What is the one that got away for you?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That still haunts you in the back of your head every so often. I guess the regret thread LOL

Cue you wanted but did not buy? Set you wanted to play but did not because of time, no money, no agreement? Sweat match you missed because your wife called you home LOL?

Curious to hear some stories, I almost had one, but after about a week of going back and forth with my wallet and common sense, both lost out and I bought a new cue after all LOL :):thumbup2: I knew if I did not, I would keep thinking I should have and the money spent was the price of paying for not having regrets. I actually made a sort of bet with myself, I used the cue in a tournament and told myself, if I did well with it, I would get it. Well, I ran a 3 pack during one of the sets and ended up winning the tournament. After that the decision to spend the money came easier.

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member
That still haunts you in the back of your head every so often. I guess the regret thread LOL

Cue you wanted but did not buy? Set you wanted to play but did not because of time, no money, no agreement? Sweat match you missed because your wife called you home LOL?

Curious to hear some stories, I almost had one, but after about a week of going back and forth with my wallet and common sense, both lost out and I bought a new cue after all LOL :):thumbup2: I knew if I did not, I would keep thinking I should have and the money spent was the price of paying for not having regrets. I actually made a sort of bet with myself, I used the cue in a tournament and told myself, if I did well with it, I would get it. Well, I ran a 3 pack during one of the sets and ended up winning the tournament. After that the decision to spend the money came easier.

I wish I started playing earlier! Maybe if I started when I was 17 instead of 27 I'd be an A player:(

I've come to realize that my best game is behind me now. Oh well:(

Eli

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
My Judd mini-collection of 5 cues. Should have never sold them.
Got a chance to buy a brand new EP with ivory joint and ferrules for $795 back in '98. Two shafts and leather wrap even.

Found a Centennial table once. Had to let a friend buy ( $750 ) b/c I had no room then.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish I never sold my first Richard Black ebony 4-point. I had him make it for me in 1978 and I sold it in 1981 to a young guy who kept bugging me to sell it to him. I had Richard make me another cue and, when I got it, I sold the first one to the guy before I got a chance to really play the second cue.

The second one didn't play anywhere near as good as the first cue and I sold it a few years later.

I should have had Richard make me a dozen at the time. I paid $175 for the 4-point back then.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
back in the 80's I'm playing a guy 9 ball race to 5.
i break and run 4 racks.i break the 5th rack and run to the 9. i get bad on the 9 and play a safe.he banks it in.

i lost the set 5 to 4. :angry:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 1979 I bought a Palmer. I don't know the model number but it had the plastic window with i think Custom by Palmer on the foil. Titlist forearm.
I bought it with a nice case for $65.
I sold it 6 months later to a kid in the pool room for $65.
I bought a Schon for $525.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish I never bought my dale perry at premium price to have it worth nothing a few short years later!

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
2 things

1. I wish I would have got instruction and learned to practice the right way when I started playing back in the mid 90s when I was 11 or 12.

2. I wish I wouldn't have stopped playing pool to exclusively play golf for 4 years.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue #1. Merry Widow JossWest I had that had refinished by Bill Stroud along with 2 shafts. This cue really played nice.
Cue #2. Ebony forearm Franklin Southwest. I had it refinished with 2 new shafts with ivory ferules. I sold it to buy my wife's engagement ring. In retrospect I would not have had it refinished and only had a new wrap put on because someone already replaced it and did a shitty job. I also would have had 2 shafts built with micarta ferules. it would still be my player.

As far as my playing career goes I'd do things a little differently. For starters I got a late start becoming a student of the game. As I was becoming better and enough that the better players were taking notice I injured my grip hand. This threw my game into a tail spin and I lost interest. I also met my wife about that time and all but quit. I would have never quit all those years and I would have bought a Gold Crown for practice at home.

The good thing is I started playing again last fall and I can't get enough. The better thing is I just bought a house with a space for a 9' foot table unobstructed. I see a Gold Crown with extended rails done right and covered in Simonis in the near future. I also found my new player. It's a Kent Davis. I really like the way this thing plays. Strange how things happen. I just wish I never stopped. I love this game.

Last edited:

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
I didn't buy the Bill Stroud top-of-the-line ebony and ivory box cue for $400.00 in the late '70's. From
Bill Stroud himself. List price was about $550.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still get nightmares every now and then thinking of what if.

I had ready cash for a 25th Anniversary Richard Harris wrapless bluegrass plain jane with my all-time favourite combination of woods.

The nicest most impeccable i've ever seen Birdseye Maple handle that looks like quilted or curly maple w birdseye swirl along with jet black gaboon ebony forearm n buttsleeve.
Red box stitch rings and the Bluegrass horse nugget in gold inlayed in the buttsleeve.

Dang !
Still look at pictures of it while kicking myself from time to time :((

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the opportunity to buy a new Gus Szamboti cue in 1986. Ebony points, black-white-black-white veneers, SS joint, linen wrap, arrowhead inlays in the points and diamonds in the butt, $1250. I was buying a house at the time and could not afford the cue. Four years later, when I could afford a new cue, I heard that particular cue was available. Unfortunately, it was $5K.

The only other cue I regret not acquiring is this one. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=187240 I tried my best to buy it from a previous owner, but he sold it to someone else without giving me the chance. I would have paid more than he got for it. I am still sick over it. Great looking, great player.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Back in the late 70's early 80's? sold my first Ginacue back to the guy who sold it to me (admittedly in a snit) for like $200.

Eight points, three shafts, original alligator Gina case.

Lou Figueroa
ah youth