Increased Interest

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps it is just a local phenomenon but I think I see signs that interest in straight pool is increasing. Our straight pool round robin at Boomer's has been ongoing for 5 years now and Break & Run is initiating another which will be held each Thursday afternoon starting 5-17-12. There are 8 players signed up so far.

Dave Nelson

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Perhaps it is just a local phenomenon but I think I see signs that interest in straight pool is increasing. Our straight pool round robin at Boomer's has been ongoing for 5 years now and Break & Run is initiating another which will be held each Thursday afternoon starting 5-17-12. There are 8 players signed up so far.

Dave Nelson

We seem to have more guys coming into Red Shoes and asking when the leagues start up. More new guys in the tournaments on Saturday, too.

Which reminds me. Straight Pool Tournament at Red Shoes this Saturday!!!:grin:

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
can any of y'all edumacate me on how to set up a regular 14.1 event?

the room i go to has open 9-ball tournaments once a week. the format is race to 5, double elimination, and race to 9 for the final. i understand how that works, having played in it a few times. there are also 8-ball events, about which i know nothing.

is there a way to set up an equivalent 14.1 event? even if you had the opening rounds just to 50, the matches could take over an hour, so it doesn't seem possible as a one-night deal. even the 9-ball often ends after 1am.

i'd like to try to start something, because the interest is growing here as well, and i think there's at least one night available with no other organized events. but i have to admit, just about ALL of the language about more complex 9-ball and 8-ball events is opaque to me, so i'm way out of my depth trying to figure out the way it would work for straight pool.

you all must have solved this, probably in multiple ways; help out a n00b? is there a best way to go, given a room with good rotation players who Used to play straight pool 10-20 years ago and are interested enough to want to play me every time i walk in even though they've forgotten most of what they knew? it's not a big crowd, but many of these guys are in there every night. there are 9 9' Brunswick GC's and Anniversaries, perfectly maintained.

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
We seem to have more guys coming into Red Shoes and asking when the leagues start up. More new guys in the tournaments on Saturday, too.

Which reminds me. Straight Pool Tournament at Red Shoes this Saturday!!!:grin:

Dave Nelson

Thats awesome, i guess more and more people are realizing what a beautiful game it really is.

kinda makes us all like we all took part in revitalizing the art !!!

This season i am playing at Raxx for their in house 14.1 league, Holden Chin really does a fantastic job at running the league. and it has to be the fairest handicap system i have ever seen. he said ordinarily he gets about 18 players in the league. but this season it has jumped up to 23 players.

thinking about asking him if we can do a quarterly 14.1 tourney, with maybe a little (hint, Hint, Nudge, Nudge) Stream !!!

now that would be fantastic !!
-Steve

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member

the room i go to has open 9-ball tournaments once a week. the format is race to 5, double elimination, and race to 9 for the final. i understand how that works, having played in it a few times. there are also 8-ball events, about which i know nothing.

is there a way to set up an equivalent 14.1 event? even if you had the opening rounds just to 50, the matches could take over an hour, so it doesn't seem possible as a one-night deal. even the 9-ball often ends after 1am.

i'd like to try to start something, because the interest is growing here as well, and i think there's at least one night available with no other organized events. but i have to admit, just about ALL of the language about more complex 9-ball and 8-ball events is opaque to me, so i'm way out of my depth trying to figure out the way it would work for straight pool.

you all must have solved this, probably in multiple ways; help out a n00b? is there a best way to go, given a room with good rotation players who Used to play straight pool 10-20 years ago and are interested enough to want to play me every time i walk in even though they've forgotten most of what they knew? it's not a big crowd, but many of these guys are in there every night. there are 9 9' Brunswick GC's and Anniversaries, perfectly maintained.

Well Bob,

for starters thats why leagues work when it comes to 14.1, play one or 2 matches per week and run the season for as long as it takes for everyone signed up to play each other.
you can use the handicaps from the 8 & 9 ball tourneys as a guideline for players ability. then you throw into the mix of how would you play this or that person if you would to play even, give an honest answer as to how fair the games would be.
each week players will go up or down based on there previous weeks performance.
there are also a couple of other things you can do to promote fair play such as weekly high run prizes or bonus points if a player beats another player before his/her opponent get to half of their handicap.

Charlie and I worked that into the 4 successful 14.1 seasons that were held at our previous room. it seemed like it worked real well and players really enjoyed it.

Give me a call if you would like to discuss it further

-Steve

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only league I would consider joining locally would be 14.1 but I don't think it will ever approach the popularity of 8 ball or 9 ball because of the skill required to play.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

Bob: Like Steve says, if you are talking about week nights, leagues are the way to go because of time constraints. We do tournaments, races to 100 or more, but we do them on Saturdays and they take a good 12 hours or more, depending on the numbers of players.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both the Boomer's and Break & Run 14.1 round robins are held in the afternoon, so most of the players are retired old folks like me. It's nice because the juke box is seldom played, the t.v.s are off and the bar boxes are silent. At B & R we also have an 8 ball round robin on Monday afternoons which is pretty well attended. It's fun but no substitute for 14.1.

Dave

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dave Nelson

Here in MN, we are down a bit in our summer session compared to fall, winter and spring sessions. With the nice weather it seems to be a more difficult sell. For summer session we are at 16 players whereas winter session was 24.