thanks bob jewett

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just want to say thanks bob for putting on the 14.1 challenge at the derby.first off you put up 10,000 of your own money and you sat there all week and let us play.the players ive talked to them and believe me ,they love the event.its almost like playing golf ,its just you against the course to see what score you can post and if someone gets a better score they win. there is no argument on the rack,no hooking your opponent if you miss etc etc.what was really nice is you could polish the balls without any arguments.furthermore mika,charlie,johnny,mike davis and a few others specifically asked me if they could use the set of polished aramiths i brought with me .i said sure and at the end of the tourney all those guys told me thanks and they loved the way the balls played ,especially the cueball.i mentioned all that about the balls because there seems to be a differing opinion on weather you should polish the balls and cueball before a match. i and most of the top players agree its the only way to go.thats why i clean the cueball off before every rack because you wont get skids as often.also you can do way more with the cueball,like kill shots,finess draw,and the rails wont play boingy.anyway again bob thanks for everything youve done for pool, i and the rest of the guys want to say thanks bigtime.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
john schmidt said:
i just want to say thanks bob for putting on the 14.1 challenge at the derby.first off you put up 10,000 of your own money and you sat there all week and let us play.the players ive talked to them and believe me ,they love the event.its almost like playing golf ,its just you against the course to see what score you can post and if someone gets a better score they win. there is no argument on the rack,no hooking your opponent if you miss etc etc.what was really nice is you could polish the balls without any arguments.furthermore mika,charlie,johnny,mike davis and a few others specifically asked me if they could use the set of polished aramiths i brought with me .i said sure and at the end of the tourney all those guys told me thanks and they loved the way the balls played ,especially the cueball.i mentioned all that about the balls because there seems to be a differing opinion on weather you should polish the balls and cueball before a match. i and most of the top players agree its the only way to go.thats why i clean the cueball off before every rack because you wont get skids as often.also you can do way more with the cueball,like kill shots,finess draw,and the rails wont play boingy.anyway again bob thanks for everything youve done for pool, i and the rest of the guys want to say thanks bigtime.

Tap! Tap! Tap!

It seems to me, observing from the sidelines as I am, that straight pool is experiencing a rebirth... as it were. I'm certainly becoming more and more interested in playing more 14:1 and I have a couple of friends who are. My hope, as regards the DCC is that we'll see more of this game and, since I watch the Derby from home, I 'm hoping that more 14:1 will be streaming to us out here. I'd love to see a good "TV" setup that plays continuously when other matches are not being featured.

Last edited:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
john schmidt said:

Tap-Tap-Tap... great information on taking care of the cue ball, John. I appreciate everything that Bob Jewett, Randy Goldwater, Charlie Williams, and YOU have done to bring 14.1 back where it belongs - up front and center as the true test for the greatest players in the world.

BANKONIT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WITH ALL THAT IS SAID BAD ABOUT POOL HERE ARE 4 NAMES TO SAY WHAT IS RIGHT ABOUT POOL. Bob Jewett, Randy Goldwater, Charlie Williams,John Schmidt , THANKS GUYS. !!!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Bob Jewett is one of pool's great treasures. Like others in this thread, I recognize and appreciate what Bob does to keep straight pool alive. As noted, Charlie Williams and Randy Goldwater have also stepped up to the plate in a big way for straight pool, and I admire them, too.

Like many, I think that the fact that straight pool thrives in the New York and New Jersey areas is what made it practical to have the first World Straight Pool Championship in a very long time last spring.

At least by my reckoning, one person has done more than any other in this part of the country to keep straight pool alive and well, and that is Danny Barouty. Best known as an exceptional and elite straight pooler, Danny has also done a lot to a) arrange straight pool tournaments, b) participate in and direct straight pool leagues, and c) promote straight pool as a local ambassador for the game.

So let's add Danny to our thank you list. He's somebody special in straight pool, too.

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
youre right

barouty is a heck of a 14.1 player and poolplayer all around and also a nice guy.ive learned some things watching him play.

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
john schmidt said:
thats why i clean the cueball off before every rack because you wont get skids as often.

Forgive my ignorance here - but how are you polishing the cue ball between racks? Marking where it was, pick it up, clean it, put it back? I'm assuming that sort of thing was allowed at Bob's thing?

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
Hi John,

I have a photo of you and Jeanette at page 7 of my DCC2007 photo album:
http://cuetable.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=4800&g2_page=7
(I have uploaded all photos I took from Louisville)

AZB has a file size limit so I can't upload it here...

Now, do you have a shot layout for me?
9b.gif
straightpool.gif

Attachments

• bob_dcc2007.jpg
    bob_dcc2007.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 349
Last edited: