Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Why does straight pool make me dog it?
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-13-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive View Post
You answered your own question. Without cost of some type (only playing yourself). Expecting to get better....speaks for itself.

NEVER in my life have I gotten better from practicing, practicing is a completely different animal and one I use to warm up or work on areas needing attention. Practice.....will never Compare to match play and will NEVER improve your play as much as competition that has MEANING.
Sorry to hear you type that Bill, we can agree to disagree. Sounds like you have the Old battle ax mentality.

Last edited by Danny Harriman; 09-13-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Old
  (#17)
Cameron Smith
is kind of hungry...
Cameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond repute

09-13-2017, 12:07 PM

I have to agree with Danny. Solo practice improves overall skills, match practice improves match play. There will always be exceptions, but if you do too much of one without the other, you won't reach your full potential. But you do have to practice in a way that is deliberate and targets weak areas of your game. Playing games against yourself will only help so much. One of the reasons the standard in snooker is so high is many of the players have very structured practice sessions, intermixed with sparring sessions amongst other top players.

I haven't played much one pocket, but when I have, I found there was often less pressure attempting really difficult pots since I could often play them as a two way shot. Also, close counts in one pocket as well. If you hang a ball in your pocket and leave them safe, then that works too. Not to say one pocket is easy by any stretch, just a different mentality.

In straight pool, if you miss, you usually sell out. Plus there is the pressure of the mounting run. That's enough to increase arm tension.

I think the answer is to tighten up fundamentals. If you are missing easy shots, I find alignment is one of the big culprits. If your alignment is solid, you can still hit the ball pretty poorly and still make it a short range.

I would kill for a nobel peace prize

Old
  (#18)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

14.1 - 09-13-2017, 12:11 PM

I will answer my own question to deanoc also, players who purchase a table for the house are much more apt to be students of the game (purists). Players who enjoy practicing at pool room/bar are genly motivated through their ego. When a top player enters the room they generally quit practicing and leave. There are exceptions to this but most of the time its a constant.
For anyone out there who truly is aspiring to run racks at 14.1 - you will need to have a table at your house, it will either become a place for laundry or you will end up becoming proficient. Good note to remember is " once a player builds strong foundation they use creative visualization - visualizing during practice that they are in competition". More than likely Know one who has made a post on this thread stands to defeat me in a 500 hundred point set on a respectable table. Save the ego for the forum and be a student of 14.1 with table in your house. Including the ol' battle axers

Old
  (#19)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

09-13-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harriman View Post
Your post is ok but the battle word is wrong term, this may have been taught to you. Adventure is correct term, the word battle indicates friction and ego.
I really like your mental approach to playing straight pool, Danny. Of course I'm nowhere near your level of play, but I always had the idea that if you obey the rules that the balls and table want you to obey, then they will reward you. It's like having a mutual understanding. Respect the table and it will return the favor. Maybe that's too Zen or whatever, but I've learned through reading and practice on my own that there are rules to obey. Obvious ones:

1. Have a plan before you start into a new rack,
2. Don't go into clusters without a safety ball,
3. Nudge and separate clusters, don't "break" them,
4. Don't fight the table. Take what it gives you and play safe rather than try to force things.

and so on.

I also really like your take on competition vs practice, and especially ego, which I hadn't really thought about so much. Straight pool is about pocketing balls while competition is about competition. They are two different things.

Thanks for the posts!

Dan White

Old
  (#20)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member

Thumbs up 09-13-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
I really like your mental approach to playing straight pool, Danny. Of course I'm nowhere near your level of play, but I always had the idea that if you obey the rules that the balls and table want you to obey, then they will reward you. It's like having a mutual understanding. Respect the table and it will return the favor. Maybe that's too Zen or whatever, but I've learned through reading and practice on my own that there are rules to obey. Obvious ones:

1. Have a plan before you start into a new rack,
2. Don't go into clusters without a safety ball,
3. Nudge and separate clusters, don't "break" them,
4. Don't fight the table. Take what it gives you and play safe rather than try to force things.

and so on.

I also really like your take on competition vs practice, and especially ego, which I hadn't really thought about so much. Straight pool is about pocketing balls while competition is about competition. They are two different things.

Thanks for the posts!
No problem, I do have some passion for the game. I understand that there are indeed rules to obey, there are a few on this thread that seem to understand I am attempting be positive and not argue. I am a professional 14.1 player and Its comforting to me to read that my posts are not totally ignored. I'm not above learning myself - even from a player that is not a pro. Seperated instead of breaking is very good. I could separate' :-) bread with you, lou, and Cameron of this I'm certain.

Last edited by Danny Harriman; 09-17-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Old
  (#21)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

09-13-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
No problem, I do have some passion for the game. I understand that their are indeed rules to obey, there are a few on this thread that seem to understand I am attempting be positive and not argue. I am a professional 14.1 player and Its comforting to me to read that my posts are not totally ignored. I'm not above learning myself - even from a player that is not a pro. Seperated instead of breaking is very good. I could separate' :-) bread with you lou, and Cameron of this I'm certain.
You have an interesting writing style. You don't spell much for shit , but you are very keen on subtle differences in the meaning of words. I'm glad you agree with separating and not breaking clusters!

Dan White

Old
  (#22)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

09-13-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hear you type that Bill, we can agree to disagree. Sounds like you have the Old battle ax mentality.

Top Definition
battle axe

A fierce, unpleasant older woman with strong opinions.

Ms. Henry is a real battle axe!
Just ignore that old bird, she's a battle axe.

#***** #old maid #haughty #foul #shrewd #stick in the mud

Danny you better go back ta school.

You chose the wrong sex with your word choice.
At 6'6'' 210 I have an adams apple.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#23)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

09-13-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
I practice straight pool alone

i find that shots I make at one pocket are tough at straight pool
I miss easy shots and lose my confidence

the more i practice the worse I seem to get

it has not improved my one pocket playing
I love one pocket, and I have to say that practicing 14.1 helps my one hole game tremendously. Once you get to where you can frequently run 30 balls or more in straights, you'll find yourself running out 8, 9, or 10 balls quite often when your one-pocket opponent screws up and leaves you an open opportunity.

After studying Danny's 352 ball run dvd, I learned some things about my own 14.1 game. Years ago I felt like I hit more runs in the 50's and 60's, and occasionally into the 70's. But then my 14.1 sparring buddy moved out of state and I quit playing the game. He moved about 5 years ago, and not until this last year did I start getting back into the game. What I'm doing different now is trying too hard to play perfect patterns instead of loosening up and just shooting balls in a methodical order, taking care of groups without overanalyzing 4 or 5 ball patterns.

Anyway, my run stoppers are rattlers that I surely must take my eye off of every now and then. It bites to be on a good run and then hit a shot a touch too firm into a corner pocket facing and leave it hanging there in the pocket. The pockets are 4-3/8" with 147 facings....too tough to slack off on any shot, regardless of how easy it appears. I thought about loosening them up, making them easier, but I think I'll work on my focus instead.

Example: https://youtu.be/3bggwEO0jaI

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Last edited by BC21; 09-13-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Old
  (#24)
Straightpool_99
I'm done with this *****.
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

09-13-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive View Post
Top Definition
battle axe

A fierce, unpleasant older woman with strong opinions.

Ms. Henry is a real battle axe!
Just ignore that old bird, she's a battle axe.

#***** #old maid #haughty #foul #shrewd #stick in the mud

Danny you better go back ta school.

You chose the wrong sex with your word choice.
At 6'6'' 210 I have an adams apple.
Ah, but he didn't call you a battle axe, did he? He said you have the old battle axe mentality. That is different.

Old
  (#25)
Straightpool_99
I'm done with this *****.
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

09-13-2017, 06:45 PM

I think straight pool is great for all pool games, and I'd think especially one pocket, though I'm far from an expert at that game. It teaches you to read the stack, how to open clusters, how to play tight position, patterns..

I strongly disagree with the sentiment that practising by yourself won't improve your game. Practising by yourself is when you can really focus on your fundamentals, and above all experiment. How are you going to learn new shots without experimenting and trying them out in practise? You can't just watch a difficult shot in a match and then instantly know how to shoot it. If you can, you are the greatest pool talent of all time! Yes, you can learn from watching others, but it's much like math. Watching a guy solve math problems is well and good, but you need to solve some yourself before you are ready for the test.

Old
  (#26)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member

09-13-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
That's got to be the shortest video in the history of Youtube! lol Of course the shot you missed is difficult, being jacked up on the rail. I think these shots are made more difficult because we tend to hit them harder than necessary. We're hitting low so we are now hitting a draw shot so we think "shoot harder." Well that's my theory anyway.

Dan White

Old
  (#27)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member

09-13-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpool_99 View Post
Ah, but he didn't call you a battle axe, did he? He said you have the old battle axe mentality. That is different.
Plus, the number one definition I get is, "a large broad-bladed ax used in ancient warfare." This seems more along the lines of what Danny was talking about if you look at the context of the discussion. "Going to battle" trying to run balls instead of letting the happy little balls be your friends.

Dan White

Old
  (#28)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

09-13-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpool_99 View Post
I think straight pool is great for all pool games, and I'd think especially one pocket, though I'm far from an expert at that game. It teaches you to read the stack, how to open clusters, how to play tight position, patterns..

I strongly disagree with the sentiment that practising by yourself won't improve your game. Practising by yourself is when you can really focus on your fundamentals, and above all experiment. How are you going to learn new shots without experimenting and trying them out in practise? You can't just watch a difficult shot in a match and then instantly know how to shoot it. If you can, you are the greatest pool talent of all time! Yes, you can learn from watching others, but it's much like math. Watching a guy solve math problems is well and good, but you need to solve some yourself before you are ready for the test.
I agree. Good honest practice on your own is a must. So is watching and learning from other players, both above AND below your own skill level. I was giving snare drum lessons to a teenage boy a couple of years ago. Every week we'd have to spend the first 10 or 15 minutes of the lesson rehashing things he forgot from the week before. He simply never practiced on his own time. Eventually he decided he'd never be a great drummer and I never saw him again. People say, "Wow! How do you do that?" And it doesn't matter if their talking about math, music, or pool....when you tell them they have to work at it, that's usually the end of their enthusiasm.

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Old
  (#29)
BC21
Poolology

09-13-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
That's got to be the shortest video in the history of Youtube! lol Of course the shot you missed is difficult, being jacked up on the rail. I think these shots are made more difficult because we tend to hit them harder than necessary. We're hitting low so we are now hitting a draw shot so we think "shoot harder." Well that's my theory anyway.
Lol.....yes, very short! It's because I cut it in order to slow it down and analyze it with coach's eye, which I did. I should've uploaded the slow mo analysis of it, but I still get upset when I watch it!! Lol

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Old
  (#30)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member

09-13-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
Lol.....yes, very short! It's because I cut it in order to slow it down and analyze it with coach's eye, which I did. I should've uploaded the slow mo analysis of it, but I still get upset when I watch it!! Lol
Did the analysis teach you anything? Maybe not the best shot angle. Could be a lot of things happening.

Dan White

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: