Frank paradise pictures

rdwell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's get out some pictures of Frank's cues. I believe he was a very underrated cue maker, He was in the era of the best

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 3,146
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 3,121
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 2,975
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 3,118

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frank Paradise Is Well Known

I recognize that Frank Paradise is a well known cue-maker and is admired by many. Nonetheless, when I look at the designs of these three specific Paradise cues, I candidly wonder to myself..........Why? How come? Just not my cup of tea in designs.......looks more like a deco collage of cue remnants thrown together to assemble a few cues. In any event, the name Paradise assuredly commands lots of attention in pool cues and in all likelihood, he was probably just more creative with cue designs for that period of cue-making history.

Last edited:

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Frank Paradise and George Balabushka had a very well known rivalry with cue sales and notoriety in the North East for a good 5-7 year stretch. They equally made cues for champions, they were the two top dogs for that stretch, in cuemaking.

Frank's contributions, might (probably) have been the first cuemaker to "soak" shafts to enhance scratch resistant properties and stabilization, use of plastics, and other non-wood materials, the plastic window, ring assemblies, and the threaded ferrule. BY converting simple house cues he may have made the first commonly known house cue conversion.

Eugene Balner started with him, and that is why quite a few Palmers have that "look". Especially first catalog and pre catalog era cues.

Like Bushka, the name foils may contain, Balsis, Caras, Mosconi, Lassiter, Crane, and many others... uniquely they also contain the names Hope (Bob), Mantle (Mickey), Martin (Dean Sr and Jr), Faulk (Peter), and supposedly many other noted celebrities.

Pictures are a Joe Balsis cue, a Sampaio conversion and Eddie Taylors cue....

JV

Attachments

• balsis_cue_007.jpg
    balsis_cue_007.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 2,529
  • pdise_butt1_hi.jpg
    pdise_butt1_hi.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 2,546
  • taylor_butt_hi.jpg
    taylor_butt_hi.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 2,617
Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frank Paradise was one of the pioneers and super creative
I love the designs,some were carried over to Palmer and are among my favorites

I believe I saw a few really fancy designs of his at Hollywood Billiards when Terry
was there at the original store

The Balsis is a cue design that I have often admired in tribute

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Frank Paradise-as you know my pics suck

Here is my Frank Paradise. I bought this in 1996 and it was my player for about 10 years. Fact is, if I had to play one game for the marbles, I think my confidence would force me to reach for this one.

It is around 19oz. It came with two Paradise shafts that had roll. Right after purchase, I had Paul Rubino make three shafts; one to make cue 57"as original, one 57.5, and my favorite, 58". I noticed the phrelonic rings on the new shafts turned yellow,(see last full picture) and I had Pete Tascarella made a great shaft matching the old white collar and matching the 58" length.... only with his magic feel. It plays even better.

I think this cue is unique as the points and butt sleeve are black ebony with classic veneer colors. The cue is dead straight and unlike many cues of its era, the back end is not thick, hence 19 oz. You can see I am emotionally attached to this one.

This will end up in my estate ....just a matter of to whom it will go as no one in my family plays pool. -:)

Attachments

• IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 2,435
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 2,581
  • DSCN0496.jpg
    DSCN0496.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 2,548
  • DSCN0495.jpg
    DSCN0495.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,557
  • DSCN0497.jpg
    DSCN0497.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 2,442
Last edited:

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Frank Paradise-as you know my pics suck

sorry duplicate

Last edited:

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank You

Thanks to all of you for sharing your Frank Paradise pictures. As a Palmer devotee and collector, nothing gets me more excited than seeing another fine Frank Paradise cue.

I appreciate all of his designs whether they have withstood the test of time or not. With many traditional designs being copied and translated today, it is refreshing to see a unique Paradise custom with it's use of catalin tube, uncommon placement of windows, or 6 and 11 stage wraps.

Hopefully, more owners and dealers will post some pictures of other Paradise cues.

rdwell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paradise

Thanks for the comments and pictures. Joe V I know you have pictures of some BIG Paradise cues. Big Ken that is a keeper for ever and very special. Ken I know I suck at pictures, spent all my money on cues, non left for a good camera. Don't you like the bow in my cues?

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
This very interesting, historical Paradise is available for sale.....

Attachments

• Cue1.jpg
    Cue1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,238
  • Cue2.jpg
    Cue2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2,447
  • Cue4.jpg
    Cue4.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 2,209
  • Cue5.jpg
    Cue5.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,240
  • Cue7.jpg
    Cue7.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,234

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
If I ever had the good fortune to hold that cue, you would have to call in assistance to help pry it from my hands.

Thanks, Jay. This is a super neat cue and it really belongs in one of the big collections. The owner tells me it has a very solid hit! :thumbup:

Also....a few pics of ones I've had.

Attachments

• paradise-sean-1-fh.jpg
    paradise-sean-1-fh.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,145
  • paradise-sean-1-bh.jpg
    paradise-sean-1-bh.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 2,161
  • paradise-sean-2-fh.jpg
    paradise-sean-2-fh.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2,169
  • paradise-sean-2-bh.jpg
    paradise-sean-2-bh.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,113
Last edited:

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
Let's get out some pictures of Frank's cues. I believe he was a very underrated cue maker, He was in the era of the best

I've never seen that green pearl before.

I'm extremely jealous of that. Gorgeous cue.

Billiardscollec

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only own a simple titlist. Window is faded, but it says Jim Gray inside.

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 757
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 656
  • IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 633

billiardcue

11th Commandment
Silver Member
Mosconi to Mantle Paradise

Willie Mosconi commissioned Frank Paradise to build this cue for his friend Mickey Mantle.
Mosconi, Mantle and Paradise all three are hall of famers in their respective fields of fields of endeavor.

paradise_Q1968 v.jpg

This magnificent cue is available from BilliardCue.com

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
House Specials

Three Paradise House Specials and one Palmer Pre-Catalog Model E.

Attachments

• img_6555-resized2.jpg
    img_6555-resized2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

TILT9

Banned
I don't exactly understand the construction techniques Frank Paradise developed , but
it's been said the cues shoot lights out.