We All Lost Dear Friend - Bob Byrne

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
On Facebook this morning, there was a post with a terrific picture of Bob and his wife saying simply "Dearest friend Robert Byrne 1930 - 2016. One of a kind."

Bob will be missed by many, especially those in the billiard industry and players.

RIP my friend!

Dave

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, that is sad news. His books are some of the greatest stores of pool/billiard information ever. Condolences to his wife and family.

Dagwoodz

the dude abides...
Silver Member
This is horrible news. Bob was a phenomenal proponent of the game and will be sorely missed by the billiards community. Prayers go out to his family.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Sad to hear. He was a great friend and contributor to the world of pool and billiards.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
R.I.P. Robert
condolences to his wife and family
teacher to many in the billiard world via his writings/books etc

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The billiard world was blessed to have Robert Byrne for a friend.
His wisdom will be around as long as people hit balls with cues.
My condolences to his wife, family, and friends.

Rest in peace, Mr Byrne

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very sorry for his immediate family and his extensive pool family. That makes the third wonderful author we have lost recently. Freddy B. & George Fels being the others. The old school is thinning out but fortunately we have their collective writings to learn from and remember each of them by! RIP.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP Robert Byrne.. I have really enjoyed knowing him & I appreciated the knowledge gained from reading his books & watching the videos. Truly a great man...

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
First pool book I ever read was Advanced Technique in Pool and Billiards. Helped me learn the game tremendously coming from a Snooker background. Bob made a huge impact on the industry and will be missed. RIP Robert Byrne.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I just had my nose in his "350 Moves" last evening. A true icon of the billiard industry. Many of us owe him a debt of gratitude for raising our games. My condolences to his family and may you rest in peace Mr. Byrne.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP Mr. Byrne. His 'Standard Book of Pool & Billiards' was required reading for the collegiate billiards classes I taught from 1987-95. He was an amazing author, and a pretty good player too...pool and billiards!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

MisterBanker

Appalachain American
Silver Member
His book about Danny McGoorty is one of my all-time favorite books, not just the ones about pool either.

obe1

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Robert

R.I.P SIR.... My condolences to his wife, family, and friends.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big and horrible news. He was a giant in our world and we are lucky to have his passion to share.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robert Byrne is a Billiard Icon. Mr. Byrne the player, writer, and commentator, interpreted and gave meaning to the culture of our game. Robert Byrne gave us and left us with his wisdom.

I visited Mr. Byrne at his home in Dubuque where he graciously gave me a tour off his home town. We retired to dinner followed by multiple 25 point games of three-cushion billiards at his favorite local club.

Robert Byrne will continue to communicate his thoughts through his writings to the billiard world for generations to come. Mr. Byrne is still with us.

Attachments

• Byrne resized.jpg
    Byrne resized.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 679

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just letting you all know that it is confirmed, Bob passed as suspected. <sigh>

Nice post from everyone, I will provide his wife Cindy the link to view when she can.

Dave

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you Robert for sharing your passion of the game with so many.

I remember being 12 years old and my dad getting a copy of his Standard Book when we got our 9 foot pool table. I memorized every page. I set up the shots and learned them one at a time. I did the position game daily. I played around with throw. I studied the section on 'what's the shot' in straight pool. Again and again and again. I even read and reread the billiard section trying to understand the game, even though I had never seen a billiard table.

Just the other day I was playing straight pool with a friend and found a very creative shot out of the stack that looked unmakeable because the first ball looked like it was throwing the combination the wrong way. But there was a slight gap and it was clear it would carom off another ball just before changing the angle of approach and throwing it the right way. So even though from a bird's eye view it looked off, I thought I could feel it in. Along with some helping english. It went right in. Every time I shoot a shot like that I think of Bob.

When I finally met him at a billiard tournament a few years ago I couldn't find words to tell him how strongly I valued and appreciated what he did. I still don't have those words. Thanks Bob.

Last edited:

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow this is sad news... His writings on billiards were most informative and impactful. RIP Mr. Byrne.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about Bob. I have all his books and he had a great influence on my interest in the game.
My condolences to his family. He will be missed.