improving your game

rbpwrd240

Sponsored Player
Silver Member
Well to get strait to the point.

I generally play 8,9 and 10 ball but I love strait pool. There is an older gentleman on my team who is able to beat most people he plays in strait pool becouse he is very conservative. I am trying to get my high run over 30 balls and havnt put much time into this game in the last 3 years. I desperatly want to demolish my foe with a level of play that he wont be able to match. Alas he seems to best me everytime we play.

When I met my adversary he had spent many hours at the table developing all the shots and skills he needed to be a great player, he just didnt know it yet. I encouraged him and brought him into tougher competition. His 8 ball has improved but he still only looks at strait pool as run 6 safe run 9 safe etc etc etc

I try to make a corner ball on the brake either a one pocket brake on the second ball or bringing a corner ball back up to one of the top corner pockets. blow up the stack and run. However my lack of time spent with the game is obviuse so how exactly do I improve my game from here? What are the drills etc. Anything helps guys. Ill be sharing this with my friend as well...

Alex

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
for starter i would recomend picking up :

John Schmidt's straight pool dvd's
danny harriman's dvd
Jim Rempe's how to run a rack and how to run 100s

all 3 of these helped me emensly.

watching matches helps as well, watch how the pros play patterns and try to duplicate there simple strokes. plus the way they surgically pick apart a rack. For that i really like to watch Jim Rempe and Jose Garcia !

if you like books i recomend

Phil Capelle's "Play Your Best Straight Pool"
George Fels - How would you play this and Advanced Pool
Arthur "Babe" Cranfield & Laurence Moy - The Straight Pool Bible

More importantly Stay Focussed, and pay attention to every Nuance of the game and cue ball movement.

good luck
Steve

Last edited: