Help! Befuddled

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
when i have the speed of the table down and its level i roll the cue up to the ball and try to make my opponent kick at it which he/she will miss 99% of the time, otherwise i do what you do

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a recent tournament match where Earl was on the stream commentating a shot similar to this came up. I think it was Jayson Shaw who had to shoot it and Earl himself said he doesn't always know what to do in this position. He stated he doesn't always know if he should play offense or defense and that even the pro's get stumped by shots of this type. So we shouldn't feel bad if the pros themselves, and Earl especially, don't always know what to do here. The match was for sure uploaded to youtube if no one believes me.

Although, if I'm in this situation it's better to try and hit the low percentage bank and win, than hit that low percentage safety and sell out. Plus if you're going down, go down swinging.

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have enough room to get draw on the cb, another option is to hit the ob full in the face with draw. The ob will double kiss the cb and stay there while sending the cb back up table.

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shoot very firm, center right, half ball hit on right side of OB.
Cue ball goes goes three rails and dies off the third rail coming to rest near where it is now, while the object ball goes long rail, short rail towards the top side pocket. The object ball will either drop in the side, or continue up table towards the middle of the short rail.
This shot lets you put the cue ball on the end rail, with a small chance to make the object ball, and a high probability of leaving a long difficult shot. The trick is to bank the object ball to hit the long rail past the side pocket with enough speed to get the cue ball back to the end rail and the rest is automatic.

With some practice you can make both the cue ball and object ball return to their original positions...
Ty victor. This is exactly the shot I'm looking for. This is the shot I'm going to try

to work on. I like the thin the OB shot as well and used to be able to hit it with

younger eyes. Nowadays I have a lot of trouble hitting this thin accurately from

this distance so I steer away from those shots. The double hit off the rail is

also a shot I don't consider as much as I should. Ty for all the feedback. I have

a lot of options to practice now. :thumbup:

And for what it's worth I was in a money match last night and in 2 sets this shot came up for me at least 6x in the matches. :scratchhead::banghead:

Last edited:

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
There is another option here..........

It's rare , and I certainly have not mastered it but here goes.

Hit the OB center ball with a medium to medium hard hit. You are looking for the dbl kiss back in to the foot rail and when they come back they do so at angle towards the 2nd diamond on either side of the long rails.

I have done it by accident more than by practice, but I seen others do it with good result.

I usually just go for the banked corner and if you miss,... you sell-out ! :(

(I really came in just to see your avatar) :grin::wink::thumbup:

Last edited:

bob c

In the Eye of the Storm
Silver Member
Shoot very firm, center right, half ball hit on right side of OB.
Cue ball goes goes three rails and dies off the third rail coming to rest near where it is now, while the object ball goes long rail, short rail towards the top side pocket. The object ball will either drop in the side, or continue up table towards the middle of the short rail.
This shot lets you put the cue ball on the end rail, with a small chance to make the object ball, and a high probability of leaving a long difficult shot. The trick is to bank the object ball to hit the long rail past the side pocket with enough speed to get the cue ball back to the end rail and the rest is automatic.

With some practice you can make both the cue ball and object ball return to their original positions...

Somewhere I have an old Accu-Stats tape of Kim Davenport attempting this shot. As I recall, it came up twice and he executed it perfectly once. I worked on it for awhile but it is a tough shot to get full-table accuracy on the hit and at the same time, perfect 4-rail speed.

bob c

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Somewhere I have an old Accu-Stats tape of Kim Davenport attempting this shot. As I recall, it came up twice and he executed it perfectly once. I worked on it for awhile but it is a tough shot to get full-table accuracy on the hit and at the same time, perfect 4-rail speed.

bob c

You're right, it's not an easy shot, especially when the cue ball is on or near the end rail. With practice, though, it's possible to become pretty consistent at it, but it may be just as useful to practice long banks instead.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i do the one railer like most of the previous posters, one difference....i force follow cue ball so it comes to back rail where target pocket is.....if i miss bank, and leave cue on that back rail...as long as 9 didnt jar/hang, or sit up in front of a side....my opponent is probably going to have a shot they really dont like.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
In a recent tournament match where Earl was on the stream commentating a shot similar to this came up. I think it was Jayson Shaw who had to shoot it and Earl himself said he doesn't always know what to do in this position. He stated he doesn't always know if he should play offense or defense and that even the pro's get stumped by shots of this type. So we shouldn't feel bad if the pros themselves, and Earl especially, don't always know what to do here. The match was for sure uploaded to youtube if no one believes me.

Although, if I'm in this situation it's better to try and hit the low percentage bank and win, than hit that low percentage safety and sell out. Plus if you're going down, go down swinging.

I think Earl's comment on this shot was "Yeah, I always sell out on this shot."

Earl is remarkably humble when doing commentary; not at all how you'd imagine him to be.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This shot was set up years ago for 5 top players. They all tried it. At the end Buddy Hall said: Good Luck, you will need it!
I like the Eric shot, but if you hit it too good , you will leave an easy shot in the corner.
I like 4 railing the OB toward the left hand corner pocket and move whitey 3-4 rails ( Bottom rail, right side rail, left side rail above the side pocket, and try to freeze CB to the top rail.
AS Buddy said, good luck!