Southwest compound taper butt?

JC

Coos Cues
Does anyone have a schematic of the measurements that they could share?

I have never had one in my hands to measure it. People have asked me if I can make a butt tapered like that and of course the answer is yes if I knew how it was shaped.

Thanks,

JC

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JC.
With all due respect. The answer should be. I want to develope my own tapers that I want for my cues before I start playing with what others are doing.

JC

Coos Cues
JC.
With all due respect. The answer should be. I want to develope my own tapers that I want for my cues before I start playing with what others are doing.

I have long since developed my own prefered taper. It's conical from .850 down to 1.250.

I hope no one is copying it.:)

JC

JC

Coos Cues
Okie dokie

My initial question may have come off wrong. Obviously I'm not building anything on order until I learn how to put a finish on a cue. Probably not even then. Not my idea of a business model. But I have been asked about this and I've never seen one and wasn't even aware they built them that way so all I had was a blank stare. I thought I would look at it to have an opinion. But I don't have the lifespan or budget to order a SW. Inquiring minds want to know. And since I have the capability to cut anything I wan't via CNC what's the harm in it? It's not like I'm asking for the KFC herb and spice recipe. (or is it)

And lets say I try it and decide I like it better than what I've tried before? And build every cue with a taper just like it moving forward? So what? It's still not a SW.

I use a shaft taper I copied from my favorite player made by another cue maker. With no remorse I may add. I like how it plays.

I guess I'm a lot like China:embarrassed2:

JC

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My initial question may have come off wrong. Obviously I'm not building anything on order until I learn how to put a finish on a cue. Probably not even then. Not my idea of a business model. But I have been asked about this and I've never seen one and wasn't even aware they built them that way so all I had was a blank stare. I thought I would look at it to have an opinion. But I don't have the lifespan or budget to order a SW. Inquiring minds want to know. And since I have the capability to cut anything I wan't via CNC what's the harm in it? It's not like I'm asking for the KFC herb and spice recipe. (or is it)

And lets say I try it and decide I like it better than what I've tried before? And build every cue with a taper just like it moving forward? So what? It's still not a SW.

I use a shaft taper I copied from my favorite player made by another cue maker. With no remorse I may add. I like how it plays.

I guess I'm a lot like China:embarrassed2:

JC

Forums can be tough action and sometimes I come off like a DICK. I can live with it. But even when I saw what your calling your cues. I didn't think if you. I thought of Kenny Koo. In reality, if you would like to know the spec's of someone's cues. Call them. Aside from what I've said. I'm sure someone will give you what your asking for.

JC

Coos Cues
Forums can be tough action and sometimes I come off like a DICK. I can live with it. But even when I saw what your calling your cues. I didn't think if you. I thought of Kenny Koo. In reality, if you would like to know the spec's of someone's cues. Call them. Aside from what I've said. I'm sure someone will give you what your asking for.

The English language is pretty well played out too.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JC.

If you`d stop and think for a second, it might not be that he wants to copy the SW taper, but as part of the learning experience, he want`s the measurements, so he can experiment, to gain more knowledge, it seems quite unfair to have to pay $3000 or more to buy a SW, just in order to check out their taper.
Experimenting with tapers is very interesting and you learn alot in the process.

Reactions: JC

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Copying is a very common practice among cue makers.
Look at all the South West style cues that are made.

I believe that South West used one taper rate for the fore arm and a different taper rate from the "A" joint back to the bumper.

I like the South West shaft taper profile but always make it a bit looser that they cut it.
Never tried making a compound butt taper.

Hope someone can give you 1/2 inch measurements of the SW butt.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you`d stop and think for a second, it might not be that he wants to copy the SW taper, but as part of the learning experience, he want`s the measurements, so he can experiment, to gain more knowledge, it seems quite unfair to have to pay $3000 or more to buy a SW, just in order to check out their taper.
Experimenting with tapers is very interesting and you learn alot in the process.

I didn't say buy. I said call them. As in call and ask them for their spec's.

JC

Coos Cues
I didn't say buy. I said call them. As in call and ask them for their spec's.

I wouldn't do that. To me that's a bit moochy.

To ask someone who has one in their possession to take a caliper to it, not so much.

Which is why I asked here.

That's just me.

JC

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I believe that South West used one taper rate for the fore arm and a different taper rate from the "A" joint back to the bumper.

Hope someone can give you 1/2 inch measurements of the SW butt.
Ya think?
The forearm has some .230" taper .
If you maintained that on a 16+" long handle, what would the bottom size be ?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't do that. To me that's a bit moochy.

To ask someone who has one in their possession to take a caliper to it, not so much.

Which is why I asked here.

That's just me.

JC

I hear ya and I have them. I just don't think I could live with myself as a Cue maker to give them up. I apologise.

JC

Coos Cues
I hear ya and I have them. I just don't think I could live with myself as a Cue maker to give them up. I apologise.

Two all beef patties lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun.

If only we had that special sauce!

This is getting absurd.

:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

JC

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two all beef patties lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun.

If only we had that special sauce!

This is getting absurd.

:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

JC

I did apologise. We just come from different schools.

JC

Coos Cues
I did apologise. We just come from different schools.

There was no apology needed had you simply not felt the need to inform me that you actually had what I sought but weren't sharing. My older sisters used to do that with candy when I was about 6 years old.

Brought back memories.:killingme:

JC

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was no apology needed had you simply not felt the need to inform me that you actually had what I sought but weren't sharing. My older sisters used to do that with candy when I was about 6 years old.

Brought back memories.:killingme:

JC

You got me. I got 4 older sisters. I remember. :thumbup:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Draw a really big circle and cut out at 28.75" portion.
There ya go, SW taper. :grin: