Oldest Player to Run 100 For the 1st Time

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Guys - How they rolling?

I don't post in here much (or never) but I sneak in here from time to time to check on things.

I have been practicing my 14.1 all by my lonesome for the past few weeks and I got to thinking about the holy grail of pool - the 100 ball run. At least to me, that has always been the measuring stick for a good player. I know a lot of people don't agree with this and I understand the arguments but as far as I'm concerned - it still be so!!!

Anyways, forgive me if this has come up before but I'm been wondering who would be the oldest player to have run 100 balls for THEIR first time? This is kind of interesting to me. Have there been a lot of guys that have really put in the time and maybe completed their first 100 ball run at the age of 40? How about 50 or 60? Anyone know of anybody like this?

Just curious.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Guys - How they rolling?

I don't post in here much (or never) but I sneak in here from time to time to check on things.

I have been practicing my 14.1 all by my lonesome for the past few weeks and I got to thinking about the holy grail of pool - the 100 ball run. At least to me, that has always been the measuring stick for a good player. I know a lot of people don't agree with this and I understand the arguments but as far as I'm concerned - it still be so!!!

Anyways, forgive me if this has come up before but I'm been wondering who would be the oldest player to have run 100 balls for THEIR first time? This is kind of interesting to me. Have there been a lot of guys that have really put in the time and maybe completed their first 100 ball run at the age of 40? How about 50 or 60? Anyone know of anybody like this?

Just curious.

I think this is a great question. I didn't start playing until I was in my early 30s and stopped playing for a couple of years (I'm back now). Now I'm 42 and hope there is still time for me.

Pete

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am 45 and have not ran that elusive 100 yet but have no doubt it is possible for a player to run the first century at 40,50, 60 or even 70 as long they have good eyes and a smooth stroke.

I give total props to guys who play well and have a tremor, they are amazing. You know who you are and I do not need to call you by name.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this is a great question. I didn't start playing until I was in my early 30s and stopped playing for a couple of years (I'm back now). Now I'm 42 and hope there is still time for me.

Pete

I'm in that same boat but a few years younger (35). I usually go at it for a few months before I give up trying to run balls. I've figured out in the past few years that I REALLY needed to work on my pocketing skills and that's were I have spent the majority of my time. I guess I will see if it pays off.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am 45 and have not ran that elusive 100 yet but have no doubt it is possible for a player to run the first century at 40,50, 60 or even 70 as long they have good eyes and a smooth stroke.

I give total props to guys who play well and have a tremor, they are amazing. You know who you are and I do not need to call you by name.

This is why I asked the question really.

I wanted to hear some motivating stories from those that reached this mountain-top later in life. Although, I'm afraid they may say that they reached this peak only to realize they weren't all the way to the top. Oh well, I guess the enjoyment is supposed to come from the journey to the top.

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Good Que

Excellent question! Historically I would say that if someone was going to run 100 they would do it in their playing prime, which would be late teens through early 30's I guess. But that was when straight pool was popular. What we have now is a whole lot of players who learned and grew up with straight pool, left it, and are now finding their way back to it later in life. Many of which never hit that magical number, but certainly can now with the right amount of practice, focus and luck. I'd say not a whole hell of a lot have done it at this point in time, but there'll be quite a few 20 or so years from now. Hopefully I'm an example. Ran 76 at 18 years old and the world shifted to 9-ball. Since returning to the game 3 years ago I have a run in the 80's, a few in the 70's and at least a dozen in the 60's. Sooner or later it's gonna happen.

Great question - and thanks for asking it.

Ron F

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent question! Historically I would say that if someone was going to run 100 they would do it in their playing prime, which would be late teens through early 30's I guess. But that was when straight pool was popular. What we have now is a whole lot of players who learned and grew up with straight pool, left it, and are now finding their way back to it later in life. Many of which never hit that magical number, but certainly can now with the right amount of practice, focus and luck. I'd say not a whole hell of a lot have done it at this point in time, but there'll be quite a few 20 or so years from now. Hopefully I'm an example. Ran 76 at 18 years old and the world shifted to 9-ball. Since returning to the game 3 years ago I have a run in the 80's, a few in the 70's and at least a dozen in the 60's. Sooner or later it's gonna happen.

Great question - and thanks for asking it.

Ron F

Hurry up and get there Ron before we get too many more responses.

You could be that guy!!! :D

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it certainly possible to run your first 100 over the age of 60 or 70. My father ran his highest ever run of 79 balls at 59 years of age, while it's not 100 I can easily see how it would be possible. He played for a few years when he was younger then quit and took the game up again when he was 56. He didn't practice much at all, just played in a 14.1 league and gambled (cheap games) when he could. Not long after he ran the 79 he got bored and quit again and hasn't played since. I have no doubt he would have had a 100 ball run if he continued just another year or so.

A couple of things I think that contributed to his improving with so little practice:

He only played 14.1...hated 9 ball and other games.

My father never doubts or questions himself, he doesn't overthink things like so many pool players do. When he shoots a shot, he assumes it's going in the pocket, thus he never choked on a shot. I think that kind of confidence matters a lot.

Last edited:

LApoolbum

Good thread, I had to join this one. Played as a kid but started playing seriously at age 19, "lived the life" for eight years then went back to (you know what's coming..) a business, a wife, and a child. I love pool just like George Fels does but I wouldn't trade my family for anything. It sounds like there are quite a few of us with this common history and we are in good company, Joe Balsis comes to mind in this regard.

At that time single foul nine ball was the game and my playing developed accordingly. Don't get me wrong, I was taught to be an all around player and I played all three games but rotation was my origin. I mention that because later on, when I was able to play only infrequently, I deliberately played only 14p1 because I wanted to own the break shot the way I owned an open nine ball table with ball in hand.

It has taken some years but my high run( I am too embarrassed by the many great players here to state it exactly) is short of one hundred but much better than the 30's I ran during my 20's. My transition through the break shots is smooth and I handle the trouble spots that come up fairly well but I don't seem to have the concentration to get through the sixth rack. The great players really do have nerves of steel.

Just like Mr. Fels I keep playing to get that feeling you get when you drop into stroke and the balls just keep falling and falling and falling. There's nothing like it.
Cheers,

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Hey,

i really dont think age has anything to do with it....

As long as you play good and smart patterns, there should be no run ceiling because of age.

I have run over a hundred 4 times in my life, didnt happen til i was in my late 30s after a long stint in eh-hem (9ball) and a break do to some family issues. I havent hit the triple digits in about a year and a half, and there is no doubt in my mind that i wont do it again.

Lately i have a bunch of runs in the 60s and 70s so i hope its just around the corner, but i wont let it get the best of me if it doesnt. if there is one thing i have learned its patients and that comes from playing the great game of 14.1

-Steve

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I ran 57 when I was 57.

I played a bit when I was young but not really that much. My high run was 23 way back then. I got back to pool more seriously 6 or 7 years ago and it has been a long slow process, but I have improved my game. I am still working on it and hope to improve some more.

Marop and I discuss how we are battling time as we try to improve. Skills and knowledge may improve, but vision, stamina, may deteriorate. I am going to keep fighting the good fight and see where it takes me.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it certainly possible to run your first 100 over the age of 60 or 70. My father ran his highest ever run of 79 balls at 59 years of age, while it's not 100 I can easily see how it would be possible. He played for a few years when he was younger then quit and took the game up again when he was 56. He didn't practice much at all, just played in a 14.1 league and gambled (cheap games) when he could. Not long after he ran the 79 he got bored and quit again and hasn't played since. I have no doubt he would have had a 100 ball run if he continued just another year or so.

A couple of things I think that contributed to his improving with so little practice:

He only played 14.1...hated 9 ball and other games.

My father never doubts or questions himself, he doesn't overthink things like so many pool players do. When he shoots a shot, he assumes it's going in the pocket, thus he never choked on a shot. I think that kind of confidence matters a lot.

That father of yours is pretty impressive, other than the quitting part :)

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good thread, I had to join this one. Played as a kid but started playing seriously at age 19, "lived the life" for eight years then went back to (you know what's coming..) a business, a wife, and a child. I love pool just like George Fels does but I wouldn't trade my family for anything. It sounds like there are quite a few of us with this common history and we are in good company, Joe Balsis comes to mind in this regard.

At that time single foul nine ball was the game and my playing developed accordingly. Don't get me wrong, I was taught to be an all around player and I played all three games but rotation was my origin. I mention that because later on, when I was able to play only infrequently, I deliberately played only 14p1 because I wanted to own the break shot the way I owned an open nine ball table with ball in hand.

