14.1 - Do I need my head examined?

ironhead_79

Let's Just Play To Play!!
Silver Member
Hi, my name is Dan and i'm an 14.1 addict, wait a minute, isn't the 12 step program to help you quit, i don't wanna quit, i wanna be a junkie the rest of my life. at least till i hit 100 run, ok that'll be the rest of my life. Don't worry the obsession will wear off after awhile, but the passion never leaves, it'll make you that much better.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Slider said:
I have heard of two Schmidt 14:1 videos. One is available from Accu-Stats, and the other is a 240+ run that John filmed himself. Which one is best?
dmgwalsh put it good already. As for me I couldn't choose between them. I love DCC 111 run for the better commentary actually. Though John might be more relaxed on 245 tape I noticed that Pat Fleming asks him proper questions and thus John explains more shots.
Really, you should get both. If you want to decide yourself try to download the videos available online through DC hub or torrent tracker (when the latter is up again). All thanks for sharing to dmgwalsh-straight-pool-vids-king IMO ;)

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
Welcome to the Club

I started with straight pool more than 30 years ago and still love it! :)

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I bought the 245 run and it on the way here...can't wait. I'm still undecided whether or not I am going to get the accu-stats one, but I probably will eventually because John Schmidt is my favorite player, straight pool is my favorite game, and I'm a sucker for player review tapes.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Love of straight pool is a condition for which there is no known cure. You're hooked, like some many others here on AZB.

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
Jimmy M. said:
There's no cure. Once you get hooked on that game, that's it. I hear the same thing from the one-pocket players about their game but I have yet to experience that addiction first-hand. In my opinion, straight-pool, when played well, is the most sophisticated, elegant game there is on a pool table.

It's true, once you get that first taste of 1P you'll crave it for the rest of your days, but admitting you have a problem is the first step:D :D

Jake(admitted 1P abuser)

TimFXF

A Wouldbe Hasbeen
Silver Member
OK, the bumper sticker should say...

Honk if you know 14.1...

One ball at a time. Just call it...

Easy Does it (on the break)...

People, Places and Clusters...

Tim

(A nod to those who know Bill W.)

S

Scottster

Welcome to the game of Champions. I have played pool since the age of 12, but never played 14.1 much until 12 months ago. I am extremely fortunate in the knowledge I have access to in this game, and have learned so much in the last year it is incredible.

The great thing about this game is the challenge of meeting or exceeding your goals. Whether it is running 100, or 30 for the first time, the sense of personal accomplishment you feel when obtaining your goal is the same no matter what level your game is currently at.

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
I have yet to play straight pool, but I'm sure I'll be hooked when I do. To me it looks very similar to snooker when you're making a decent break with the black & keep chipping away at the pack of reds. All about position, position, position. Love that stuff!

Also, it strikes me as the best pool game for keeping an eye on your personal landmarks. As in "What's your highest run?" Like snooker, "What's your highest break?"

I really must try it.

KCarson

Land Of Fruits and Nuts
Silver Member
Straight Pool Has No Equal

Njhustler1 said:
Don't forget though, it's also really really good for practicing your concentration over an extended period of time. Really comes in handy when you're playing in a tournament that's all day long.

In other games I play, my misses usually come from lapses in concentration during what should be a simple runout. When playing straight pool, the first time you have a miss in the middle of the 3rd rack on the most simple shot, the frustration will be overwhelming. The second time you miss that same type of shot in 3rd, 4th or 5th rack, the concept of taking no shot for granted is driven home. IMO, playing or practicing straight pool has the potential to dramatically improve every aspect of your game.