Putting my cues away

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Yesterday, I put my cues back in the case after playing only one hour. Tears of frustration in my eyes. Shots I could make 80% of the time, I was missing 80% of the time.

I knew I had cataracts, but they've gotten worse. Left eye pretty dim. Straight lines look wavy...all the classic symptoms. Right eye still seems okay, tho at the last visit I was told I have a "minor" cataract there as well.

Well hell...stuff just happens once one has seen 3 score and 14 trips around the sun.

So, returning the balls to the counter, I told Jim to not think I was mad at anybody, just that I wasn't going to try playing again until my eyes get fixed.

The ophthalmologist we go to is out of the office over the holidays...so will be seeing him about the lens replacement thing. Heck, I've worn glasses since the 4th grade.
20-400 or worse since then. Maybe he can give me 20-20 with no glasses?

So...has anybody here had lens replacement surgery? Is it the miracle claimed?

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear sir...

A buddy and my mother have both had lens replacements with great success. Both of them are really happy with the results and my buddy is back playing pool after a few months.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Yesterday, I put my cues back in the case after playing only one hour. Tears of frustration in my eyes. Shots I could make 80% of the time, I was missing 80% of the time.

I knew I had cataracts, but they've gotten worse. Left eye pretty dim. Straight lines look wavy...all the classic symptoms. Right eye still seems okay, tho at the last visit I was told I have a "minor" cataract there as well.

Well hell...stuff just happens once one has seen 3 score and 14 trips around the sun.

So, returning the balls to the counter, I told Jim to not think I was mad at anybody, just that I wasn't going to try playing again until my eyes get fixed.

The ophthalmologist we go to is out of the office over the holidays...so will be seeing him about the lens replacement thing. Heck, I've worn glasses since the 4th grade.

I will be getting surgery for cataracts in my right eye some time in the next few months. From everything I've read it is a common surgery with minimal risk, and the results usually are excellent. My mother had the surgery recently and is amazed at how well she can see again (the best she's been able to see since she was in her 20's, she said). I have quit playing as well in the meantime.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have not had it done, but I have done a couple of them and assisted in several.

Nothing is without risks, and this is surgery, but on the whole I have to say it is an amazing procedure with generally great outcomes.

I look forward to hearing of your recovery and return to the tables. :smile:

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member

I had to check to see if I wrote that myself - although I haven't, and don't plan to, put my cues away. I haven't had the surgery done yet - but hope to in the near future. Getting some things sorted out on insurance and all. I do wish you the best of luck. Keeping my fingers crossed that this all lives up to the hype.

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
I had lasik after quitting for 10 years. It was great to see with 20/20 after many years of 20-300. I had my lasik 4 years ago. Now doc says I am starting to get cataracts. I will be getting a lens replacement as soon as it starts to affect my pool game and driving. So please let me know how yours turns out,.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Thanks everybody. I will keep you posted. Here's hoping it'll be one of those "why didn't I do this before?" things...

fab944

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about the cataracts. I've had both eyes fixed. One was done after I had lasik on it, actually.

Cataract surgery is very effective. I'm at 20-25, which is great, considering I was like you and had glasses since 2nd grade (20-250, with astigmatism, too).

Research all the surgeons in your area. They can do amazing things now with the technology. I wish you the best!

Frank Bilotta

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have had cataracts removed from both eyes. You need to decide on replacement lenses. I don’t recommended the bifocal lense. I got the lense for distance and I buy inexpensive reading glasses. The lense for distance are better for playing pool.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had cataracts removed from both eyes. You need to decide on replacement lenses. I don recommended the bifocal lense. I got the lense for distance and I buy inexpensive reading glasses. The lense for distance are better for playing pool.

Correct. I use distance contacts when I play pool. Perfect vision at the table.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Success

Both my wife and my brother in law had it done, both were very successful. My brother in law was so bad he could not read a racing form with a magnifying glass. Now he is back to reading it daily with just his normal glasses. Good luck I am confident you will be back on the table quicker then you think .

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had the procedure on both eyes. You should be very pleased with the results.

My only advice is twofold:

1. Research the drs. in your area doing cataract surgery. Some have better reps with their former patients.

2. Follow the post operative instructions regarding the eye drops and meds. You do not want an infection!

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had cataracts removed from both eyes. You need to decide on replacement lenses. I don recommended the bifocal lense. I got the lense for distance and I buy inexpensive reading glasses. The lense for distance are better for playing pool.
^^^ What he said. Same situation here, same great results. Good luck,sir!

Johnny Rosato ~ B'ham, Al.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member

I had my cataracts done and the doctor put in Crystalens. They can correct your vision but the one I chose was one for reading and the other for far vision. I never have to wear glasses or contacts and can do both reading and far vision. I highly recommend Dr. Hanes in Eugene, Or. unless you are confident in your doctor.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I had my cataracts done and the doctor put in Crystalens. They can correct your vision but the one I chose was one for reading and the other for far vision. I never have to wear glasses or contacts and can do both reading and far vision. I highly recommend Dr. Hanes in Eugene, Or. unless you are confident in your doctor.

Cindy & I have been going to this Doctor for years 40 years in practice, never a malpractice suit. So, will probably stick with him. I don't know how good this website is, though. Closer to home...

https://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-darrell-genstler-xscmx

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not had it done, but I have done a couple of them and assisted in several.

Nothing is without risks, and this is surgery, but on the whole I have to say it is an amazing procedure with generally great outcomes.

I look forward to hearing of your recovery and return to the tables. :smile:

Do you have opinions on laser-assisted vs. traditional scalpel incisions?

I am getting to the point of needing the surgery in one eye. Fortunately, it is not affecting my game because I use the better eye for pool.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one on my right eye which getting worse. I understand the frustration.

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had both eyes done in 2012. They did my weak eye first and the other one 2 weeks later. Lots of drops before and after. Surgery is fast and painless. I can see better than ever; but still need glasses - only so much correction is possible. 5 years later and I can still see well. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
my sis needed it in both eyes last year.

she had one eye done and the result was so astonishingly good she couldn't wait to get the other eye done.

both eyes were done within a few weeks of each other and she said it was easy with remarkable results.

GL pwd. They should have you back in action fast. :smile: