What's needed for a successful league?

shoutout33

"The Emperor"
Silver Member
Hello. First of all, I do not own a pool hall. I'm thinking about starting a league and I have the owners blessing as long I bring players. I spoke with a very good friend who knows about the place (Q-Ball 1 Billiards in Capital Heights, MD) and he thinks that it might not be a good idea. Reason being, its more of a traditional pool hall than billiards cafe. He has sodas and snacks, but no alcohol or food? This is the one-pocket place I mentioned in my poll post. Is it possible for a league to be successful with without liquor or food?Also, thinking about doing an APA Masters league, because of the difficult tables. Thanks for your time and input.

Daris L. Cotton

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see any reason why an establishment would not welcome such a league even if there is no alcohol. The league operator and the establishment just need to work out the terms in order to make it work for both sides.

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
As long as the owner is making more money or losing less money than a traditional night. If you pick the night the owner only makes $100.00 and there is enough players to make MORE than $100.00 in reduced table time or snack sales you can work it out. We have league two nights a week in my room. Costs us about $150/ day lost income with the reduced pool time. You have to have an owner willing to give back to people who deserve it.

ironsoldier71

Registered
Hello. First of all, I do not own a pool hall. I'm thinking about starting a league and I have the owners blessing as long I bring players. I spoke with a very good friend who knows about the place (Q-Ball 1 Billiards in Capital Heights, MD) and he thinks that it might not be a good idea. Reason being, its more of a traditional pool hall than billiards cafe. He has sodas and snacks, but no alcohol or food? This is the one-pocket place I mentioned in my poll post. Is it possible for a league to be successful with without liquor or food?Also, thinking about doing an APA Masters league, because of the difficult tables. Thanks for your time and input.

Daris L. Cotton

The main thing is to have the right LO running the thing. In this case it is you. Make sure the payouts are in black and white. Ideally, the players should know falling behind on dues affects the payouts and their ability to stay in the league.

Then you need the right league format to go off of. I would first determine what kind of player your going to attract. Non handi cap BCA is the gold standard. handi cap I might suggest TAP. I hate the APA lately...too much crap going on. Also since there is not booze you might have less fights. That is a good thing.

As long as you have an agreement that works for the establishment owner your good. Make sure again to post the expectations of the payout. IE 90/10... 90% player payout 10% to LO for running the operations. Something like that. Make sure those numbers always balance out or the players will come hunt you down. rightfully so...

Kind Regards,
Michael McDonald
Shooters Billiard Supply
www.shootersbilliardsupply.com
Player: Two Feather Anasazi by Viking Pool Cues (11 of 150)
Shaft: ViKore Shaft by Viking Pool Cues
Break: Predator Break 3 Pool Cue
Jump: Air 2 by Predator Pool Cues
Case: Instroke 3x5 Southwest Black Pool Cue Case
Table: Diamond Pro Am 9 ft with Aramith Tourney TV Pool Balls

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
What's the current status of this new league?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk