My Private Lesson with Mike Sigel

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Last month I was able to check one off my bucket list, I had a private lesson with Mike Sigel. To be fair I need to cop to the fact that Mike is my all time favorite player. While meeting him was a thrill he also has a reputation as being an excellent instructor.

He holds his private lessons in Orlando Fl. Or, if you have the ching, he'll come to you.

Let me start by saying this, Over the 6 hours we spent together, I felt like I got to know Mike quite a bit. He's a really nice guy...a real sweetheart actually. For someone who holds the title of "The Planet's Greatest Living Pool Player" Mike is a very humble guy. That's not to say he's not confident, but his confidence is well earned and very well justified, all without being off-putting.

Funny as it may sound, 75% of the improvement I received from the lesson came in the first 5 to 10 minutes. Apparently I had developed a toxic habit of holding the butt end of the cue in an AFU sort of way. I wasn't even aware I was doing it. The next major score was my @$$ backwards understanding of english and english vs.cutting. Mike straightened that out too. In spite of his sophistication on the table, Mike believes simple & natural is the best way to play...unless you're left with only options that are not.

Mike is an awesome instructor, and also a little bit of a drill sergeant, but in a good way...he wants you to see results for the money & effort you put into the lesson. He's not the type to be content (or let you be content) just hanging out & schmoozing. He is going to make you work...which for me is how it should be. He's also going to challenge you into working outside your comfort zone.

Suffice to say I had an awesome time and probably will book another lesson with Mike sometime down the road.
For anyone interested you can contact Mike via his new website http://www.mikesigel.com/.
I have to say, the prices for his lessons were very, very reasonable. Trust me, you'd be surprised.

Attachments

• msigel.jpg
    msigel.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 876
Last edited:

pfd studios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am personally delighted to here that your experience with Mike was such a positive one. I have been acquainted with Mike on and off most of my adult life - although truth be told Mike and I both grew up outside of Rochester, NY only 10 minutes apart. I have followed MIke's career from the 70s on . . . back then Mike was so strong that if you found that you drew him first match your next move was to see who you would play on the losers side - and you hadn't chalked up yet.

But, I must admit, it was not until recently, while seeing Mike here in Connecticut, that I gained a real appreciation for his ability to teach not only the basics but many of the subtleties of the game . . . having Irving Crane be your mentor may have helped - lol.

Clearly money well spent.

Paul
=======

Having private lessons with Mike is worth every penny and his "stories" are a real bonus.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I am personally delighted to here that your experience with Mike was such a positive one. I have been acquainted with Mike on and off most of my adult life - although truth be told Mike and I both grew up outside of Rochester, NY only 10 minutes apart. I have followed MIke's career from the 70s on . . . back then Mike was so strong that if you found that you drew him first match your next move was to see who you would play on the losers side - and you hadn't chalked up yet.

But, I must admit, it was not until recently, while seeing Mike here in Connecticut, that I gained a real appreciation for his ability to teach not only the basics but many of the subtleties of the game . . . having Irving Crane be your mentor may have helped - lol.

Clearly money well spent.

Paul
=======

Having private lessons with Mike is worth every penny and his "stories" are a real bonus.

Paul,

Mike and Steve grew up right next door to my ex in Irondequoit. Where were you? Rochester is not much of a pool town now. Mike used to give lessons at Classic Billiards on West Ridge Road after his split. Enjoyed listening to his stories. For a while that is ;) .

Lyn

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Humble?" Not my way to describe a narcissist. He can't do commentary because he won't stop talking about himself.
Perhaps he is a great teacher. Any pool player would probably treasure a lesson from him and no matter the price, realize they got a bargain.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
"Humble?" Not my way to describe a narcissist. He can't do commentary because he won't stop talking about himself.
Perhaps he is a great teacher. Any pool player would probably treasure a lesson from him and no matter the price, realize they got a bargain.

I can see how some see Mike that way from what I'd call his "persona" On stage or off he is a very confident guy when it comes to talking about anything pool & billiards related...and has the chops to justify it.

As far as being a Narcissist; maybe I'm taking you too literally, but I've been a practicing Psychotherapist for over 20 years and from what I saw, Mike isn't a Narcissist, not even close. Does he have big ego? Yes, absolutely, but that being said most people who achieve what he has have a big ego. Spending time in the Pool & Billiards world for as long as I have it's been my observation that bravado goes with the territory. It's part of the culture and can be an important part of intimidating an opponent. Very few people I've met (in the Pool world) with big egos have the accomplishments to back up even half of the ego they have. From my experience with Mike, his accomplishments, relatively speaking, far outweigh his ego. During my lesson with him I was treated with genuineness, respect, kindness, and thoughtfulness. Hardly the treatment associated with most Narcissists. Just my perspective. -Z-

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can see how some see Mike that way from what I'd call his "persona" On stage or off he is a very confident guy when it comes to talking about anything pool & billiards related...and has the chops to justify it.

As far as being a Narcissist; maybe I'm taking you too literally, but I've been a practicing Psychotherapist for over 20 years and from what I saw, Mike isn't a Narcissist, not even close. Does he have big ego? Yes, absolutely, but that being said most people who achieve what he has have a big ego. Spending time in the Pool & Billiards world for as long as I have it's been my observation that bravado goes with the territory. It's part of the culture and can be an important part of intimidating an opponent. Very few people I've met (in the Pool world) with big egos have the accomplishments to back up even half of the ego they have. From my experience with Mike, his accomplishments, relatively speaking, far outweigh his ego. During my lesson with him I was treated with genuineness, respect, kindness, and thoughtfulness. Hardly the treatment associated with most Narcissists. Just my perspective. -Z-
Drop mic....nice response.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is good to hear. I am starting to feel better and will have to look Mike up. I loved his game as well as his attitude.

In games were there is only one winner, you have to have an "edge" to your attitude and approach. Think racing, tennis, golf, and yeah, pool. Some guys don't show it, but they have it...remember, 2nd place is the best LOSER. :)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a nice lesson. I too have heard great things about his instruction.

Unfortunately, it looks like he is up to Trudeau's old scams. Look at this crap on his website. I'm shocked he would put this garbage on his site.

http://www.mikesigel.com/opportunity.html

You have to be a moron to fall for that shit, and you have to be a predator to try to sell it. IMO of course.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as being a Narcissist; maybe I'm taking you too literally, but I've been a practicing Psychotherapist for over 20 years and from what I saw, Mike isn't a Narcissist, not even close. Does he have big ego? Yes, absolutely, but that being said most people who achieve what he has have a big ego.

I'm curious. Clinically speaking, does it change your viewpoint if such a person, hypothetically speaking, resorts to lying knowingly about other player's records in order to make their accomplishments seem greater? This, with no particular audience other than a casual private conversation.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I like your perspective.

I've always thought that Mike was a little over the top and maybe narcissistic but your post is making me rethink this.

Thanks for your professional opinion.

JoeyA

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a nice lesson. I too have heard great things about his instruction.

Unfortunately, it looks like he is up to Trudeau's old scams. Look at this crap on his website. I'm shocked he would put this garbage on his site.

http://www.mikesigel.com/opportunity.html

You have to be a moron to fall for that shit, and you have to be a predator to try to sell it. IMO of course.

I really don't see it that way at all. It's a hard sell sure, but what he said in the beginning has been true countless times over. I assume this is in regards to his new pool league that he was starting? If that's the case there is great potential to make a lot of money with it - look at how well a lot of APA operators do. Yes it's a risk because it's basically a start up but the flip side is if so thing ends up being successful getting in on the ground floor is definitely where you want to be,

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
I really don't see it that way at all. It's a hard sell sure, but what he said in the beginning has been true countless times over. I assume this is in regards to his new pool league that he was starting? If that's the case there is great potential to make a lot of money with it - look at how well a lot of APA operators do. Yes it's a risk because it's basically a start up but the flip side is if so thing ends up being successful getting in on the ground floor is definitely where you want to be,

The GPPA totally flopped and people who were promised prize money didn't get paid.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I assume this is in regards to his new pool league that he was starting? ...
I think he means in regard to this, direct from the link above:

How would your life be different if you had tens of thousands of dollars in additional income every single year without having to work a single day for it? What about hundreds of thousands or MILLIONS of dollars more? Mike Sigel's new Investment opportunity can turn a small investment into HUGE PROFITS that keep coming in year, after year, after year!

Mike's new company has a solid business model that will capitalize on a proven industry, with UNLIMITED GLOBAL GROWTH POTENTIAL!​

If that's about the failed league, then maybe he just needs to update his site.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he means in regard to this, direct from the link above:

How would your life be different if you had tens of thousands of dollars in additional income every single year without having to work a single day for it? What about hundreds of thousands or MILLIONS of dollars more? Mike Sigel's new Investment opportunity can turn a small investment into HUGE PROFITS that keep coming in year, after year, after year!

Mike's new company has a solid business model that will capitalize on a proven industry, with UNLIMITED GLOBAL GROWTH POTENTIAL!​

If that's about the failed league, then maybe he just needs to update his site.

Its garbage. Anyone who puts crap like that on their site is a scammer. I don't care if Efren says he's the toughest opponent he ever played, he's still a scammer.