My Private Lesson with Mike Sigel

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its garbage. Anyone who puts crap like that on their site is a scammer. I don't care if Efren says he's the toughest opponent he ever played, he's still a scammer.

You simply do not understand the pool ethic. Any moral, ethical, or fraudulent behavior is permissable so long as the person plays well or makes good cues. I have seen more excuses for execrable behavior tendered by seemingly decent people because the perp was a friend of theirs, or played great, or make great cues. Someone gets screwed by a cue-maker and right away the defenders jump in. Someone behaves like an @$$ at the table and everyone excuses it because it is a great player.

It is pool. The song in the Music Man, nailed it.

ya got trouble, folks right here in river city
trouble with a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for pool

http://www.letssingit.com/meredith-wilson-lyrics-ya-got-trouble-wn5q3tl#axzz4AujZOHGr

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I've always thought that Mike was a little over the top and maybe narcissistic but your post is making me rethink this. Thanks for your professional opinion. JoeyA

Hey Joey, thank you for your response. I absolutely could see how at face value, especially via TV, Mike could be seen that way. Having got to spend time with him I can tell you he's a high energy guy who is extremely enthusiastic & passionate about pool, about playing pool, about competing in pool and about teaching someone pool. In a sense, he is over the top, but not with conceit. Don't get me wrong, he knows he's Mike Sigel, and all that goes with that, but there's more to him than that and he knows it...and from what I could see, he takes comfort in it. He doesn't wear it like a sign or a medal.

Later in to the 6 hours of our lesson some folks recognized him and came over to say hello. He was gracious, humble and very personable. After a few minutes he said to his band of admirers that he had to excuse himself as he was teaching a private lesson. He offered to get back to them after the lesson if they were still in the pool hall. I can only speak from my experience, the guy is a class act.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
These kinds of one-on-one lessons with champions are truly invaluable. Maybe it's a one of a lifetime thing. Bucket list is a good description. Kind of pool's version of a Fantasy Camp.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
If I ever regain my strength and stamina, I would very much like to take a lesson with Mike.
He is my all-time favorite player (14-1).

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drop The Rock...I don't know where you got your information, but it's completely wrong. There were no teams that qualified for prize funds and were not paid. Mike is no longer associated with the GPPA (like the IPT, Mike was never an owner of this league...only a representative), which has been sold to one of the original LO's. It's re-introduction is currently on hold.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

The GPPA totally flopped and people who were promised prize money didn't get paid.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Mike comes out here to Cali I would love to take a lesson with him. The man is a legend.

Efren always credits Mike as one of the greats.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
This is good to hear. I am starting to feel better and will have to look Mike up. I loved his game as well as his attitude.

In games were there is only one winner, you have to have an "edge" to your attitude and approach. Think racing, tennis, golf, and yeah, pool. Some guys don't show it, but they have it...remember, 2nd place is the best LOSER. :)

Phil,

My hero, Ayrton Senna deSilva, once said "second is first among those who lose". Keep thinking about that every time I start a tournament final. Think Mike's ego is so large he never finished second! Perhaps that is why he was such a great player. Fear of losing!

Lyn

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
If Mike comes out here to Cali I would love to take a lesson with him. The man is a legend. Efren always credits Mike as one of the greats.

Mike does group lessons as well. If you were to get enough people to "pool" their resources together (pun intended) I'm sure he could make it very affordable. It couldn't hurt to email him and ask. -Z-

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last month I was able to check one off my bucket list, I had a private lesson with Mike Sigel. To be fair I need to cop to the fact that Mike is my all time favorite player. While meeting him was a thrill he also has a reputation as being an excellent instructor.

He holds his private lessons in Orlando Fl. Or, if you have the ching, he'll come to you.

Let me start by saying this, Over the 6 hours we spent together, I felt like I got to know Mike quite a bit. He's a really nice guy...a real sweetheart actually. For someone who holds the title of "The Planet's Greatest Living Pool Player" Mike is a very humble guy. That's not to say he's not confident, but his confidence is well earned and very well justified, all without being off-putting.

Funny as it may sound, 75% of the improvement I received from the lesson came in the first 5 to 10 minutes. Apparently I had developed a toxic habit of holding the butt end of the cue in an AFU sort of way. I wasn't even aware I was doing it. The next major score was my @$$ backwards understanding of english and english vs.cutting. Mike straightened that out too. In spite of his sophistication on the table, Mike believes simple & natural is the best way to play...unless you're left with only options that are not.

Mike is an awesome instructor, and also a little bit of a drill sergeant, but in a good way...he wants you to see results for the money & effort you put into the lesson. He's not the type to be content (or let you be content) just hanging out & schmoozing. He is going to make you work...which for me is how it should be. He's also going to challenge you into working outside your comfort zone.

Suffice to say I had an awesome time and probably will book another lesson with Mike sometime down the road.
For anyone interested you can contact Mike via his new website http://www.mikesigel.com/.
I have to say, the prices for his lessons were very, very reasonable. Trust me, you'd be surprised.
Nice, sincerely written post from a few months back, DJ, and the interesting replies, pro and con, within the thread. I do have a question however, regarding the part of your post (I've reddened the text) about your pre-professional-instruction grip:

If you had videotaped yourself from time to time -- as is likely with many improvement-minded AZBers -- wouldn't the oddness of your grip have been revealed to you repeatedly? (I'm not at all meaning to discount in any way, the very obvious value of your visit with Mike.)

Just wondering.

Arnaldo

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Several years ago when Mike was the house pro in MD I took lessons from him and really enjoyed it. I highly recommend if you have the opportunity.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
arnaldo...Not necessarily. Most people don't know what to look for. Therefore it is definitely NOT obvious when something is wrong...especially when you've been doing it for a long time. It takes professional observation and analysis, using slow motion video to really get through to somebody.

To the OP...did Sigel use video analysis? No?...I didn't think so.

Scott Lee

Nice, sincerely written post from a few months back, DJ, and the interesting replies, pro and con, within the thread. I do have a question however, regarding the part of your post (I've reddened the text) about your pre-professional-instruction grip:

If you had videotaped yourself from time to time -- as is likely with many improvement-minded AZBers -- wouldn't the oddness of your grip have been revealed to you repeatedly? (I'm not at all meaning to discount in any way, the very obvious value of your visit with Mike.)

Just wondering.

Arnaldo

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
arnaldo...Not necessarily. Most people don't know what to look for. Therefore it is definitely NOT obvious when something is wrong...especially when you've been doing it for a long time. It takes professional observation and analysis, using slow motion video to really get through to somebody.
Excellent point, Scott. That aspect makes a great deal of sense. I now recall Hal Mix saying that exact thing to a Billiards Digest interviewer many years ago regarding a number of top-level professional players (Nick Varner; Kim Davenport; etc.) who came to him individually for some eagle-eyed coaching and game tune up when they were finishing lower in tournaments and some not-so-obvious adversities had crept into their techniques.

Gets back to an old, time-tested description of teachers in general: "A good teacher invariably is a person who notices things that most people wouldn't."

Arnaldo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

To the OP...did Sigel use video analysis? No?...I didn't think so.

Scott Lee

scott
with no disrespect
1) your video equipment is from the 1990's??
there are so many better equipment since then
even if they do the same as what you are after it is still alittle cheesey
2) i would think that 90% of your lessons are on stroke mechanics
i dont think you would say you could coach how to play better than mike
having taken lessons from both of you
when i couldnt hit the broad side of a barn
you helped me with my mechanics
when i wanted you to help me specificaly with my vision center
you were not so helpfull
mike was great in explaining
hitting THRU THE BALL
AND aspects of straight pool and 9 ball
i didnt understand
also he showed me some shots in onepocket i didint know
perhaps because of you (really hunter lumbardo and mark wilson)he did not have to spend alot of time on my fundamenatals
i will always recommend you for strokes
i havent tried you for the other things
but
mike segal
is an excellent instructor to teach you how to play
AND SCOTT CAN DEFINITELY GET YOU STARTED
i hope we are still freinds after this
it is what it is ( from my side of the tennis court)
sincerely
larry

Last edited:

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a true honor this must have been for you. Of course take a 6 hour lesson from one of Billiard's all time greats! You will have that memory for the rest of your life, do not let anyone sour it for you...they weren't there, they didn't have the pleasure...good on ya!

B8kill3r

B8kill3r
Last month I was able to check one off my bucket list, I had a private lesson with Mike Sigel. To be fair I need to cop to the fact that Mike is my all time favorite player. While meeting him was a thrill he also has a reputation as being an excellent instructor.

He holds his private lessons in Orlando Fl. Or, if you have the ching, he'll come to you.

Let me start by saying this, Over the 6 hours we spent together, I felt like I got to know Mike quite a bit. He's a really nice guy...a real sweetheart actually. For someone who holds the title of "The Planet's Greatest Living Pool Player" Mike is a very humble guy. That's not to say he's not confident, but his confidence is well earned and very well justified, all without being off-putting.

Funny as it may sound, 75% of the improvement I received from the lesson came in the first 5 to 10 minutes. Apparently I had developed a toxic habit of holding the butt end of the cue in an AFU sort of way. I wasn't even aware I was doing it. The next major score was my @$$ backwards understanding of english and english vs.cutting. Mike straightened that out too. In spite of his sophistication on the table, Mike believes simple & natural is the best way to play...unless you're left with only options that are not.

Mike is an awesome instructor, and also a little bit of a drill sergeant, but in a good way...he wants you to see results for the money & effort you put into the lesson. He's not the type to be content (or let you be content) just hanging out & schmoozing. He is going to make you work...which for me is how it should be. He's also going to challenge you into working outside your comfort zone.

Suffice to say I had an awesome time and probably will book another lesson with Mike sometime down the road.
For anyone interested you can contact Mike via his new website http://www.mikesigel.com/.
I have to say, the prices for his lessons were very, very reasonable. Trust me, you'd be surprised.

Mike%20Sigel.jpg

I had a two hour lesson from him and it was a big waste of time, period.............