Probably a dumb question. But still would like an answer... lol

jamesV1993

Registered
I have an unheated garage that I'm planning on putting a pool table in. It's a brunswick gold crown 1 9ft. I live near chicago and have very cold winters. I wanted to see if it's possible to use a heated blanket on the table to keep it warm. I was told the cold can harm the table( not sure if it's true) but I'd like to be safe. I was going to get a large heated blanket and a heavy duty vinyl cover to put over the blanket for some more insulation. Would this work?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have an unheated garage that I'm planning on putting a pool table in. It's a brunswick gold crown 1 9ft. I live near chicago and have very cold winters. I wanted to see if it's possible to use a heated blanket on the table to keep it warm. I was told the cold can harm the table( not sure if it's true) but I'd like to be safe. I was going to get a large heated blanket and a heavy duty vinyl cover to put over the blanket for some more insulation. Would this work?

Why not just put an oil heater in the garage, plug it in, then itll be warm to play pool as well.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Insulation on walls & ceiling.. Cheap at Home Depot. Plug in
an electric heater 1 hour before playing to warm up garage.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I would guess the table will play horrible when cold and it will also take a long time to warm it up. I was thinking of trying a couple water bed heaters under the slate on my GCI. My table is in my basement in WI, when its 70 degrees on the main floor its between 63 and 65 degrees in the basement. My table seems to slow down a little with the 5 degree or so drop compared to summer when it is 70 degrees downstairs.

jamesV1993

Registered
I was planning on getting a heater. But I dont want to run it fulltime. I was told that if the table gets to cold it can harm it. As in harm the wax between slate and harm the cushions. Is this true?

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Condensation from products of combustion. (CO2, H2O.) Electric heat doesn't share this problem.

I think he meant one of these, they are electric oil heaters.

ead70ddf-80f5-4b4c-87bb-0b26fcaab5ea_1000.jpg

mikewhy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wondering if it makes sense to leave it on under the table continuously, keeping it some sane temperature for indoor furniture. The ton of cold soaked slate heat mass doesn't seem like it will respond meaningfully in even a full day session.

My garage is insulated but not heated, Chgo suburb. I'm guessing it gets down to 40s, low 50s, even with a small ceramic heater going full time in the corner I claimed for the machine shop.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Wondering if it makes sense to leave it on under the table continuously, keeping it some sane temperature for indoor furniture. The ton of cold soaked slate heat mass doesn't seem like it will respond meaningfully in even a full day session.

My garage is insulated but not heated, Chgo suburb. I'm guessing it gets down to 40s, low 50s, even with a small ceramic heater going full time in the corner I claimed for the machine shop.

The only thing the cold is going to do, stiffen the cushions, once it's warmed up, they'll play normal.