8-ball, Scratch on Break: Did WPA Change?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
For the past few years, we've discussed the change for CSI/BCAPL that scratching on the break is now full-table ball in hand for the incoming player. The problem is that this was for the BCAPL Pool League, and not for the BCA and WPA (World Standardized Rules).

Up until the last time I looked, the rule under WSR was explicit: the incoming player had ball in hand in the kitchen. We've discussed the difference here many time.

Lo and behold, after a Book of Faces post on the scratch on the break league odd ruling (the BCAPL-sanctioned Leage ruled it to be in the kitchen instead of CSI rules), I checked the current WSR for 8-ball at:

http://wpapool.com/rules-of-play/#eight-ball

I no longer see the explicit wording on scratching on the break, and by inference, it reads like they have also switched to full-table, ball in hand after a scratch on the break.

If someone (Bob Jewett) can confirm or correct me, I'd appreciate it.

Confusingly,

Freddie <~~~ will take bih

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It looks to me like it is still BIH behind the head string under WSR.

A simple pocket scratch on the break would seem to be included in Rule 3.3 (h) -- "If the breaker fouls in any manner not listed above, ..."

The first option of accepting the balls in position would not apply, because the cue ball is in a pocket. So the second option would be used -- "taking cue ball in hand behind the head string."

Edit -- and that is reinforced by the fact that 3.3 (f) and (g) also contain options for taking BIH behind the head string.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It looks to me like it is still BIH behind the head string under WSR.

A simple pocket scratch on the break would seem to be included in Rule 3.3 (h) -- "If the breaker fouls in any manner not listed above, ..."

The first option of accepting the balls in position would not apply, because the cue ball is in a pocket. So the second option would be used -- "taking cue ball in hand behind the head string."

Edit -- and that is reinforced by the fact that 3.3 (f) and (g) also contain options for taking BIH behind the head string.

Thank you. I wonder if asked this before. The wording is too goofy for my taste and the order of where "scratch on the break" should be pretty high and explicit since it's such a common rule instead of buried like it is.

I'm sure someone will defend it. They'd be wrong, IMNSHO.

Look how nice and clear it was writte. Just a few years ago:

http://www.charlotteroom.com/client/8ball.pdf

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I'm glad they didn't change it. BIH anywhere after the break in 8 ball is way too big of a penalty imo. What confuses me is why tinker with the wording? Seems silly to go in and tinker when 99.9% of pool players will never play a match under these rules. If every tournament and league changed based on the WSR rules sure then it would be important, but that's not how it works for some reason in pool that's not how it goes. I guess it matters for the 1 world 8 ball championship they hold some years and not others.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I'm glad they didn't change it. BIH anywhere after the break in 8 ball is way too big of a penalty imo. What confuses me is why tinker with the wording? Seems silly to go in and tinker when 99.9% of pool players will never play a match under these rules. If every tournament and league changed based on the WSR rules sure then it would be important, but that's not how it works for some reason in pool that's not how it goes. I guess it matters for the 1 world 8 ball championship they hold some years and not others.

My guess is that they wanted to clarify the rules for those who play 8 ball in a bar. It will surely help clarify things for that group. :rotflmao1::rotflmao1: