2015 Canadian Open championships

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Info sent via CBSA

'Dear CBSA Provincial Associations & Supporters;

The Championships will run from March 30 - April 4 at the Delta Meadowvale, Mississauga, ON, in conjunction with the CCS Nationals.

TABLE SPONSOR
Diamond Billiards Product will be supplying the pool tables for the CBSA Nationals.

DATES
The dates for each of the divisions are as follows:

Monday March 30 - Tuesday March 31 - Open 8-Ball
Wednesday April 1 - Thursday April 2 - 10-Ball (Open & Women's)
Friday April 3 - Saturday April 4 - 9-Ball (Open & Women's)

ADDED FUNDS
There will be a minimum of $3,500 added to the Championships.

HOST HOTEL
The host hotel is the Delta Meadowvale. The Tournament Rate is $129 double occupancy. When reserving, please mention the CBSA/CCS and ask for Group Code – GCC0315. It’s best to book early as, after Mon Mar 2nd, 2015, all rooms will be released for general sale.
Toll free number: 1 (800) 422-8238 Website address: www.deltameadowvale.com.

RULE CHANGES
The break rules used at the World 9-Ball Championships will be implemented by CBSA this year:

At least three (3) object balls must either be pocketed or pass the head string
as a result of a break in order for it to be legal.
Any combination of the above (i.e. 1 object ball pocketed and 2 object balls passing the head string, or 2 object balls
pocketed and 1 object ball passing the head string) is also legal.
Regardless of whether any balls are pocketed if a player fails to earn the required rules, it will be considered an illegal break (this is not the same as a foul break as defined in the WPA Rules)
After an illegal break;
1) Opponent has the option either to accept the table as it is, or hand it back to the player that performed the break.
2) In case the opponent accepts the table as it is, the player will not be allowed to
perform a push-out.
3) If the table is handed back to the player that performed the break, the player is allowed to perform a push-out.
4) If 9-ball is pocketed in a legal break, the player wins the game. If in case of an illegal break, 9-ball is re-spotted before play is continued, then opponent has an option.

SANCTION FEES
The sanction fee for each division is:
Open 8-Ball: Open Ranked $325; Amateur Ranked $175
Open / Women 9-Ball: Open Ranked $325; Amateur Ranked $175
Open / Women 10-Ball: Open Ranked $225; Amateur Ranked $175
This will be the first year for the tiered sanction fees.
A Provincial affiliation fee of $25 per spot will also have to be paid for each spot that your Province fills.

SPOTS ALLOCATIONS
Please find attached the spot allocations for this event. Additional spots can be granted if required.
Due to the many other disciplines that Provinces hold qualifiers for, the Open 10-Ball Championships will again be a direct entry event, Sanction fees for any person that is not a member in good standing of their respective Provincial Assoc. will not be accepted.

Additional information will be placed on the CBSA website www.cbsa.ca in February.

Please let me know if any of you have any questions.
Regards,

'

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great news that diamond is a sponsor

I talked to Steve this week and the whole tournament will be at the delta, different from last year where the final rounds only were there.

Also heard rumblings of the tables being for sale after the event. Anyone who's heard diamonds pricing after events like the US Open may be interested in this.

Gt2-To

Registered
I have played amateur league stuff for 15yrs, would like to give it a shot, gets some humbling experience,
Can I play in this? and if so how do I register?

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool Championships Information
Sanction Fees:
Open Pool:
Open Ranked Players
Open 8-Ball - $325
Open / Women’s 9-Ball - $325
Open / Women’s 10-Ball - $225
Amateur Ranked Players
All disciplines - $175
Amateur / Junior Pool:
Amateur Pool - $175
Junior 9-Ball - $100
A $25 Provincial fee is also payable for each Open / Amateur entry. 10% of each sanction fee goes to CBSA as an administration fee. The other 90%, along with any added funds, goes into the prize pool. A championship ring is part of the prize package for Men’s Amateur 8 and 9-Ball.
Junior Age Requirement: Must be 18 on December 31 of the year the Championship is played.
Player Classifications: CBSA player rankings are “Open” and “Amateur”. Any person that is not listed as an open player can participate in the Amateur Championships, and also pay a reduced sanction fee for the Open Championships. Each Province does have a different criteria in ranking their players. CBSA goes by the following criteria for each of the following Provinces to determine Open ranked players:
British Columbia / Alberta / Saskatchewan / Manitoba – Know ability.
Ontario – “8” handi-caps and higher on their Provincial Handi-Cap Tour
Quebec – Pros and Semi-Pros
Nova Scotia / New Brunswick – “A” ranked players on their Provincial Tours
International Play: The winner and runner-up of each Open Pool discipline are the first two invites to the respective WPA World Pool Championship. Part of the prize pool is expense funds for the winner of each discipline. Other International Pool invites are based on a ranking system of the combined events.

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No lights over the tables? Seriously, wtf?

This surprises you? Really?!?

The Canadians has been a joke for years, why change that now? In a country with almost 36 million people it's pretty sad that our national championship manages to attract a grand total of 24 entries.

The braintrust (and I use that term VERY loosely) at the CBSA seem to find new and creative ways every year to make this tournament a bigger mess. The good news is that at some point in the near future we will be able to have it in someone's basement because there will only be 3 or 4 players who actually show up.

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This surprises you? Really?!?

The Canadians has been a joke for years, why change that now? In a country with almost 36 million people it's pretty sad that our national championship manages to attract a grand total of 24 entries.

The braintrust (and I use that term VERY loosely) at the CBSA seem to find new and creative ways every year to make this tournament a bigger mess. The good news is that at some point in the near future we will be able to have it in someone's basement because there will only be 3 or 4 players who actually show up.

Are you on site? Do you know what happened with the lights?

I await your reply.

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you on site? Do you know what happened with the lights?

I await your reply.

No, I'm not onsite but I have watched a few of the highlight videos and noticed the lack of table lights. The track record of the CBSA with respect to venues, equipment, air conditioning and a seemingly endless number of technical difficulties is not overly good. I'm sure there is an excuse of some sort that will be offered up to explain the lack of light but the board of the CBSA need to take a clear look in the mirror and realize that they are the problem and not the solution.

It's a pretty sad statement when the most populated city in Canada can't even get more than 2 dozen players to show up for a so-called National Championship, let alone the fact that almost nobody shows up from provinces other than Ontario and Quebec.

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I'm not onsite but I have watched a few of the highlight videos and noticed the lack of table lights. The track record of the CBSA with respect to venues, equipment, air conditioning and a seemingly endless number of technical difficulties is not overly good. I'm sure there is an excuse of some sort that will be offered up to explain the lack of light but the board of the CBSA need to take a clear look in the mirror and realize that they are the problem and not the solution.

It's a pretty sad statement when the most populated city in Canada can't even get more than 2 dozen players to show up for a so-called National Championship, let alone the fact that almost nobody shows up from provinces other than Ontario and Quebec.

Alright. Let's go one at a time.

The tables have NO issues what so ever in terms of lack of lighting.

As for the venue at shooters in Toronto, the event was held in the middle of the summer and we had a big heat wave that just didn't seem to leave us. Shooters stepped up when the venue out west backed out last minute. I don't believe there were any other bids the past two years.

What other technical difficulties are you talking about? Live stream?

So is it CBSA fault for lack of entries? Why aren't you playing? Are any players from your area here?

I played a gentleman from SK. A few guys from NB and NS are there. I know there are players playing ccs (worst pay out of any tournaments) from Alberta and yet no west coast players. Again, is this CBSA fault?

Less finger pointing, more looking in the mirror might be the actual solution.