It has taken some years but my high run( I am too embarrassed by the many great players here to state it exactly) is short of one hundred but much better than the 30's I ran during my 20's. My transition through the break shots is smooth and I handle the trouble spots that come up fairly well but I don't seem to have the concentration to get through the sixth rack. The great players really do have nerves of steel.

Just like Mr. Fels I keep playing to get that feeling you get when you drop into stroke and the balls just keep falling and falling and falling. There's nothing like it.
Cheers,

Sounds like you are on your way. Let's see here (5 x 14 = 70), so your high run is in the 70's. Oh no, I think I just let your secret out. LOL. That's a respectable high run in my book.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey,

i really dont think age has anything to do with it....

As long as you play good and smart patterns, there should be no run ceiling because of age.

I have run over a hundred 4 times in my life, didnt happen til i was in my late 30s after a long stint in eh-hem (9ball) and a break do to some family issues. I havent hit the triple digits in about a year and a half, and there is no doubt in my mind that i wont do it again.

Lately i have a bunch of runs in the 60s and 70s so i hope its just around the corner, but i wont let it get the best of me if it doesnt. if there is one thing i have learned its patients and that comes from playing the great game of 14.1

-Steve

Easy for you to say - so far you are the oldest person to have broken 100 for the 1st time (Late 30's). This is what I was looking for. I'm sitting here at 35. My high run is only in the 50's but I haven't really spent much time playing the game. The 100 ball run has always been in the back of my mind.

I ran 57 when I was 57.

I played a bit when I was young but not really that much. My high run was 23 way back then. I got back to pool more seriously 6 or 7 years ago and it has been a long slow process, but I have improved my game. I am still working on it and hope to improve some more.

Marop and I discuss how we are battling time as we try to improve. Skills and knowledge may improve, but vision, stamina, may deteriorate. I am going to keep fighting the good fight and see where it takes me.

You need to speak with Mr. Kur about this age thing. You two need to duke it out over whether or not age plays a roll.

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
I didn't run my first hundred until I was in my 50's. Funny thing, I didn't meet John Schmidt until I was in my 50's. Hmmmm.....

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't run my first hundred until I was in my 50's. Funny thing, I didn't meet John Schmidt until I was in my 50's. Hmmmm.....

That's awesome! Do you think you appreciated this feat (breaking 100) more than you would have had you accomplished this at a younger age?

I'm guessing you did.

After my VERY VERY extensive 2 days of research (LOL) you are now on the top of the list of the oldest guy to break the 100 ball barrier for the 1st time.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
That Magic #

Magic number *100*
Well, I received a call from NY from a good friend (Stevie) telling me to add to this good Thread. So here it goes. First of all, I don't want to be "OLD......... LOL
I ran my first 100 matter of fact it was 116 at the age of 35 before I needed glasses. I did not run another 100 until my 50's. It was so long in between the 100 ball run that I had to question myself at times if I really did it. There is no way that back then that I was as good as I am in my 50's with knowledge etc. but I had those young "Hawk Eyes" and I shot my way threw the racks some how.
I owe my current playing level to the 14.1 Forum here on AZ. Even though I have a great mentor in teaching me. I really have paid attention to my playing abilities since joining the Forum wanting to do good for myself in the eyes of other players. With the great posts from guys like Blackjack, Steve K, Dennis, Sfleinen and many others. It has helped me so much. We all can do it. I have now ran my good share of 100's but it still is not a easy thing to do. I still have a long way to go but I am enjoying it more now trying to achieve better levels then ever before thanks to our Forum.

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Thanks for chiming in Mikey !!!

Something told me by the title of this thread that I needed to get in touch with you !!! Lol. Must be your good looks :)

I think you most certainly belong on the list !!!

Keep shooting well
Steve

Wofgang144

straight-pool lover
not the first, but the second

On Dec. 27. 2010, I run a 101 in friendly competition with a teammate. I was 54 then. My 144 alltime high was way back in the mid eighties. Those two are my only centuries (both under practice conditions).
My league high is 93 from 2006.
I seem to get more consitant but less aggressive the older I get.. Nower days I prefer to string some smaller runs rather then chase the century. In my opinion three consecutive 30ies (maybe split by some safeties)are as intimidating to my opponents than a single 100.
Greetz from Ger. Wolfgang