Paid a huge compliment at league

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I had a real feel good moment last night.

I ran a 37 during a league match last night, and the feel good moment was after running a perfect 28 my opponent walk up to me and says " watching you play is like watching one of those tapes" " only differance is that you are not doing commentary on what you are thinking on every shot"

I was kind of taken back by that, and had to pause for a moment and collect my feelings and keep shooting. Eventually I missed at 37 because of the great tables we have to play on.

At that point he approached me and shook my hand and said " congrats, and was very pleased that I did that against me. Instead of that other grumpy shlep that was playing on the table next to us " lol

Share your feel good match moments here !

Steve

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
after running a perfect 28 my opponent walk up to me and says " watching you play is like watching one of those tapes" " only differance is that you are not doing commentary on what you are thinking on every shot"

I was kind of taken back by that, and had to pause for a moment and collect my feelings and keep shooting...

Congratulations, Steve - just remember, now you have to deal with the pressure of living up to that standard. lol

One time at a local tournament, I was talking with a guy after a match about how he had missed position on a shot. I explained to him that he could have followed two rails to get from the 4 to the 5... that way he would have avoided scratching in the side pocket. He stopped me in mid-sentence and said -

"Well... that's easy for you to say, but nobody around here shoots like you do. When we play against you we're just playing not to miss. All I think about is what's gonna happen when I miss, and why the hell I come here every week and pay to sit in a chair to watch it."

:shrug:

I still would have went two rails to the 5.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Nice going

I ran a 37 during a league match last night, and the feel good moment was after running a perfect 28 my opponent walk up to me and says " watching you play is like watching one of those tapes" " only differance is that you are not doing commentary on what you are thinking on every shot"

I was kind of taken back by that, and had to pause for a moment and collect my feelings and keep shooting. Eventually I missed at 37 because of the great tables we have to play on.

At that point he approached me and shook my hand and said " congrats, and was very pleased that I did that against me. Instead of that other grumpy shlep that was playing on the table next to us " lol

Steve

Nice run with that League match on tough tables. I have the same problem with my 14-1 League with tables. My high run last season during the League was 58. New season has just begun.
I had went to my mentor's house (LeRoy Kinman) and played some pool after a long time of not playing pool with him due too his age & health as he is 82. After playing he told me "you have a sweet stoke & you can play with anyone". That really meant a lot coming from him and I will never forget it.
There was one other time during 8-ball leagues that I was shooting & after wards. A player told me that I am intimidating to other players when I am up at the table.
That made me feel good too.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Had one of those just recently, at the Tony Robles' Predator Open/Pro 10-ball event

(I know it's not 14.1/straight-pool related, but methinks it's still in the same spirit?)

I had one of those "feel good" moments this past weekend at the Tony Robles' Predator tour, during the Open/Pro 10-ball event. Even though the Predator is mainly a 9-ball event (and those that know me, know that I dislike the game of 9-ball), the 9-ball event was for A/B/C/D players. I consider myself a high "A"-level player, perhaps A+ (or AA), but the more I thought about it, the more I swayed against playing in the 9-ball event, and opted to play with the pros in the Open/Pro 10-ball event. What attracted me to the Open/Pro event was 10-ball, played according to WPA rules (call-shot on every shot, with the call safety option), and Tony Robles addition to the rules whereby if a player misses a called shot, the incoming player has the option to look at the layout of the table, and if he/she doesn't like it, to give the table back to the previous player. (This definitely cuts-down on two-way shots, as well as "lucky leaves.")

Anyway, after spending some great pre-tourney time with both Tony and Gail, karma being what it is, I draw Tony as my very first match. We had a fantastic match -- each one punished the other's mistakes -- and I'll let Gail's words speak for themselves:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=2229596#post2229596

I felt very complimented and encouraged by Gail's post.

I got knocked out of the tourney later by another hill-hill match. Later, I engaged in a little after-hours action, and I came out winner. While I was standing around watching one of the last remaining Open/Pro 10-ball matches that was going on, I overheard a guy "trying to whisper" to one of the guys that I'd previously engaged in a little action with. I made like I was intently watching the match and "couldn't hear anything," but I could hear about every other word this guy was whispering to my prior action opponent. I caught on that it had something to do with me. My prior action opponent responded to him with, "Him?" [gently and "secretly" motioning his thumb in my direction -- which I caught out of the corner of my eye] "You'll need a big spot. I wouldn't advise it."

Deep inside, I felt very complimented. Went home that night with a big, big smile on my face.

-Sean

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Does it count if something happens to you that makes you feel so bad, you actually have to laugh? Hope so!

At the 2008 World 14.1 I was scheduled to play Corey Deuel, who I'd never officially met, in the first round of the double elimination phase. The match was scheduled to start in about 20 minutes, and the players were all by their tables practicing. Corey hadn't shown up yet, and since I felt pretty good, I decided to stop practicing. I went over to chat with Allen Hopkins, who was going to play someone on the table next to ours.

So in comes Corey as I'm talking to Allen. As he walks by, we give each other that "hey" nod that opponents will give to each other before an important match. Cool.

So after a few minutes, I'm still talking to Allen, letting Corey hit some balls. Corey finally comes over to us and says to Allen, "Hey, you know where Steve Lipsky is? I don't know who the hell this guy is." Oh man, it was awful lol. I laughed, as did Allen and then Corey when he figured it out, but inside I was thinking, "How the hell does this guy not know who I am???"

And thankfully, I showed him who I am, by actually making one ball before losing 150-1.

- Steve

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Does it count if something happens to you that makes you feel so bad, you actually have to laugh? Hope so!

At last year's World 14.1 I was scheduled to play Corey Deuel, who I'd never officially met, in the first round of the double elimination phase. The match was scheduled to start in about 20 minutes, and the players were all by their tables practicing. Corey hadn't shown up yet, and since I felt pretty good, I decided to stop practicing. I went over to chat with Allen Hopkins, who was going to play someone on the table next to ours.

So in comes Corey as I'm talking to Allen. As he walks by, we give each other that "hey" nod that opponents will give to each other before an important match. Cool.

So after a few minutes, I'm still talking to Allen, letting Corey hit some balls. Corey finally comes over to us and says to Allen, "Hey, you know where Steve Lipsky is? I don't know who the hell this guy is." Oh man, it was awful lol. I laughed, as did Allen and then Corey when he figured it out, but inside I was thinking, "How the hell does this guy not know who I am???"

And thankfully, I showed him who I am, by actually making one ball before losing 150-1.

- Steve

That's a funny story. It's hard to imagine the speed it takes to beat someone like you 150-1.

tksix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great story Steve................its cool when you have those moments!

My most recent moment was after our ACS Sate Championships last year. My son who was 11 took second in the 14 and under juniors event. I received many compliments that day about his stroke, table presence, and gentlemanlyness. On the way home we were driving and discussing all he did well and what we needed to work on.

After some time past, the car was quiet..................my son looks over at me and says. " Hey Dad, thanks for coaching me so I could come in second at State!" And with a lump in my throat, I look over and say "Son I am coaching you to be a Champion, and you played like a Champion today!!"

That was by far my coolest pool memory to date!!!!!!

Mike

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey plays the game beautifully. Let's hear one of your stories Spider, good or bad!

How about this?

So I show up for league only to find out I'm playing Mr. Lipsky in a 150 point game. He tells me he has no cue and proceeds to select one off the wall. He looks over the tip, doesn't roll it across the table or anything. He hits a few balls and says, "Okay, I'm ready." He then proceeds to run 103 balls on me and was interrupted no less than five times by people offering up their cues and some really good ones, to boot. Steve declined each and every time. "Actually, I'm good but thanks!" - was his typical response. I'm thinking, "If you've been paying attention to the fact the man hasn't sat in half an hour, YOU'D KNOW HE DOES NOT NEED YOUR CUE!"

When Steve was done, he put the cue back up on the wall. I'm 100% certain the very next person who used it was probably 22 years old, drunk and saying, "Wow, these cues all suck. Not a single one is straight."

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Great Lipsky story Jude! I am 100% sure there will be many many Lipsky stories discussed well into the future amongst 14.1 fans.

Here is a little story I have. We will title it "when you know your in deep shit".

Its 1987, I am in the Eastern States 14.1 Championships. Tournament is Friday-Sunday. I am there thursday night hanging out for a while with a few buddies. In the door comes the late great Pat Howey from Rochester. I go over to greet Pat and his wonderful wife, 2 of the nicest people you will ever meet. Pat says lets hit some so I can get used to the speed, ok and we are off to a table. I said lets just set up a breakball and I will rack for you first. He proceeds to run 127 on his first attempt, acts like he is discusded he got out of shape on 128. I say "go again Pat? he says yup. His next inning he proceeds to run 212!!

Now, already the "done in" feeling has set into me to start with. BUT, then the door opens and in walks Jack Colavita, a little while later the door opens again and in walks Mike Zuglan. It was official,the night before the tournament I was "in deep shit"! LOL

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Lipsky story Jude! I am 100% sure there will be many many Lipsky stories discussed well into the future amongst 14.1 fans.

Here is a little story I have. We will title it "when you know your in deep shit".

Its 1987, I am in the Eastern States 14.1 Championships. Tournament is Friday-Sunday. I am there thursday night hanging out for a while with a few buddies. In the door comes the late great Pat Howey from Rochester. I go over to greet Pat and his wonderful wife, 2 of the nicest people you will ever meet. Pat says lets hit some so I can get used to the speed, ok and we are off to a table. I said lets just set up a breakball and I will rack for you first. He proceeds to run 127 on his first attempt, acts like he is discusded he got out of shape on 128. I say "go again Pat? he says yup. His next inning he proceeds to run 212!!

Now, already the "done in" feeling has set into me to start with. BUT, then the door opens and in walks Jack Colavita, a little while later the door opens again and in walks Mike Zuglan. It was official,the night before the tournament I was "in deep shit"! LOL

That reminds me of when I went to Bayside Billiard Club in Queens with a buddy of mine. We were young, looking to gamble, heard there was action. I walk in, sit down and watched Danny Barouty run 100. In the same time frame, Tom Walter did not miss. That's probably a run of 12 but trust me, it was an impressive 12. He went on to run at least 50 in that inning. There was a third gentleman that I also saw run over 50, all on adjacent tables, all at the same time.. I looked at my friend and said, "Let's go home."

Last edited:

BigCat

The Panda Diaries
Gold Member
Silver Member

Steve

This is one of the reasons I love straight pool leagues. There is just so much respect and admiration for the game and the elder statesman that play it well.

I wish all of pool was like this.

Ray

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member

At the 2008 World 14.1 I was scheduled to play Corey Deuel, who I'd never officially met, in the first round of the double elimination phase. The match was scheduled to start in about 20 minutes, and the players were all by their tables practicing. Corey hadn't shown up yet, and since I felt pretty good, I decided to stop practicing. I went over to chat with Allen Hopkins, who was going to play someone on the table next to ours.

- Steve

Stevie, that was a "GREAT" story. leave it to you for something like this to happen........I mean who in the world doesnt know the Great Lipper !!!!!!

Steve

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
guys i am truely loving all the stories, it just shows that you dont have to be a superstar to have great stories. At least here we can all share them amungst our selves in joy and laughter.

Thanks and keep'em comin !
Steve

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
My story actually happened last night at league....

I had to play a guy who shoots pretty well IMO, but he is one of those players who thinks he is better then everyone and is very cocky... he has to shoot 100 balls where i only have to shoot 18. I broke, he ran a few, i got up and did not make a ball, he shot a few balls, i get up and ran a 6, he got up ran a rack and a half then missed....i ran 12 to beat him 18-17 :) he was not happy! He shook my hand took apart his stick and stormed out!! When he left all the guys came over to me telling me how awesome that was and how well i ran those 12 balls. I really did a great job i must say!! My cue ball control was on, my position was on, my speed was good it felt really great! To have beat him the way i did, play as well as i did, and have all the guys telling me how awesome i ran those balls felt really awesome!! I am the only female on the league to the acceptance from them really means alot!

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member

- Steve

Thats great!! LOL i was cracking up when steve read that to me!

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member

I had to play a guy who shoots pretty well IMO, but he is one of those players who thinks he is better then everyone and is very cocky... he has to shoot 100 balls where i only have to shoot 18. I broke, he ran a few, i got up and did not make a ball, he shot a few balls, i get up and ran a 6, he got up ran a rack and a half then missed....i ran 12 to beat him 18-17 :) he was not happy! He shook my hand took apart his stick and stormed out!! When he left all the guys came over to me telling me how awesome that was and how well i ran those 12 balls. I really did a great job i must say!! My cue ball control was on, my position was on, my speed was good it felt really great! To have beat him the way i did, play as well as i did, and have all the guys telling me how awesome i ran those balls felt really awesome!! I am the only female on the league to the acceptance from them really means alot!

Good stuff :)

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Corey plays the game beautifully. Let's hear one of your stories Spider, good or bad!

Good:

So one day I'm bapping balls around at Pool Sharks and I just ran something like 30 or 40-and-out on someone who was spotting me 50 in a race to 150. We were playing for an all-u-can-eat meal at Chloe's (the last time I ate there, I sat by Phil Ivey - that was pretty cool).

Hopkins took a sip of his beer and said, "Ya know, I didn't know you can play like that. You play pretty straight pool better than I thought. How can I get a chance to win a free meal since you're up a meal?"

I sat and though how I could squeak one over on Hop. I knew no matter what the game was, no matter what the spot, I was the dog with paralyzed back legs for sure.

I tell him we'd play a quick game -- he goes to 50, I go to 10 (my thought process was if ANYTHING happened on his end - I'm out) ---- and I break. I offered to break because I felt as though I was breaking REALLY well and if I got lucky enough to stick him on the rail - that's how I wanted to start the game.

Here's how I left Allen:
screenshot20100121at530.png

As soon as I left him there, I cocked-off saying something like "Ahd-vahn-tage Spidey" in my best French Open accent (I think that was on the TV there above the bar). I might have pumped my fist too --- cause I'm trying to get in his head, ya know? I got it hyped, believe it. Make him think on EVERY ball hehehehehehe!

Basically, Allen didn't hit a ball all day. He took his RC3 cue, screwed it together, walked over to the rack to stare at it, walked behind the cue ball, came down into his stance, and he wasn't even IN HIS DAMN STANCE YET and his cue shot forward in the fastest forward movement without a back-stroke I've ever seen. In a flash..... the 5 ball WARPS into the pocket, the rack explodes, and he ran 50-and-out faster than a waitress would take to get me a vodka and tonic at the Mandalay Bay BJ table. So much for my strategy - but that was beautiful to watch.

(I know I told that story before, months ago-- but it still makes me smile thinking about it)

Better:

A few of you know I like to try to setup my camera and try to record a good run in my basement. So, about a month ago I have the table all vacuumed-up, my shaft slicked, balls polished, iced-t on the shelf and my laptop warmed up. I'm wearing a black t-shirt so I look good on cam and my cats are locked upstairs so they can't shark me.

iMovie is loaded--- video settings perfect *CHECK* ready to go *CHECK*

I setup a break shot....explode the rack... and continue to run 54 on my first attempt (this NEEEEEEEEVER happens). It was so beautiful - I was never in danger. I give my little trademark peace-sign as I go to stop the ........ *FVCK*...... I never hit the START RECORDING button :(

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's a great story! It reminds me of a similar experience I had, back in 1994 I was playing in my first ever 14.1 league, I had been playing pool for a grand total of maybe 3 months at the time with a high run of 10 balls. I had never played anyone who could run more than a rack and who do I have to play? Jonathan Smith, a 100 ball runner and one of NYC's finest straight pool players. I can honestly say it was to this day the only time I have ever been really nervous in a match. He had to make 150 balls and I only had to make 30 balls.
He runs the first rack then I scratch, then scratch again, he runs 40+ balls so effortlessly I was mesmerized ( I had never even seen video of great players yet so this was a new and surreal experince for me) Jonathan is now up 60 to -2. It was on the main table so quite a few people are watching and I'm thinking I just don't want to end up in the negatives when this match ends. So I finally get to the table and the balls are wide open. I manage to run 5 or 6 and miss he runs a rack or so and misses I run 7 or 8 (I'm playing way over my head)

I'm such a novice that I don't even know how to play position yet, I'm just firing away any ball I see, and of course by luck I'm not leaving much when I miss. Finally it's 78-19 and I run 11 and out! I don't even know I'm out until Jonathan says "you're out". I shake his hand but he looks more than a little put out. To this day that's one of my best pool memories.

Last edited: