A few Instructors from Asia and Europe

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I believe it's time to get a few coaches/instructors over here in the U.S. from Asia and Europe to teach the younger players new basics. The old "whatever feels comfortable" isn't going to get it anymore. I never thought I'd be saying that, but we need to copy the snooker type stance to start with. Johnnyt

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
If I remember correctly, that's what they did in Canada with Tennis. They brought over some top coaches to help develop younger players. There is a little more to it than that, but the result was Milos Raonic (ranked number 3) along with some other players coming up I think.

I think they also developed academies and facilitated the opportunity for practising consistently against top competition. It can be tough in countries when top players are spread across a large area.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
None of this matters unless the work ethic is there. On average, the European pros have worked harder to hone their skills than the Americans.

Americans are willing to show up to every Mosconi with the same weaknesses year after year. That's not the kind of commitment to their craft that will get them anywhere, and it's the reason that gap between Ameircan pro pool and international pool continues to grow.

Barring the introduction of very strict taskmasters to whom out players will willingly submit, bringing in top instructors from overseas might not be enough.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well said!

None of this matters unless the work ethic is there. On average, the European pros have worked harder to hone their skills than the Americans.

Americans are willing to show up to every Mosconi with the same weaknesses year after year. That's not the kind of commitment to their craft that will get them anywhere, and it's the reason that gap between Ameircan pro pool and international pool continues to grow.

Barring the introduction of very strict taskmasters to whom out players will willingly submit, bringing in top instructors from overseas might not be enough.

As usual your prospective is well thought out and well stated.

What about another angle? Rodney Morris to coach with Mark Wilson in his ear for strategizing, lets say the co-coach. I think Rod would do great because the young player would respect the fact that he can not only talk the game, but he can play the game. He can also analyze the previous failures using his own play, which gives even more prospective and gains the respect of everyone. Everyone likes the teacher that teaches from his own personal failure, rather than pointing the weakness of others.

Pair Bergman and Josh, same age.., Pair Sky and Thorpe, same age.., SVB will enjoy the energy from the group and the reverence because they all want to play like him and his game will show up. Now we have a team.

I know all these guys, Marl Wilson I hope your listening!!

I mean he could take the tape of his play and discuss what the

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As usual your prospective is well thought out and well stated.

What about another angle? Rodney Morris to coach with Mark Wilson in his ear for strategizing, lets say the co-coach. I think Rod would do great because the young player would respect the fact that he can not only talk the game, but he can play the game. He can also analyze the previous failures using his own play, which gives even more prospective and gains the respect of everyone. Everyone likes the teacher that teaches from his own personal failure, rather than pointing the weakness of others.

Pair Bergman and Josh, same age.., Pair Sky and Thorpe, same age.., SVB will enjoy the energy from the group and the reverence because they all want to play like him and his game will show up. Now we have a team.

I know all these guys, Marl Wilson I hope your listening!!

I mean he could take the tape of his play and discuss what the

Interesting ideas. I'll have to think about it.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Send the Americans to play in Ko Pin Yi's family pool hall for 6 months.

You aren't going to convince me pool is hereditary, so they must have something going on over there to have so many world-class brother players.

The Americans should be given "actual" pool school, not just "monkey see, monkey do" training.

Pool is a talent, but there is actually a technical aspect to it, too.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member

That's why I said the younger players. I know the older players won't listen to anyone. Hell, I'm old and haven't listened to anyone about my pool game since I was 14 years old. Johnnyt

Rubikong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You aren't going to convince me pool is hereditary, so they must have something going on over there to have so many world-class brother players.

The Americans should be given "actual" pool school, not just "monkey see, monkey do" training.

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member

Just curious - I'm not being a jerk - are you familiar with Mark Wilson's program at Lindenwood University? If not, it is exactly what you are describing. I've been there. The only thing more remarkable than the program is the students he has in it. Absolutely incredible and more colleges are following his lead.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious - I'm not being a jerk - are you familiar with Mark Wilson's program at Lindenwood University? If not, it is exactly what you are describing. I've been there. The only thing more remarkable than the program is the students he has in it. Absolutely incredible and more colleges are following his lead.

I'm familiar with the University, but I'm not so sure the Mosconi team are students and graduates of it. Just like honorary degrees. Just because you got a gown, doesn't mean you completed all the curriculum.

That's why I said the younger players. I know the older players won't listen to anyone. Hell, I'm old and haven't listened to anyone about my pool game since I was 14 years old. Johnnyt

Lol.

There is delusion and denial about the state of the American game.i don't know if you have many young players in the US but if you do you've got to steer them away from emulating your current and past 'greats'.

Make nic barrow or other top snooker coaches offers they can't refuse.

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
During the old days Americans thought they were the best pool players on the planet until they saw Parica and Reyes play, then they realized they were just ball bangers. Although there were a lot of changes happened after that.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe it's time to get a few coaches/instructors over here in the U.S. from Asia and Europe to teach the younger players new basics. The old "whatever feels comfortable" isn't going to get it anymore. I never thought I'd be saying that, but we need to copy the snooker type stance to start with. Johnnyt

To understand and solve a problem, one must first admit there is a problem...
Good for you JT!
:thumbup:

PS:
I will be travelling to Canada next year to do some events / coaching. Perhaps the USA could be interested also?
Coming soon - http://wpbsacoach.com

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Instructors

Playing pool well is a matter of moving the cue stick well.

Look at the sticks of Hohmann, Alcalde, and Chinakov. All very level and straight with smooth back swings and deliveries. Europe's Mosconi Cup Team all had great swings.

Look at how the Chinese swing. Again level and straight. World class players.

Now look at the Americans, loopy swings with jerky pull backs, etc. Not as fundamentally sound as the Asians and the Europeans. This lack of fundamental soundness can cause errors to pop up in striking the cue ball.

Pool is a percentage game and the players with the better fundamentals hit the cue ball better and win more over the long haul. The Mosconi Cup is no exception.

Mark Wilson is doing a great job bringing along young players. Let's give him a chance and some time to develop our younger players. There are also some great American Instructors, Jerry Briesath, Scott Lee or Randy G for example that can teach these fundamentals as well. Why do we have to go overseas when we have some great ones in our own back yard?

Keep up the great work Mark Wilson! I appreciate all you are doing for pool in the US.

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member

Look at the sticks of Hohmann, Alcalde, and Chinakov. All very level and straight with smooth back swings and deliveries. Europe's Mosconi Cup Team all had great swings.

Now look at the Americans, loopy swings with jerky pull backs, etc. Not as fundamentally sound as the Asians and the Europeans. This lack of fundamental soundness can cause errors to pop up in striking the cue ball.

Pool is a percentage game and the players with the better fundamentals hit the cue ball better and win more over the long haul. The Mosconi Cup is no exception.

Mark Wilson is doing a great job bringing along young players. Let's give him a chance and some time to develop our younger players. There are also some great American Instructors, Jerry Briesath, Scott Lee or Randy G for example that can teach these fundamentals as well. Why do we have to go overseas when we have some great ones in our own back yard?

Keep up the great work Mark Wilson! I appreciate all you are doing for pool in the US.

Amen. Nice post, Mark!

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

Johnny

The "younger" players are all being schooled properly. Many great youth organizations are working every day with our future professionals.

NOTE: Not all players can take a snooker stance! The stance is secondary only to the stroke. 39 million pool players=39 million stances.

Your friend
randyg

I don't follow you. You want coaching to be more like the euros/Asians, but want to give more time to American coaches, who've been doing what they do for years? Erm...

Ps, anyone seen the American coaches recently? Seem to have disappeared lately - can't think why!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't follow you. You want coaching to be more like the euros/Asians, but want to give more time to American coaches, who've been doing what they do for years? Erm...

Ps, anyone seen the American coaches recently? Seem to have disappeared lately - can't think why!

I think most Americans stroke the way they do because of a lack of coaching.