Old cue from a championship?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Try posting in the main forum or cue gallery for more attention.

Cool cue. :thumbup:
Thanks, I'll try that. One correspondent told him it was probably jointed after the fact and badly.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
If it had been owned (and played) by DeOro, that would be one thing. As it is, I think the research will indicate it's a nice collectible, historical cue, but not highly valuable. I've not seen too many of these really fought over. Nice looking cue though.

All the best,
WW

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I'll try that. One correspondent told him it was probably jointed after the fact and badly.

Do you know if any info has been found relevant to the championship it was awarded for? ( who else played etc. Occasionally the cue maker/company is mentioned in the press coverage)

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Albert G Powers won the World Continuous Pool Championship from De Oro in May 1890.
He is not one of the everyday household names of pool , but he must have played top speed, in 1888 he challenged anyone to a match for $500.00 except Albert Frey, who at that time was almost unbeatable.
It would be great to track down the provenance on this cue.
Unfortunately, it is probably not going to happen.
This is the extent of my info other than I wonder if Albert Powers was related to Frank Powers , another great player?

Last edited: