app on my android phone, but then realized the tablet screen size would suit what I wanted to do better. Phone screen seemed too small for what I wanted to show.

Would love to release Android version, but is doubtful. The dev environment and language are completely different so cannot share code between the two platforms...painful. :frown:

cstrombe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks great !! Congratulations.

As to the iPhone .... don't write it off .... just remember that there will be a new iPhone with a 6 inch screen released in the late autumn. It will have 1,704 x 960 resolution so that it can accommadate the apps of the larger devices. Keep it on your radar cstrombe..... and good luck!

Thanks for the feedback, and yes, I have heard about possibility of larger iphone screens...will keep my eyes on it.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I actually started developing the app on my android phone, but then realized the tablet screen size would suit what I wanted to do better. Phone screen seemed too small for what I wanted to show.

Would love to release Android version, but is doubtful. The dev environment and language are completely different so cannot share code between the two platforms...painful. :frown:

What are you using to develop? There are a few platforms to code once and output to any OS.

Dave

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are correct, but I have not investigated any of those yet. I'll have to look into it. Am using the Apple Xcode platform currently.

I agree with the bolded -- you DO need to look into it. Coding apps for a single platform is like coding websites to be viewable only with a certain browser. "This site can only be viewed with Apple Safari." R-i-g-h-t. ;)

-Sean

P.S.: after Apple bought Beats, did you hear about the new feature they announced for the Beats headphones? It's called treble. :p

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Used my Straight Pool Deluxe App in a 125 point game with a fellow league member, Hank, yesterday. I showed him the basics of how to run the scoring and we were off. Works well but differs from Billiards Buddy that you don't have to wait until rack is over to "post" your score..it is real time and accumulates with each ball pocketed. Also displays number of balls you or your opponent is behind in the game (nice feature). I made a scoring error which was very easy to back out and correct. Hank was running short on time and we cut the game short at 100 balls (easy to do as has button just for that function). Keeps more game and player stats then any statistics guru might want.

One of the features I like best is the shot and game timer. In league we have a few extremely slow players and now I will be able to show them how slow they actually play (with the thought speeding their play up).

Has link to World Standardized rules which is great.

I also have an IPhone, but think the App is more suited for an Ipad bigger screen.

I am impressed with the App and will use it for all of my games going forward as it will keep a history of BPI, high runs, avg shot time, etc.

-Dennis

Last edited:

cstrombe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am impressed with the App and will use it for all of my games going forward as it will keep a history of BPI, high runs, avg shot time, etc.

-Dennis

Hi Dennis, thanks for the feedback, glad you like the app. A couple of notes on some features: there are two scoring modes, rack mode and "real time" mode, so you can switch between them by tapping just below the score. Also, if you tap the Points Behind, it will switch to Points Remaining.

Let me know if you find any issues or think of features that would make the app more useful. Also, would really appreciate a review in App Store :smile: .

Thanks,
Chris

jayrox

Toxic Moose
Silver Member
Recently purchased the app. 14.1 isn't popular around my neck of the woods, but a team mate and I have recently started playing. Still learning the rules and think this app will make things a little easier. We'll be using tonight for the first time.

Jason