14.1 - Do I need my head examined?

TimFXF

A Wouldbe Hasbeen
Silver Member
I've been playing "pool" for a year. Tonight I played 14.1 for the first time. Oh, I've read about it... "played" it (kinda) on my home table...

I think I'm in love.

My folks will say, "Son, 8-Ball is more your speed!" Or they'll tell me about this nice little 9-Ball that lives down the street. (Yeah, but where's the break? I ask them.)

I'm hooked.

Is there a 12-step program for this? I can quit anytime, but...

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
TimFXF said:
I've been playing "pool" for a year. Tonight I played 14.1 for the first time. Oh, I've read about it... "played" it (kinda) on my home table...

I think I'm in love.

My folks will say, "Son, 8-Ball is more your speed!" Or they'll tell me about this nice little 9-Ball that lives down the street. (Yeah, but where's the break? I ask them.)

I'm hooked.

Welcome. You'll find many more of us sick individuals here.

Last night, it felt so good when I made a cut on the short rail and bumped a ball about 2 inches to turn it into a break shot and then completed the rack, got on the break shot, broke them and kept going.... for awhile.

Rempe and Sigel both have good videos on straight pool. Capelle's book is a must buy.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
dmgwalsh said:
Capelle's book is a must buy.
Approved :)
Sigel has a lot to show, and latest runs by John Schmidt where he tries to explain every move are of highest value!

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i love 14.1 i finally ran just over 2 racks about a month ago. i know it's not a lot of balls to some but it felt great to me

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
TimFXF said:
I've been playing "pool" for a year. Tonight I played 14.1 for the first time. ... I'm hooked....
Being near NYC you are also lucky. The World 14.1 Championships will be held in East Brunswick, NJ, July 8-14.

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
TimFXF said:

I think I'm in love.

I'm hooked.

There's no cure. Once you get hooked on that game, that's it. I hear the same thing from the one-pocket players about their game but I have yet to experience that addiction first-hand. In my opinion, straight-pool, when played well, is the most sophisticated, elegant game there is on a pool table.

mworkman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm obsessed with it. Not sure it's a good thing. Once I get done with the drills I want to do, 14.1 is all I do. I should be working on other games too, but I just can't help myself. Good luck.

Slider

S.F. Bay Area
Silver Member
Which Schmidt video?

Vahmurka said:
Approved :)
Sigel has a lot to show, and latest runs by John Schmidt where he tries to explain every move are of highest value!

I have heard of two Schmidt 14:1 videos. One is available from Accu-Stats, and the other is a 240+ run that John filmed himself. Which one is best?

Ken

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
Slider said:
I have heard of two Schmidt 14:1 videos. One is available from Accu-Stats, and the other is a 240+ run that John filmed himself. Which one is best?

Ken
I wasn't aware of the 240+ video. Thank you for letting us know...

I'm hooked on 14.1 too, and I'm playing a league. Problem is, the last match I played, the guy wasn't trying to sell out and we played safeties for like freakin' 15 minutes.

I won but I was so exhausted afterwards, it felt like a ahead one-pocket session...:eek:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Slider said:

Ken

The short accustats has better production values and is commentated by Schmidt and Pat Fleming. The long one is filmed in a garage and is commentated by John Schmidt. If I had to choose one, I'd take the 245. John seems more relaxed in his comments and it is a very good run.

But why choose? get Both!

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Hi, my name's rayjay and I'm an addict. Just been playing for about three months and I'm hooked. Won a game against my mentor for the first time (outside of no-count) on Monday, 100-73. I had no idea....:p

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like 14.1 but only for the practice aspect. It shows you how to break up balls without getting locked up. It also teaches you how to run more than 10 balls at a time. It requires precision, logic and lots of skill. Once you get good at this game 9 ball and 8 ball seem like childs play.

Njhustler1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mnShooter said:
I like 14.1 but only for the practice aspect. It shows you how to break up balls without getting locked up. It also teaches you how to run more than 10 balls at a time. It requires precision, logic and lots of skill. Once you get good at this game 9 ball and 8 ball seem like childs play.

Don't forget though, it's also really really good for practicing your concentration over an extended period of time. Really comes in handy when you're playing in a tournament that's all day long.

kennyratt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My name is Kennyratt and I am a Straight-aholic!! O'my, what have I done!!! Regards, Kennyratt