Schon 1993 Compatibility

PoolDood

Registered
I just recently purchased a 1993 schon, pictured below.

After testing 4 different shafts and 3 different cues, all with 5/16x14 pins, I thought I'd share my test results. I'm sharing this info as I've seen questions on here regarding these pins but there seems to be conflicting information regarding them.

The Cues: Schon (1993), Adam & Joss

Joss is a 2003 and the Adam was purchased new last year.

The Shafts: Mezz WD700, Predator Pre-Cat, Schon Pre-94 & Schon 1993.

I'm calling the one Schon shaft a Pre-94 as it has the logo on the collar but not sure when it was made.

1993 Schon (Butt)
==============

The Mezz WD700 & Predator Pre-Cat fit on the 1993 Schon. Also, both Schon shafts fit the Schon Butt. I also tried 2 generic 5/16x14 shafts on the 1993 Schon and all worked fine.

Even with the odd pin the 1993 Schon doesn't seem to have problems fitting aftermarket shafts.

1993 Schon (Shaft)
===============

Obviously, the 1993 Schon Shaft fit the 1993 Schon Butt, however, it did NOT fit the Adam or Joss.

I couldn't get the shaft to screw onto the Adam. The shaft screwed onto the Joss but stopped about 1/4 from the end. See pics below.

Also, The Pre-94 Schon shaft fit on the Schon, Adam & Joss

The Schon Pilots

In the last picture is a close-up of the pilot on the two shafts. The left shaft is the 1993 & the Pre-94 is on the right. The Pre-94 is slightly concave and the 1993 is flat.

cues1.jpg

cues2.jpg

cues-schonpre94.jpg

cues-schon1993.jpg

cues5.jpg

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Pretty cool, glad someone actually put this to the test! I've got a 1993 Schon SL 17 that was my main player for almost 15 years. The pilots on those shafts are fatter than most 5/16 x 14, as you showed...I can get any other shaft to fit the butt, but those shafts WILL NOT fit any other cue. I'm interested in the other Schon shafts having narrower pilots and apparently fitting the other cues...I love Schon shafts and would buy them as extras for my CC in a heartbeat, if only I knew they would fit...any idea on modern Schon shafts and their compatibility?

PoolDood

Registered
I will visiting my dad later this month. He's got a newer Schon, with a new shaft, logo on wood. When I get there, I'll post how it fits, with pictures.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will visiting my dad later this month. He's got a newer Schon, with a new shaft, logo on wood. When I get there, I'll post how it fits, with pictures.

It is really quite simple.

The Schon pin is not 5/16 x 14. It is .308 x 14 (5/16 =.3125)

The inserts in Schon shafts are equivalently undersized to fit the 'smaller'
Schon pin.

Soooo...

Any 'real' 5/16 x 14 shaft will screw onto a Schon pin. Whether or not
it will seat depends on the diameter of the tab of the insert compared
to the ID of the joint.

In general - Schon shafts will not fit on any butt with a 5/16 x 14 pin
because the ID of the insert is too small.

Dale

Last edited: