Mohawk cue

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I made a shaft for a Mohawk cue........ the pin seems to be 3/8-11 but it will not screw together. The minor on the thread measures about .340............

Does anyone have any suggestions???

thanks

Kim

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If memory serves me right the imported Mohawk cues had 3/8-12 threads.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made a shaft for a Mohawk cue........ the pin seems to be 3/8-11 but it will not screw together. The minor on the thread measures about .340............

Does anyone have any suggestions???

thanks

Kim

Hi Kim
They came with a 3/8x10. But it's a different angle. When I had a tap made for it, Widell said it was called a negative thread. I have no idea what that means but the tap they made works.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
ok... thanks for the info........ I think I will pass on making a shaft for that cue................

just a thought..... I under stand that, in an effort to make something unique, the cue maker has made something that people will pass by because of it's uniqueness....

Kim

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok... thanks for the info........ I think I will pass on making a shaft for that cue................

just a thought..... I under stand that, in an effort to make something unique, the cue maker has made something that people will pass by because of it's uniqueness....

Kim

They were low dollar cues. Played pretty good but very high level of warpage. They've been out of business for a long time.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Kim
They came with a 3/8x10. But it's a different angle. When I had a tap made for it, Widell said it was called a negative thread. I have no idea what that means but the tap they made works.

A simple google search came up with threading on gun silencers and I think it might mean that it threads on counter-clockwise? I suppose if you had to screw it on backwards you'd remember that, though.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A simple google search came up with threading on gun silencers and I think it might mean that it threads on counter-clockwise? I suppose if you had to screw it on backwards you'd remember that, though.

Not a lefty. :grin-square:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Kim
Well you just made me spend about a half hour studying this stuff. It looks like negative thread means the pin screw diameter is slightly larger than the tapped hole. That would make sense with the tightness of the fit.
Negative Tap rake means the edge of the tap angle is ground slightly backwards on the scraping action.

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Well you just made me spend about a half hour studying this stuff. It looks like negative thread means the pin screw diameter is slightly larger than the tapped hole. That would make sense with the tightness of the fit.
Negative Tap rake means the edge of the tap angle is ground slightly backwards on the scraping action.

The major diameter of the pin measures .370......... so it's about 3/8in

I am thinking if I run a drill in the shaft to make the already threaded hole about .340 it might work.......the original hole was 5/16 (.312)...... (the minor on the thread measures .340

what do you think???

Kim

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The major diameter of the pin measures .370......... so it's about 3/8in

I am thinking if I run a drill in the shaft to make the already threaded hole about .340 it might work.......the original hole was 5/16 (.312)...... (the minor on the thread measures .340

what do you think???

Kim

That would only leave .015 actual threads. Not real good. The minor is a lot smaller than .340. More like .306. I actually thought the minor was smaller but when I did a sample piece. I got .306 and a good fit.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mohawk I had a year or so ago was 3/8 x 11. I bought 3/8 x 11 JP's and they threaded right on shaft and butt. Not sure if they had a specific pitch angle or were odd but that's what I had.

-Kat,

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mohawk I had a year or so ago was 3/8 x 11. I bought 3/8 x 11 JP's and they threaded right on shaft and butt. Not sure if they had a specific pitch angle or were odd but that's what I had.

-Kat,

Did you buy the cue direct from Mohawk?

Jedivman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 3 Mohawks, they are all 3/8-11. The shafts are a very tight fit. On my first 1 in the early 90's I shattered a shaft and had an old Mc Dermott laying around. With some lithium and time the Mc D fit fine, played decent too. But it is the ferrule and taper on the Mohawk shaft that gives it that awesome hit.

Jedivman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
received_10159184175450136.jpeg

#7 All original factory finished

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 3 Mohawks, they are all 3/8-11. The shafts are a very tight fit. On my first 1 in the early 90's I shattered a shaft and had an old Mc Dermott laying around. With some lithium and time the Mc D fit fine, played decent too. But it is the ferrule and taper on the Mohawk shaft that gives it that awesome hit.

That is good to know. I have a screw from a Mohawk and it sure don't fit my 11.

Jedivman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been searching for nice straight ones for almost 20 years. I just recently acquired 3 pristine perfectly straight ones. I love how well they play and look as well.

Very underrated cues imo.

Jedivman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can get a 3/8-10 on if you lube the threads and work it down and off many times. As I said I did it in the 90s and used that same shaft in it for a good 8 years.

I think it maybe a goofy pitch