Lou Butera Cue

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that cue is an Adam (that was made made in Japan, by Helmstetter's cue company), which looks much higher quality then the cue that the OP posted pictures of.

The last poster that replied said that he knew for a fact that the OP's cue was made by Viking. Any opinions about this?

Thanks.

The second cue is Asian. I am pretty confident of that.

The first is a Viking. I am pretty confident of that.

IMHO the first is likely the higher quality cue while the second is fancier. The second cue may or may not have been made by Adam. Not sure.

How did you dig this up? Researching the two Butera cues on Ebay? :wink:

IMHO the first is likely the higher quality cue while the second is fancier. The second cue may or may not have been made by Adam. Not sure.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am very curious about the one on ebay (with points and veneers). Do you think it is a Viking? Do you have an opinion on the value of it? Thanks.

I just now noticed the rubber bumper on the OP's cue. I can see now why you think it is a Viking (that is the same rubber bumper used on the older Viking cues, I think). The cue in the link below has a completely different type of rubber bumper (looks like a Meucci style bumper, but I know that many Asian cues have that same type of bumper).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOU-BUTERA-...918076?hash=item360689a57c:g:CKAAAOSwqfNXoqjP

So, yeah, I think it is a Chinese made cue (in the link above). That is probably why it has not sold yet, I am guessing.

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Irregardless, IMHO, unless you can steal the pointed veneers hall of fame cue on ebay for like 200$, there are much better cues that will hold value better. You would be lucky to ever get your money back on the butera cue should you sell as there is no following.,

My 3 team members that I have helped get their first cues have been McDermott G series, that I get for around $235 w a basic case from a dealer or two. The cues retail for over $350, so they can always trade up without losing money. I found a brand new G 706 with I-2 shaft that retailed for $875+ that I picked up on Panjo for $275 shipped, and let my team captai buy it at that. I can't profit on friends.... too bad as I wanted to flip it for $600, being that several was on e bay for $699.

He loves it and is in it at a great price. HIs first cue buy, and he really was not ready to buy it until I showed it to him as he has about a $250 price point.

So be vigilant in your purchase, watch what things are selling for and buy when those need to sell, or when you know you are getting a great deal.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if this was Lou's cue or an endorsement deal with Saul Rich.

This cue has the EXACT same decals on the butt (weight, model #) as every cue I've ever seen sold out of ADAM Japan. I'm not saying it isn't an Asian knockoff, but it if is, they used knockoff decals, as well.

Here is an LB-1 Hall of Fame cue that was made by ADAM Japan...unless somebody copied their line of cues.

http://www.shootersbilliards.com/lou-butera-pool-cue-lb-1.html

And here is a BU-1.

http://www.shootersbilliards.com/Lou-Butera-Pool-Cue-BU-1.html

Look at the decals at the butt on the cue. Same decals.

And here is an LB-3. Same cue.

http://www.shootersbilliards.com/lou-butera-pool-cue-lb-3.html

Last edited:
This cue has the EXACT same decals on the butt (weight, model #) as every cue I've ever seen sold out of ADAM Japan. I'm not saying it isn't an Asian knockoff, but it if is, they used knockoff decals, as well.

Here is an LB-1 Hall of Fame cue that was made by ADAM Japan...unless somebody copied their line of cues.

http://www.shootersbilliards.com/lou-butera-pool-cue-lb-1.html

And here is a BU-1.

http://www.shootersbilliards.com/Lou-Butera-Pool-Cue-BU-1.html

Look at the decals at the butt on the cue. Same decals.

And here is an LB-3. Same cue.

http://www.shootersbilliards.com/lou-butera-pool-cue-lb-3.html

Yeah, Adam Japan was my 1st (and only) thought to, as to who made that cue. I always loved the cues made by Adam Japan. Really nice quality cues.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious...which do you think is better. The Adam, or the Viking?

And why?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this sentence.

Irregardless, IMHO, unless you can steal the pointed veneers hall of fame cue on ebay for like 200$,

Steal? OK.

The cue on Ebay is in what looks like pristine condition and I am counting 9 vinyl veneers in the points. and it has a BUY IT NOW PRICE OF $100.

That makes it a Viking I believe, not one of the Adam made HOF series cues. And how many have you seen with 9 veneers?

Oh...and it has a 4.13 oz shaft. :smile:

I can't tell for sure from the pics but it might be a three point cue.

And I believe the Viking to pre-date the Adam HOF cues by maybe 20 years or so, maybe 25. I believe the Viking is a mid-eighties cue.

So: US made mid-eighties Viking cue, 9 vinyl veneers on sharp points. Pristine condition. Linen wrap, 4.13oz shaft.

Kind of looks a little better described that way and offered at $100, eh?
:)

Last edited:

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
OK...I'll bite. Being a little educated and all, I am very curious. :smile:

If it is not a word...
What is it? :D

word

It is an incorrect use of the word 'regardless'. I don't know if it was first used to make a $2 word into a $5 word or a mishearing that was repeated and took off but because it is used in place of the word it is mistaken for and should really mean the opposite suggests that it is indeed not a word. Sure, it is used in both speech and print sometimes but that doesn't make it right. I also concede that the more it is misused the more it becomes a word, however, that doesn't make it right.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is an incorrect use of the word 'regardless'. I don't know if it was first used to make a $2 word into a $5 word or a mishearing that was repeated and took off but because it is used in place of the word it is mistaken for and should really mean the opposite suggests that it is indeed not a word. Sure, it is used in both speech and print sometimes but that doesn't make it right. I also concede that the more it is misused the more it becomes a word, however, that doesn't make it right.

I would disagree.

It is an informal use, not an incorrect use. It would be accurate to say it is an incorrect form.

Which does not make it wrong.

We are in an informal setting, which makes it right. :D

To be very precise, you were unable to answer the question anyway. I asked what it is if not a word. You were unable to say that it is anything other than a word. You were only able to say it is incorrect, not that it is something other than a word. Since the object of the game seems to be correcting people, I thought it appropriate to point that out. :D

Since that fun is over. Does anybody remember seeing a 9 vinyl veneer cue like this before? I believe it is a Viking made cue. This cue has the same butt cap and signature as the OP cue and is one of the Ebay cues Justin was asking about earlier in the thread.

(pics linked from Ebay sale)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
I would disagree.

It is an informal use, not an incorrect use. It would be accurate to say it is an incorrect form.

Which does not make it wrong.

We are in an informal setting, which makes it right. :D

To be very precise, you were unable to answer the question anyway. I asked what it is if not a word. You were unable to say that it is anything other than a word. You were only able to say it is incorrect, not that it is something other than a word. Since the object of the game seems to be correcting people, I thought it appropriate to point that out. :D

Very good points. :thumbup: I must have subconsciously ;) ignored the part where you were pointing out the semantics of the fact that it is technically a word and not the inferred point that it shouldn't exist and/or is an improper form of the word regardless. :sorry: After all, my point, which I probably should have worded better, is that irregardless means 'not without regard' but is always used to mean 'without regard'. Thus the point being it is not a form of the word that should exist.

I appreciate you correcting me but I was not trying to correct anyone as much as inform readers of a common misuse of a word. Thus the reason I stripped the quote of any name or post reference and, instead, listed is a generalized piece of information. :embarrassed2: :thumbup: :D

I will now return you to your programming already in progress....

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
View attachment 264408

View attachment 264409

View attachment 264410

View attachment 264411

Can anyone tell me anything about this cue? I've never seen another like it and I can't find anything on the web that would tell me who made it. I've never seen a Lou Butera with the signature anywhere but the forearm.
The rubber bumper and joint looks like Viking to me. The black on the end of the butt plate does not look so much like Viking to me. Viking used to sell cue parts to many makers and make private lines for other people. So I am still thinking Viking had a hand in that cue.

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading everything, here and valid points, i have to concur that the op, tigs cue, identical to mine has to be a Viking cue. I did not know butera but heard he was not the kind of guy that would have a line of cues, NOT made in the USA, And the pristene white butt cap, not found ob adams cue, and others set forth, was a clincher 4me.

Case closed.. at least 4 me, benn trying to pin this cue down for yrs. Thanks 4 all the help

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rubber bumper and joint looks like Viking to me. The black on the end of the butt plate does not look so much like Viking to me. Viking used to sell cue parts to many makers and make private lines for other people. So I am still thinking Viking had a hand in that cue.

I agree. The pin and collar look like viking of that Era as well. I think the viking connection is strong if not actually viking made. I really don't think Adam.

Viking sold parts as well as blanks. A lot of history with the old Viking.

Any thoughts on the 9 veneer cue I posted? Not WICO for sure. Later than that. But I believe of the same series or lineage as the op cue. Viking veneers I think.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not trying to hijack the thread, I posed the same question a while ago - no luck.

I have done my fair share of looking and can find nothing like mine either. Hopefully there is a Lou Butera expert out there.

Good luck!

A little housekeeping as I found this and realized I never responded.

This is a "Rich Q". Made by Rich in New York...not Abe. I am 100% certain on that.

The others we talked about were accurately identified as Viking and Adam made cues respectively. Both of which were/are pretty decent cues.

I am still looking for any marketing materials for the Viking Butera cues and have so far come up empty except that I have confirmed they were made by Viking. I would love to see a brochure or catalog.

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Lou Butera merry widow is just as new and pristine as when I bought it. The birdseye was top quality, and the finish was as well. I recently bought a viking window cue from about 84, and the clear coat and craftsmanship on that N200 was sub par. However I have 2 other N series cues from that same catalog, that were at the higher end of the i.e. a N450, et al (with the better implex joints), and they were considerably better quality.

The shaft that came with my Butera had a Black joint that matched up perfectly in color and fit with that of the Viking N200...... so that seems to support that it was viking made.

I may call viking and seee if I can find any additional info.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Lou Butera merry widow is just as new and pristine as when I bought it. The birdseye was top quality, and the finish was as well. I recently bought a viking window cue from about 84, and the clear coat and craftsmanship on that N200 was sub par. However I have 2 other N series cues from that same catalog, that were at the higher end of the i.e. a N450, et al (with the better implex joints), and they were considerably better quality.

The shaft that came with my Butera had a Black joint that matched up perfectly in color and fit with that of the Viking N200...... so that seems to support that it was viking made.

I may call viking and seee if I can find any additional info.

I have talked to Viking. A member here is a representative. I was told that if they find any old records they will post it, but perhaps a reminder is in order.

The example I have has 9 vinyl veneers ( I found that impressive ) and is in remarkably good condition. The quality is very good with a very good finish.