Predator Revo Shaft

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can see from the marks on the shaft, that this shaft has slipped when being held by a collet.
I doubt this is a new shaft.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a 12.9 Revo and it came in slightly under 12.7. Has anyone else had this problem?

Sounds strange, as these shafts aren`t turned down like regular shaft, but rather being molded. So there really is no way you can get a 12.7mm shaft, unless you have gotten some sort of prototype. Right now Predator only makes the Revo in 12.9mm and 12.4mm
Are you sure your calipers are correct?

PoppaSaun

Banned
Sounds strange, as these shafts aren`t turned down like regular shaft, but rather being molded.

This is incorrect. They use something shaped like the foam core as a mold and lay fiber (likely pre-impregnated with epoxy) over it in different directions and layers. The final product may or may not be baked in a pressurized oven upon completion. After they put some kind of finish layer on it and likely do spin it to smooth the final coating.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is incorrect. They use something shaped like the foam core as a mold and lay fiber (likely pre-impregnated with epoxy) over it in different directions and layers. The final product may or may not be baked in a pressurized oven upon completion. After they put some kind of finish layer on it and likely do spin it to smooth the final coating.

Yes so they are molded. It`s alternate layers of graphite sheets and epoxy over a foam core, then baked in an autoclave under vacuum to set the epoxy.
The might spin the shafts afterwards to add some sort of coating, but the shafts aren`t turned down like a maple shaft. So the mold spits out the same shaft over and over, and a 0.3mm shrinkage seems highly unlikely.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Revos I have....
12.9...measures 12.9 about 1" from top of tip and increases above 13.mm when moving away from tip toward end of shaft.

12.4 ....measures 12.4 about 1" from tip and increases above 13.mm when moving away from tip.

The Revo's are advertised as....REVO Low-rise taper with 8% rise over the first 14 inches

Last edited:

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a 12.9 Revo and it came in slightly under 12.7. Has anyone else had this problem?

That is definitely strange as I've had 2 Revos before they released the shafts as a stand alone purchase and both measured 12.9 at the tip and then it was gradually thicker as I moved towards the middle section of the shaft.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Makes no sense.

Are you 100% sure your caliber was set on zero before you measured?

Mine is exactly 12.9. Love that thing by the way.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Revos I have....
12.9...measures 12.9 about 1" from top of tip and increases above 13.mm when moving away from tip toward end of shaft.

12.4 ....measures 12.4 about 1" from tip and increases above 13.mm when moving away from tip.

The Revo's are advertised as....REVO Low-rise taper with 8% rise over the first 14 inches

The 12.9 is 5% rise over the first 14 inches.
The 12.4 is 8% rise over the first 14 inches.

Yes, lol of course the shafts are going to go over 13 mm as you move away from the tip......lol
Every shaft does that.
Never seen one that had a joint that was under 13mm for example.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, lol of course the shafts are going to go over 13 mm as you move away from the tip......lol
Every shaft does that.
Never seen one that had a joint that was under 13mm for example.
OK..so I'm a knucklehead....forgot the word rapidly INCREASES. Definitely not a pro taper. The measurement seems to be accurate at the tip.

Last edited:

OnePercent

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, this is the replacement shaft:

1.png2.png3.png

I notice there is a light mark underneath the number '0'. Which looks more apparent at certain angles. Does this look right?

Last edited:

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy crap I'm glad I'm not that anal... I can barely see it. Take a pill and go play some pool lol